No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: If GGG Fight Was Now, Canelo Gets 90-10 Split

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    Cotto/Canelo generated $58M of PPV revenue and 12M gate for a total of 70. Their guaranteed purses were 5m for Canelo and 15m for Cotto with share of PPV revenue.

There's absolutely no chance that Canelo/GGG purses are 30m. Canelo/Lara drew 350k ppvs and had 3m/1.5m purses. The realistic estimate for Golovkin/Canelo are 10-15m total.

Just because the media appointed Canelo the heir to Floyd's throne doesn't magically increase his draw power to Floyd's levels.
    So you think Canelo beating Cotto is not going to increase his popularity which was already huge before that fight? Cotto got a huge amount of money from Roc Nation reportedly a 5mil bonus. So 5 mil came directly out of Roc Nation's own pocket. Roc Nation operated at a loss because the ridiculous contract they gave Cotto to steal him away from Top Rank. So the split was more like 10mil to 5mil in favor of Cotto and Canelo had to swallow his pride and take less because Cotto used his belt as leverage for a larger deal. Cotto is the exception because though he was not the bigger draw but owned the lineal middleweight title and is a future hall of famer and proven PPV draw. All things GGG is not. And those purses were just the base Canelo and Cotto got paid on fight night both had contracts that call for more money based on how the PPV performs and Canelo had money tied into how the PPV did as well how the fight did in Mexico. Both Canelo and Cotto will end up taking home far more then 15m and 5m. We don't know the final total because they are still counting money that fight generated.

And you are an idiot if you think Canelo's popularity and purses he can now demand did not sky rocket with his win over Cotto. Manny's very next fight after Oscar he commanded double the purse amount that's what a big win and a successful PPV does for you. When Manny fought Oscar he got only 20% of the total purse Oscar got 80%. He was guaranteed 6mil on fight night. Months and months later Arum and Manny confirmed he totaled out at almost double that amount with 11mil when they finished counting all the money the fight made. In a few months we will find out that Canelo made 15mil and Cotto made 20-25mil from their fight.
    Last edited by bigdunny1; 01-14-2016, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Dude, others have taken relatively low deals. Kov, for example, took peanuts for a shot at the title. Floyd got his balls in a ringer from ODH on their fight. Those guys ****** it up and won. GGG should do same IMO, if unification is seriously his goal.

I am not defending Canelo just commenting on this thread. I am not saying it's fair. am saying that you often have to sacrifice to get what you want. In sports, many athletes sacrifice money for the chance to win a title.

WHy can't GGG do that?
      That's fair, if you think Canelo is more popular and should get a bigger split but you said GGG should accept 10 %, that ridiculous in this situation. I don't see anyway Canelo should get 90% of the money here. Its a mandatory defense of a middleweight title and so far Canelo wants the fight at 155lbs and wants 90% of the purse, does that really seem like something that should happen to you?

Comment

• In other words, the fight is not happening is what De La Hoya is trying to say.

Comment

• GGG should take the fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
            Where is Golovkin going to go? Alvarez is *25* years old and can keep fighting jr middleweight cans until another dance partner comes along for a big PPV fight. The Triple Duck doesn't have that option. Face the facts, Alvarez has ALL the leverage here...
            You're definitely not wrong man. We'll see how this plays out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tobi.G View Post
              Still not fair! I would say 60:40 and i dont give a **** about these ppv numbers.
              Well PPV figures are what's used to negotiate splits. I don't care about them either, but I'm also not the promotor of either fighter

Comment

• Originally posted by titan m View Post
                The problem is that Canelo is not even close to Chavez level of popularity when Oscar fought him and he's not on Oscars level when Mayweather fought him either. Canelo is fairly big name in boxing but Chavez and Oscar were known to more than just boxing fans. I mean realistically Canelo just took the short money against Cotto in his last fight so that just goes to show you he's not the king of the hill yet.

Canelo is becoming a popular fighter but it seems like since Maywether retired people just want to prop him up into Mayweathers spot like he's already the king but he's not there yet.
                Love how you ignore while Canelo might not be as big as Chavez or Oscar he is the biggest cash cow right now that's not a debate that's a fact, he is not just "becoming popular" he pulled in the most viewers HBO has seen in a decade and if not for the historic Manny vs Pac fight would of had the highest selling PPV of the year. Besides Pac Floyd made more money fighting Canelo then anyone else in his entire career because of Canelo's fanbase he brought to the table. And he will only be bigger with his win over Cotto and now fighting exclusively on Mexican Holiday dates. Why you think Floyd strategically fought on those dates? Because they add probably an extra 10% in revenue. Well now those are Canelo's dates and will boost his PPVs regardless who he fights.

And on the flip side you ignore that GGG is NOWHERE near the level Oscar was when he faced Chavez or Floyd when he faced Oscar. Both Oscar and Floyd when they faced bigger stars had accomplished far more and were bigger draws then GGG is right now. And if Oscar and Floyd could take fights on a bigger stars terms then so should GGG. This is how it works you have to earn your spot it's not just given.

