Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo's Trainer To Golovkin: Come To 155, We'll Fight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    What does GGG being white have to do with that? I don't know of any CW's just 1 pound over. I also do not remember any MW mando saying he could make 154 comfortably for a payday then take issue with being asked for 155 for a payday, if you want to get super technical.

GGG is the WBA Super Champion, which supersedes his being the mandatory. His fight with Canelo would be a unification fight. If its at 155 it will be a CW. This will be the 4th time I know of this happening:

Sweet Pea/Chavez at 145 WW unification
    ODH/Bhop 157 MW unification
    Floyd/Canelo 152 JMW unification

It's not like GGG is being singled out because he is white. He is the lower earner and that's why he is being forced into a tough decision.

Edit to address what you added here

Stop being over dramatic dude and lets have an adult debate.

GGG would be facing the same thing other fighters have faced. If he overcomes the disadvantage and wins, he will get rewarded.

You and the rest of his fans come off as you want him to be treated differently than others.

Please explain why?
    Golovkin is the WBC mandatory. The fight can happen as either a unification fight or a mandatory defence. Golovkin being another org's champion does not affect this in the eyes of the WBC. Its rare, but the WBC mandated Golovkin as the mandatory challenger

Canelo really isnt at a good advantage here. They can argue all day over the weight, and if theres no agreement, the WBC will call purse bids, and the fight is automatically at 160. So Canelo will have to vacate. As interim champion, GGG is entitled to 45% of the purse.

Best moves from Canelo is to grossly overpay GGG to fight at 155, fight at a more reasonable weight (like 157) and still overpay GGG, pay huge step aside fees, or pay the WBC to enforce some corrupt decision to derecognise Golovkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toltec77 View Post
      Good for Canelo, now he calls the shots, you got guys like Chicken Floyd doing it all the time, and Queen Cotto that still got his ass kick this passed Saturday!
      Doesn't that make Canelo a chicken and a queen too?

Comment

• seems like GGG is willing to go down, but at the same time they said it could be at 160, they like the idea of AT&T stadium at Dallas...
        they also said they think is going to happen, but not sure if now or later, they said that if it doesnt happen in may then ggg fights in february and this are the options : Andy Lee, Billy Joe Saunders, Peter Quillin, Daniel Jacobs , Tureano Johnson, Carl Froch...

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/boxe...canelo-alvarez

Comment

What does GGG being white have to do with that? I don't know of any CW's just 1 pound over. I also do not remember any MW mando saying he could make 154 comfortably for a payday then take issue with being asked for 155 for a payday, if you want to get super technical.

GGG is the WBA Super Champion, which supersedes his being the mandatory. His fight with Canelo would be a unification fight. If its at 155 it will be a CW. This will be the 4th time I know of this happening:

Sweet Pea/Chavez at 145 WW unification
          ODH/Bhop 157 MW unification
          Floyd/Canelo 152 JMW unification

It's not like GGG is being singled out because he is white. He is the lower earner and that's why he is being forced into a tough decision.

Edit to address what you added here

Stop being over dramatic dude and lets have an adult debate.

GGG would be facing the same thing other fighters have faced. If he overcomes the disadvantage and wins, he will get rewarded.

You and the rest of his fans come off as you want him to be treated differently than others.

Please explain why?
          Its impossible to have an adult debate when your entire point of contention is based on irrelevant comments made from fighters or team members, as if that has anything to do with the issue at hand.

"GGG said he could make 154 for Floyd, so therefore he must do the exact same for any fighter with more earning capacity than himself, regardless if he's the mandatory challenger or not"

"Abel said 154-168 doe", so that means GGG must fight any opponent, at any weight within that range, under all the terms set by that opponent, or its a duck

"Alphabet belts dont matter", yet Canelo just paid alot of money to get this one. Im sure it "doesnt matter" to him

Bhop fought Oscar in a voluntary unification at 158, so therefore GGG must fight Canelo at 155 in his mando because......... uhmmm, you lost me

