Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Canelo vs. Khan Master Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Khan fans shouldn't be happy about this, they'll be demanding Oscar is charged for manslaughter post fight.

Comment

• I am glad Canelo gave a great fighter like Khan a shot when the other cowards didnt want to face him.

PPV Buys 8 million.!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REED™
        Regardless of Khans insanity... he's actually the one with balls out of the two here.
        Sad but true

Comment

• This fight is so crazy but I don't see how it's not entertaining. Khan basically is a no hoper but he will try. And to those complaining about this fight, who should Canelo fight? Rosado? Monroe? This will be an event. Canelo vs GGG wasn't happening next and we all know that. Khan is getting the big fight he wanted and now let's see it play out.

Comment

• a.k.a. KING$ofBOXING : MEXICO vs. ENGLAND !

R-E-L-A-X
            THE BIG PICTURE: Boxing is going through a transition period , CANELO is taking over the most prestigious and lucrative dates in boxing , two of the Mexican Holidays , May & Sep, dates that have become a tradition for the King of Boxing to fight on. CANELO is the new King of Boxing , and he will be taking over these dates as well as opening up the new MGM on May 7 , 2016, he needed a big name as well as a very talented threat for the May fight and Amir Kahn fits the criteria, it could of been GGG but he don't want to man up and make 155 pounds when he told the world he can make 154 for other guys. CANELO is carrying the CANELO vs GGG build up because GGG is going to fight Dominick Wade(BUM). Stylisticaly khan is an intriguing fight for CANELO. I'm excited to see this PPV showdown.

-CANELO's star power will grow when he accumulates more fans from the UK after this fight

-Won't be surprised if CANELO vs KHAN sells more PPV's then CANELO vs GGG because GGG has fought no one yet and is said to be fighting a rookie(BUM) in WADE which does nothing to boost his career or build up, hype up his fight with CANELO, and that's if GGG doesn't duck CANELO at 155 , cause history has shown us that GGG is a coward pompous girly man who ducks and runs for the hills of Kazahkstan when the best fighters call his bluff at 154-168. GGG a.k.a DDD (Diva Ducking Daily)

$$$/CANELO\$$$
            THE NEW KING OF BOXING
            WBC DIAMOND BELT CHAMPION
            2015 FIGHTER OF THE YEAR
            2015 KNOCKOUT OF THE YEAR
            EL GRAN CAMPEON MEXICANO
            OLD SCHOOL THROWBACK FIGHTER

-side note : racist anti-Mexicans and haters in general have no place in BOXING , so get out and stay out!
            WE MUST UNITE AND RID BOXING OF RACISM , STEREOTYPES AND BIAS!......-KING$ofBOXING
            Last edited by REYESdelBOXEO; 02-03-2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• once khan wins by 12 decision this fight will do wonders for his reputation..

Comment

• There are almost 700 posts to this article, and it is the first time that I see everyone agreeing on something "THIS FIGHT IS A JOKE". A "Middle weight" against a 140 pounder?. Khan is going to get hurt really bad. Even Cotto's power couldn't move Canelo so I doubt "Popcorn Hands Khan" can do something significant to hurt, or even back Canelo up. I don't know how the sanctioning bodies can approve something like this. I guess that the fighters safety has gone way down on their priority list. Something really bad is going to happen to this kid and the blood will be in the hands of those corrupt boxing commission officials for letting this crap go down.

Comment

• Is it April 1?

This a joke , right? Why is Canelo always picking on the little guys?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                    Oscar De La Hoya: How Canelo Alvarez-Amir Khan was made
                    Dan Rafael

The news that middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez would defend against welterweight contender Amir Khan, who will move up in weight, on May 7 was an out-of-the-blue shocker when it was announced on Tuesday.

In the age of the Internet, social media and a 24-hour news cycle, it is virtually impossible to keep anything, much less a big fight, a secret. But that is what Golden Boy Promotions and the fighters and their teams did. The fact that word did not leak out surprised Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya, who will promote the fight.

"In all the years I've been in boxing I have never been able to keep a secret like this one," De La Hoya told ESPN.com on Tuesday afternoon. "We've been working on it for a couple of weeks. It was difficult to but not impossible to keep it quiet."

On Tuesday nobody had to stay quiet any longer. De La Hoya said deal memos were signed and the fight, which will be at a contract weight of 155 pounds, was announced.

Although the date is set and the fight will headline an HBO PPV card, De La Hoya said the site is not finalized, although the plan is to have it at the new 20,000-seat T-Mobile Arena, which opens in April and is just off the Strip in Las Vegas.

The arena is owned by the MGM Grand and De La Hoya said that is where they want to hold the fight.

"We're looking for this event to be a mega event in the new arena," he said. "I've been in contact with (MGM Grand executive) Richard Sturm and we have to work out some details but we hope to have it at the new arena."

After Alvarez outpointed Miguel Cotto to win the title on Nov. 21 at the MGM Grand, De La Hoya announced at the post-fight news conference that Alvarez would return on May 7 and that they would soon begin working on the opponent.

