Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Povetkin's Promoter: Deontay Wilder Fight Will Happen in Russia!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
    I'm really going to enjoy the build-up for this one: Wilder steps off the plane in Russia 2 weeks before the fight and finds no fans there to greet him, everyone is white and he stands out like a sore thumb. He feels like I did when I got off the train in London and thought I was in Pakistan, "I'm the odd one out here"....

The media hype and attention is all on Povetkin and Wilder can't understand what any one is saying apart from his own team, the enormity of the situation dawns on him the closer the fight gets, thoughts of defeat start entering his head more and more with every passing day.

The pre-fight press conference sees a subdued Wilder as no one can understand what he is saying and even his own English is poor, after a short speech his final cry of "BOMB SQUAD!!!" is met with silence by the pro Povetkin crowd and looks of bemusement as to what the **** this guy just shouted.....

The weigh-in arrives and Wilder walks out in front of thousands of Russians waving their country's flag and chanting "Povetkin, Povetkin". He tries to act cool but is not his usual self. At the face-off he tries to intimidate Povetkin but he can't understand him either and meets him with a cold, icy stare. Wilder starts to get even more nervous.....

Fight night is here and Wilder hasn't slept well with all the thoughts going through his head and his uncomfortable surroundings. He is in the changing room feeling nervous and shaking, Povetkin descends to the ring in front of a huge Russian crowd, Wilder can hear the wall of noise reverberating through his changing room, his arsehole tightens....

Wilder makes the slow walk from his changing room, he's bricking himself by this point, he enters the arena and is faced with the biggest crowd he has ever seen and they are all booing him! This will be his final walk and the last time he will ever see a crowd this big at one of his fights.

The fight starts and Povetkin walks straight over to meet him in the centre of the ring, Povetkin lands and the crowd goes wild! Wilders gameplan goes out the window and he loses all composure, swinging and missing wildly while Povetkin chops at his body and lands hooks to his head. He barely makes it out the first round. The second round goes much the same way, Povetkin boxing smartly and Wilder missing and looking like an amateur in there. He stumbles back to his corner after another couple knock-downs. Povetkin really starts to raise the pressure and lands another heavy leaping hook with Wilder off balance and wide open, he misses the count and Povetkin is the new WBC champ. Scenes of jubilation are broadcast around the world while Wilder gets treated on his stool....

After the fight Wilder goes back to his daughter and is now set-up for life, a self made millionaire who has done well through hard work and limited skill. He will be used as an example in boxing circles as someone who can easily build up a huge record of ko's and get a title by fighting weak opposition and be brought up whenever another hype-job comes along with a padded record....

The END...
    Nice piece of writing!

Have you thought of doing it for a living? I was feeling nervous for poor Deontay myself by the time he made it down to the ring!

I don't think it will pan out like that though.

Wilder, with his height, booming voice and extrovert fashion sense, is a walking, talking caricature of what a big, brash, black American HW boxing champ is supposed to look like and sound like.

Think Apollo Creed from the Rocky films, which all the Russian boxing fans will have seen.

The Russians will obviously be supporting their man, but I think they'll take to Wilder and show him respect, even if he wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by tiliheels View Post
      hell no i dont want him to drop..i just want povetkin identified as a diva just like any other fighter would be called..and lets not act like haymon didnt give the decision to brook and mcdonnell over his own fighters..he's been fair to anyone crossing the pond..
      Look ... Povetkin's promoter won the purse bid, and when Haymon/DiBella wouldn't give him the cut he was asking for to stage the fight in America he opted for home advantage instead.

That's not being a diva, that's just basic common sense thinking, ffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        Nice piece of writing!

Have you thought of doing it for a living? I was feeling nervous for poor Deontay myself by the time he made it down to the ring!

I don't think it will pan out like that though.

Wilder, with his height, booming voice and extrovert fashion sense, is a walking, talking caricature of what a big, brash, black American HW boxing champ is supposed to look like and sound like.

Think Apollo Creed from the Rocky films, which all the Russian boxing fans will have seen.

The Russians will obviously be supporting their man, but I think they'll take to Wilder and show him respect, even if he wins.
        I really see this as Wilder stepping into a situation that he has never experienced before. The level of opponent is a big jump from what he is used to and the build-up and location just adds to the pressure Imo. This is a big test and he deserves full credit if he wins

I think the Russian crowd will be a lot more hostile especially with the sanctions placed on them by America at the moment and the way things are politically. The promotion for this will be America vs Russia. I think it will be a cauldron in there by the time Wider walks out.