Comment

That's fair, if you think Canelo is more popular and should get a bigger split but you said GGG should accept 10 %, that ridiculous in this situation. I don't see anyway Canelo should get 90% of the money here. Its a mandatory defense of a middleweight title and so far Canelo wants the fight at 155lbs and wants 90% of the purse, does that really seem like something that should happen to you?
                  titan_m I understand your points but I do not really care if its "fair to GGG". I think it is unfair that the larger fighter can get so many things. That said, when they do, and they lose, the winner gets added respect for having overcome so much.

I think GGG should prove that unification is his true goal. For comparison purposes-Floyd wanted to fight ODH, Canelo wanted to fight Floyd, Kov wanted a shot at the LHW title. These men made the financial sacrifices necessary to get what they wanted.

Why can't GGG do the same? This is a question I would like you or another GGG fan to answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                    So you think Canelo beating Cotto is not going to increase his popularity which was already huge before that fight? Cotto got a huge amount of money from Roc Nation reportedly a 5mil bonus. So 5 mil came directly out of Roc Nation's own pocket. Roc Nation operated at a loss because the ridiculous contract they gave Cotto to steal him away from Top Rank. So the split was more like 10mil to 5mil in favor of Cotto and Canelo had to swallow his pride and take less because Cotto used his belt as leverage for a larger deal. Cotto is the exception because though he was not the bigger draw but owned the lineal middleweight title and is a future hall of famer and proven PPV draw. All things GGG is not. And those purses were just the base Canelo and Cotto got paid on fight night both had contracts that call for more money based on how the PPV performs and Canelo had money tied into how the PPV did as well how the fight did in Mexico. Both Canelo and Cotto will end up taking home far more then 15m and 5m. We don't know the final total because they are still counting money that fight generated.
                    Step by step:
                    1) The RN bonus for Cotto was outside of the purse calculations. The purses, without PPV share were 5m/15m
                    2) Yes, they took home much more than that. But with 58M of PPV revenue, it's a known fact that HBO takes half right off the top, which leaves them ~30m pot at most. The semi-unknown is international revenue. I'd estimate that to be another 10-20m, with Cotto/Canelo getting a share.
                    In total, they're probably looking at ~7-10m Canelo purse and ~20 Cotto.
                    Thus if Cotto/Canelo generated 30m, Canelo/Golovkin will NOT generate 30m.

And you are an idiot if you think Canelo's popularity and purses he can now demand did not sky rocket with his win over Cotto. Manny's very next fight after Oscar he commanded double the purse amount that's what a big win and a successful PPV does for you. When Manny fought Oscar he got only 20% of the total purse Oscar got 80%. He was guaranteed 6mil on fight night. Months and months later Arum and Manny confirmed he totaled out at almost double that amount with 11mil when they finished counting all the money the fight made. In a few months we will find out that Canelo made 15mil and Cotto made 20-25mil from their fight.
                    Ah, but this is what you're missing. Cotto/Canelo was not Canelo's coming out party. That was in 2013 against Floyd. The world already knew who Canelo was when he fought Cotto.

Cotto by himself was a ~300k PPV buys attraction. Canelo by himself is a ~300-400K PPV buys attraction. After being built up together along with the PR vs MEX rivalry, their event did 900k, which was great. Golovkin's PPV had low purses and did 150k. Golovkin/Canelo purses will be based on 400-500k PPV buys to break even.

You were trying to compare Canelo to Floyd, and it's not even close. Canelo's highest base purse was $6M. What you're saying is that now he should get 90% of a $30M purse, which would mean his base purse would be $27M. That's the unrealistic part.

Comment

The belt and it's mandatory means nothing. If it did why didn't GGG get a fight with Cotto and why is he not fighting Canelo his next fight? Superstars in Boxing transcend the belts. Canelo could trash the belt tomorrow and fight whoever he wants and trust me GGG will be the one hurting. Canelo has ALREADY fought and beaten a higher level of competition. Compare the resumes right now
                      Canelo has already fought what 9 or 10 world champs? Has GGG faced that many? Nope not even half actually. Canelo has won world titles in multiple weight classes. Has GGG done that? Nope. Canelo has fought multiple hall of famers. Has GGG faced even 1? Nope. Canelo has fought multiple guys who were ranked top 10 p4p in the world at the time they fought. Has GGG faced even 1? Nope. And Canelo is only 25 and already accomplished far more while GGG turns 34 in April. If GGG walks away from a career high payday it hurts him and he's already on record saying he would fight Floyd at 154 and that he can make that weight easily but can't fight Canelo 1 pound higher at 155 or at a catchweight? Canelo just fought Cotto, Lara, Trout, Floyd in a 2 year span. Fans will not kill him if he doesn't go up to 160 and fight GGG. And he has tons of options to make big money. GGG doesn't. The fight will be on Canelo's terms or he can go back to fighting nobodies for less money and he and his fans can defend why his resume is so thin.

Comment

Working...
                      X