Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is pacquiao the greatest southpaw of all time??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    the past 5-6 years he got more credit than he deserved by the media and HBO commentary

close decisions, dodging drug testing, and still being considered top 5 p4p after being outboxed and knocked out several times

Now he is place in history is being viewed more realisitically....he was one of the best of his era and and an all-time great....he just wasn't the level of fighter the media tried to make him out to be.....Im sorry but he was not fighter of the decade in the 2000s in my opinion.....He never beat Juan Manuel Marquez clearly...not even once....and got outboxed my a past prime erik morales and didn't beat him until Zahir Raheem did it first at a better weight.
    Pac never refused testing.. the early knockouts were from his younger days who has knocked out prime pac?

Clearly he beat JMM in their second fight he outboxed marquez which he isn't supposed to do even my fellow mexicans admitted pac won.
    Pacquiao completely destroyed barrera which morales could only dream of doing.

Pac had to climb weightclasses with no tuneups and still dominate bigger guys like they were nothing thats why the issue of drug use arouse in the first place..

If pac doesn't deserve the fighter of the decade award then thats your opinion but it doesn't mean its right.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Really?

Pacquiao has: Barrera, Morales, Cotto, Mosley, JMM
      (That's not to mention Bradley and where he may end up in the future or guys like Ledwabo or Hatton)

Hagler has: Mugabi, Hearns, Duran, Antuofermo

I'm only mentioning guys that are a consensus ATG or possible HOFer.

Who does Whitaker have that competes with either, his resume may be equal to Hagler if Hearns and Duran are degraded for their lower divisions but there's no way you can say he has a better resume than Pacquiao who has one of the most complete resumes of all time.

There is of course an argument that Pea was a superior technician to both men but in most other categories, I believe he falls behind.
      I noticed you didn't mention anyone Whitaker beat. Why? I mean Chavez is better than everyone you listed for Pacquiao. Azumah too.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
        Out of curiosity I entered P4P, SouthPaw, All Boxers (Active & Inactive) into Boxrec and Pacquiao comes up 2nd. Hagler #3, Sweet Pea #7.

#1 is Young Corbett III, I don't think I would have been able to guess that with 10 tries.
        It's not in order though. PAC has 900 points sweet pea has like 948

Comment

Originally posted by NUCLEAR View Post
          Pac never refused testing.. the early knockouts were from his younger days who has knocked out prime pac?

Clearly he beat JMM in their second fight he outboxed marquez which he isn't supposed to do even my fellow mexicans admitted pac won.
          Pacquiao completely destroyed barrera which morales could only dream of doing.

Pac had to climb weightclasses with no tuneups and still dominate bigger guys like they were nothing thats why the issue of drug use arouse in the first place..

If pac doesn't deserve the fighter of the decade award then thats your opinion but it doesn't mean its right.
          after doing testing and losing to morales he said drug testing made him feel weak and also Roach admitted testing is what killed the first round of negotiations with Mayweather.

He was near peak when Marquez knocked him out and in fight 3 WITH jmm He was clearly outboxed.

Pacquaio is a truly great fighter but the media pumped him up into something he was not...the greatest of his era

Comment

Originally posted by Pain~Lucy View Post
            he looks retarted, I can see him getting knocked out after facing a decent opposition
            They always do lol

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              Yeah, truth be told I have a lot of gaps when it comes to pre-WWII boxing. As far as I've gotten into this video up to now it looks like Corbett was a problem doe.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                It's not in order though. PAC has 900 points sweet pea has like 948
                It actually is in order - the 900 refers to Pacquiao's active score, which is different than his career score. The latter is what's used to rank when you click on 'All Boxers', but the active score is what shows up in either case if the boxer is not retired. His career score is higher than 948.

EDIT: That being said, Whittaker's 948 doesn't do him justice since that includes the Chavez 'draw'.
                Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 12-11-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  I noticed you didn't mention anyone Whitaker beat. Why? I mean Chavez is better than everyone you listed for Pacquiao. Azumah too.
                  I agree that Whittaker outboxing Chavez was better than anything Pac did... but idk where I'd put Azumah Nelson though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
                    I agree that Whittaker outboxing Chavez was better than anything Pac did... but idk where I'd put Azumah Nelson though.
                    I have him over Morales, Barrera but I'd rate JMM higher.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      Chavez yes (what a robbery) but Azumah is not better than everyone Pacquiao has beaten, not to mention he didn't belong in the LW division at all. Pacquiao often beat guys at their best divisions, where they were the bigger men.

But if you can only name two guys on Whitaker's resume that were true stand outs and HOF/ATG, then it reflects poorly.

Plus, the guy I replied to said WHitaker's resume was better than Hagler's too, Hagler beating Hearns v Duran is superior to Chavez and Azumah, surely?

But like I said, it's not much between them, overall I have Pacquiao and Hagler higher, then Whitaker. I can see it being the other way around for some.

Comment

Working...
                      X