The fight is supposedly an interim bout before a fall fight against unified middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin, who will take his own interim bout on April 23. He plans to face mandatory challenger Dominic Wade at the Forum in Inglewood, California, although that fight has not been formally announced yet.

As for Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs), names such as Gabriel Rosado and Willie Monroe Jr. were mentioned as possible opponents. They are good fighters but not fighters who would move the pay-per-view needle one iota. De La Hoya knew they needed a bigger name.

He said the names mentioned were "all speculation. People were just throwing names out there. So the way it came about was we said to ourselves what fighter can create a mega event with Canelo? What fighter have we worked with in the past? What fighter has no promoter? I instantly thought about Amir Khan.

"He's an exciting fighter. He's never in a boring fight and he deserves a big fight. Floyd Mayweather didn't want to fight him. Passed him over. Manny Pacquiao didn't want to fight him. Passed him over. I thought, 'Let's put him up against Canelo Alvarez.'"

De La Hoya said he is the one who thought of Khan for Alvarez about two weeks after the Cotto fight.

"I gave (Golden Boy vice president) Eric (Gomez) a call and told him we have to seriously think about Cinco de Mayo weekend for Canelo and I came up with the idea," he said.

Coming up with the idea is one thing. Executing it is an entirely different matter, especially when Khan's adviser is Al Haymon, whom Golden Boy had an acrimonious split with a couple of years ago and now has a $300 million federal anti-trust lawsuit pending against him. They do not work together and do not like each other.

De La Hoya said whatever Haymon may have talked to Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) about regarding the fight during negotiations, he had no contact at all with him. De La Hoya said he did the deal with Shah Khan, Amir's father, and Robert Davis, Khan's attorney.

"I did not talk to or deal with (Haymon) for one second," De La Hoya said. "But I am willing to work with any promoter, including Al Haymon."

That comment was a pure dig at Haymon. Part of Golden Boy's lawsuit against Haymon is the accusation that he acts as both a manager and promoter, which is against federal law.

Regardless of the issues between Golden Boy and Haymon, Alvarez-Khan is made. De La Hoya said one of the last hurdles was the weight. Alvarez has been fighting regularly at 155 pounds. Khan has been fighting as a 147-pound welterweight since 2013.

"That was the most difficult part of the negotiations," De La Hoya said. "Amir wanted 154. Canelo wanted 155 to defend the middleweight title. We felt one pound would not make or break the fight. It's 155. It took a couple of days."

He also said there would be rigorous drug testing.

"We plan on using VADA for all of Canelo's fights moving forward," he said of the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.

Also, De La Hoya said there would be no rehydration clause after the weigh-in and that, in fact, Khan is actually a bit taller than Alvarez even though he has fought in a smaller weight division.

"When I thought about Amir Khan versus Canelo I instantly thought about Manny Pacquiao-Oscar De La Hoya or Floyd against Canelo or Sugar Ray Leonard-Marvelous Marvin Hagler," De La Hoya said, naming famous fights in which smaller fighters moved up in weight and defeated their typically heavier opponent. "Amir Khan is taller than Canelo. He's faster than Canelo. It can get complicated in there for Canelo. Canelo has to put constant pressure on Khan. And when has Amir Khan been in a boring fight? If there's one guy who deserve s a big fight it's Amir Khan."

De La Hoya said Alvarez has a rematch clause in the event he loses but other than that Golden Boy has nothing going forward with Khan, who promoted him from 2010 to 2014. But are they talking about a longer term deal?

"I am looking forward to working with Amir again," is all De La Hoya would say.

The undercard has not been set yet but De La Hoya promised it would be worthwhile.

"We're going to load it up like there's no tomorrow. People are gonna love it," he said. "Canelo Alvarez is taking over Cinco de Mayo and we will make sure all the fans will enjoy this tremendous card from top to bottom."

And if Alvarez wins, will he go through with the Golovkin fight?

"The Golovkin fight is going to happen, believe me," De La Hoya said. "We are looking forward it."
                    I think Al Haymon just played a game of chess with Oscar and Oscar lost. The cold part about it Oscar does not realized he lost yet. If he's suing Haymon with his well documented reasons in addition to Haymon is blocking fights claim, Haymon just used Khan as a pawn to negotiate this deal (which Khan and team have confirmed they ran everything by and through Haymon and Haymon directed everything related to the negotiations on their end) for this fight thus totally discrediting GBP gripes.
                    I know the Haymon haters will disagree but I think its really difficult to argue what GBP is alleging when you just agreed and contracted your cash cow to fight a Haymon fighter. Not only that you're in the press saying it was easy to make the fight. It's really hard to sue someone regarding what they won't do as well as claiming Haymon is trying to freeze you out when he just completed a deal with you. A deal in which you feel is in your best interest. Just my opinion - Checkmate Al Haymon

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                      Amir Khan ‏@AmirKingKhan 1m1 minute ago

Delighted to announce i will be fighting Canelo May 7th Cinco De Mayo, Las Vegas for the 155lbs @WBCBoxing title! ���� ���� ���� ��
                      best part

Comment

Working...
                      X