Pressure wil play a big part. Can Wilder perform well enough under that pressure and against a world level opponent? Guess we'l find out.

Comment

Why would Povetkin's promoter give himself back a cut from the purse he won? He'll pay trainers etc yes but Wilder will be giving up a large chunk of that purse to Haymon and his management team. Wilder is bringing nothing to this fight, no fans or PPV. Povetkin is bringing the fans and Russian PPV so his promoter will make the purse money back from that. The gate and PPV for this will be huge and Wilder won't get ANY cut of that. I'd imagine Povetkin will get some though
          That's just the way it works. Povetkin's promoter would have signed him originally for big money up front prior to any fights being agreed. Thus he gets a % of what he makes, usually around 20%. Standard deal for all fighters. No fighters would use promoters otherwise.

Team Wilder under the WBA rules would have got around 75% of the $7m purse had they won the bid. because they didn't win but are still the champion I think that falls to something like 60% of the $7m purse. So the entire team Wilder make a maximum of $4.2m between themselves. Even if the fight is on ppv in the USA now for instance and went on to make $50m team Wilder would still only get $4.2m from the purse. It really was a pathetic bid from Team Wilder considering the potential magnitude of the fight.

Comment

I really see this as Wilder stepping into a situation that he has never experienced before. The level of opponent is a big jump from what he is used to and the build-up and location just adds to the pressure Imo. This is a big test and he deserves full credit if he wins

I think the Russian crowd will be a lot more hostile especially with the sanctions placed on them by America at the moment and the way things are politically. The promotion for this will be America vs Russia. I think it will be a cauldron in there by the time Wider walks out.

Pressure wil play a big part. Can Wilder perform well enough under that pressure and against a world level opponent? Guess we'l find out.
            There will be a lot of pressure on Povetkin too.

I read a quote from him saying that he wouldn't mind fighting Wilder in America because he would be able to get on with his preparations in peace, instead of being continually harassed by fans and the media like he was before the Wlad fight.

Maybe Wilder should try and crank up the pressure as much as he can.

Somebody in another thread suggested using this song for his ring walk:

Comment

• Russia or America... It doesn't matter.

Povetkin doesn't have the best head movement.

Wilder will work the jabs and straight right's down the pipe... BOOM.

At least Povetkin will be close to his bed when he goes to sleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                Look ... Povetkin's promoter won the purse bid, and when Haymon/DiBella wouldn't give him the cut he was asking for to stage the fight in America he opted for home advantage instead.

That's not being a diva, that's just basic common sense thinking, ffs.
                ok the goal is not to go to purse bid it is to accept proper deals...and from day one they said "we are going to purse bid"...that is diva crap...any other fighter would get slaughtered for not dealing at the table...i know i would..idc if he goes to russia it only gets him respect from me, but povetkin should be looked at with a close eye.

Comment

• Originally posted by titan m View Post
                  They won the purse bid, they can hold the fight where they want to. I'm only three pages into the thread and already you must have a dozen posts crying how its not fair. If they didn't want to go to Russia they should've bid higher at the purse bid.
                  yep won the purse bid and had no interest in making a deal at all so they could stage the fight somewhere they are comfortoable setting up a possible robbery..see u ppl like to critically think when a person is your fave, but when haymon or his fighters are involved u let everything slide..like i said i dont care if wilder goes to russia that increases his legend..my only point is why is povetkin not being called a diva and why arent ppl on his case for this crap like they would be with anyone else

Comment

• Originally posted by tiliheels View Post
                    ok the goal is not to go to purse bid it is to accept proper deals...and from day one they said "we are going to purse bid"...that is diva crap...any other fighter would get slaughtered for not dealing at the table...i know i would..idc if he goes to russia it only gets him respect from me, but povetkin should be looked at with a close eye.
                    No they didn't say from day one they were going to a purse bid. They came over to the States over a month before the bid was due to be called and stayed there negotiating with DiBella till the deadline expired.

Have you not been following this story at all?

And did you slaughter Stevenson and call him a diva for refusing to negotiate with Duva and demanding an immediate purse bid?

Comment

• Originally posted by ThumperMcDougal View Post
                      Russia or America... It doesn't matter.

Povetkin doesn't have the best head movement.

Wilder will work the jabs and straight right's down the pipe... BOOM.

At least Povetkin will be close to his bed when he goes to sleep.
                      Wilder might not have time to get his jab working. I think Povetkin will be straight on him like a charging rhino, trying to get close enough to land his own big punches before Deontay has time to settle.

And if he connects, it will be lights out for Wilder.

Comment

Working...
                      X