Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is pacquiao the greatest southpaw of all time??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Pacquiao beats the living shyt out of prime Whitaker.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
      Out of curiosity I entered P4P, SouthPaw, All Boxers (Active & Inactive) into Boxrec and Pacquiao comes up 2nd. Hagler #3, Sweet Pea #7.

#1 is Young Corbett III, I don't think I would have been able to guess that with 10 tries.

Comment

Originally posted by BOXEO _ View Post
        Prime Pacquiao beats the living shyt out of prime Whitaker.
        prime Pacquaio got outboxed by a past prime Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez but he is gonna beat the living shyt out of a prime Whitaker, who no one beat the shyt out of....yea right

Whitaker would be his worst nightmare....a speedy counterpuncher who can fight going forward, laterally, backwards and had one of the greatest defenses of all time......I just don't see how Many could beat this guy when he lost to lesser fighters in his prime or near it....The only loss Whitaker has in his 20s was a bad decision in France vs Jose Luis Ramirez in a fight considered a disgrace and he absolutely embarrassed him in the rematch

Comment

How does one weight greatness in boxing? In my opinion it's through achievements, championships and championship reigns, skill set of said fighter and of course opponents beaten.

Pacquiao scores highly in every category and probably outscores Whitaker in all those categories. Hagler is probably tougher, he holds a destructive win over Hearns, then again Pacquiao has destructive wins over Morales and Barrera and Cotto. Hagler's win over Duran is good but the man ,standing at 5'6'' was a small middleweight at best and no longer the ferocious fighter of 1975-80. Then again, something must be said of being THE guy in the mw division for the best part of a decade.

For me, it's probably:

Hagler/Pacquiao
          Whitaker

Close between all 3 but Pacquiao and Hagler probably coming out on top.

Comment

He's in the conversation which is impressive enough in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              How does one weight greatness in boxing? In my opinion it's through achievements, championships and championship reigns, skill set of said fighter and of course opponents beaten.

Pacquiao scores highly in every category and probably outscores Whitaker in all those categories. Hagler is probably tougher, he holds a destructive win over Hearns, then again Pacquiao has destructive wins over Morales and Barrera and Cotto. Hagler's win over Duran is good but the man ,standing at 5'6'' was a small middleweight at best and no longer the ferocious fighter of 1975-80. Then again, something must be said of being THE guy in the mw division for the best part of a decade.

For me, it's probably:

Hagler/Pacquiao
              Whitaker

Whitaker has a better resume than both.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

For me, it's probably:

Hagler/Pacquiao
                Whitaker

Hagler and Whitaker always finish well ahead of Manny in any rankings of top fighters. Its hard to use championships when Hagler and Whitaker couldn't have won WBO, IBO and IBA titles that Manny won.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  agreed.....we all know he beat Chavez as well and got jobbed vs Ramirez in the first fight.....the closest I scored that fight was 7-5 whitaker but its usually in the 8-4 range

Azumah Nelson ranks higher than MAB and Morales in my book and was in his prime when they fought....beat legends Wilfredo Gomez and Jeff Fenech etc

Sweet Pea didn't legitimately and clearly lose a fight til well into his 30s

even with his losses...he lost to a prime Trinidad and DLH in his 30s

Comment

Originally posted by WSSD View Post
                    I dont recall Manny saying it was a lucky punch. He said he got caught with a shot he didnt see and thats part of boxing. I believe its the fans that said it was a lucky punch.
                    One of many Manny lucky punch statements.
                    http://www.rappler.com/sports/17630-...-a-lucky-punch

http://www.************.com/2013/07/...-as-washed-up/
                    Last edited by Zaroku; 12-11-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      Really?

Pacquiao has: Barrera, Morales, Cotto, Mosley, JMM
                      (That's not to mention Bradley and where he may end up in the future or guys like Ledwabo or Hatton)

Hagler has: Mugabi, Hearns, Duran, Antuofermo

I'm only mentioning guys that are a consensus ATG or possible HOFer.

Who does Whitaker have that competes with either, his resume may be equal to Hagler if Hearns and Duran are degraded for their lower divisions but there's no way you can say he has a better resume than Pacquiao who has one of the most complete resumes of all time.

There is of course an argument that Pea was a superior technician to both men but in most other categories, I believe he falls behind.

Comment

Working...
                      X