I'd love to see Canelo-GGG, believe me I would. But if it means GGG has to go to 155 and probably take a 80-20 split, I hope he tells Canelo to kick rocks and makes Canelo give him the title. Then in 12-18 months when Canelo cant make 155, 156, 157, or 158.5 anymore and wants a 160 title again, it will be GGG telling Canelo whats what.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
            I don't think Golovkin should take 155 because:
            1. He's risking 3 belts. Whoever wins will be 1 belt away from unified champ. Having 1 belt, isn't a big deal. Being THIS close to unified champ IS a big deal.
            2. Canelo's a bigger star/draw than Golovkin, but it's not a night & day difference that everyone will make it out to be. Cotto was the A-Side in their match, getting 10m, with Canelo getting 6.5m. If the potential GGG/Canelo happens, they'll estimate about 400-600k PPVs, which will lower the total purses to say.. 10m total. I don't think Canelo will take a 50/50. So if he insists on 60/40, his purse will be 6m while Golovkin's will be 4m. More likely it will be 7m/3m. Do you think GGG's team will put him at a CW disadvantage while risking everything he's worked for the last 3 years just to make an extra mill or two? I say not a chance.
            3. Canelo did agree to a CW with Floyd. But it's not the same as GGG/Canelo. First, Floyd's a MUCH, MUCH bigger star than Canelo. Second, and most importantly, Canelo had plenty of experience of fighting at a lower weight since he fought at 150 and 147 for many years.

I don't see Golovkin budging from 160. He'll make Nelo drop the belt, and then maybe they'll negotiate a fight with a CW. Or they'll just move on. It's not like Canelo has a million options. He's too big to fight at 154 and all the roads for MW run through GGG.
            ^^^ very good analysis

Comment

• Originally posted by Liondw View Post
              Then Canelo is going to have vacate title, unless Wbc change their stance, because there is no catchweight agreement. If you're middleweight champ, fight at up to 160 lbs or move up or down in weight. GGG will be given Wbc title.
              That's fine, but where does GGG go from there? A ppv against the winner of Lee-Saunders? That's another flop waiting to happen. He gains nothing.

If he were to instead fight and beat Canelo at 155 then he makes the best purse of his career and becomes a more familiar face to over a million PPV buyers. It's his chance to gain notoriety and stardom.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                I don't think Golovkin should take 155 because:
                1. He's risking 3 belts. Whoever wins will be 1 belt away from unified champ. Having 1 belt, isn't a big deal. Being THIS close to unified champ IS a big deal.
                2. Canelo's a bigger star/draw than Golovkin, but it's not a night & day difference that everyone will make it out to be. Cotto was the A-Side in their match, getting 10m, with Canelo getting 6.5m. If the potential GGG/Canelo happens, they'll estimate about 400-600k PPVs, which will lower the total purses to say.. 10m total. I don't think Canelo will take a 50/50. So if he insists on 60/40, his purse will be 6m while Golovkin's will be 4m. More likely it will be 7m/3m. Do you think GGG's team will put him at a CW disadvantage while risking everything he's worked for the last 3 years just to make an extra mill or two? I say not a chance.
                3. Canelo did agree to a CW with Floyd. But it's not the same as GGG/Canelo. First, Floyd's a MUCH, MUCH bigger star than Canelo. Second, and most importantly, Canelo had plenty of experience of fighting at a lower weight since he fought at 150 and 147 for many years.

I don't see Golovkin budging from 160. He'll make Nelo drop the belt, and then maybe they'll negotiate a fight with a CW. Or they'll just move on. It's not like Canelo has a million options. He's too big to fight at 154 and all the roads for MW run through GGG.
                I can respect how you feel dude.

1. I agree.

2. Dude, I completely disagree. Best case for GGG is 150k PPV sales. Worst case for Canelo/Cotto is like 600k ( I think it hits 1 mil given what I've been seeing) that's 4 times the amount.

3. As I said earlier If Floyd is Powerball, Canelo is the Mega Millions. No bigger payday in boxing right now. If he wants the payday it looks like its 155.

GGG doesn't have to move from 160. He just isn't going to get Canelo if he doesn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
                  Golovkin is the WBC mandatory. The fight can happen as either a unification fight or a mandatory defence. Golovkin being another org's champion does not affect this in the eyes of the WBC. Its rare, but the WBC mandated Golovkin as the mandatory challenger

Canelo really isnt at a good advantage here. They can argue all day over the weight, and if theres no agreement, the WBC will call purse bids, and the fight is automatically at 160. So Canelo will have to vacate. As interim champion, GGG is entitled to 45% of the purse.

Best moves from Canelo is to grossly overpay GGG to fight at 155, fight at a more reasonable weight (like 157) and still overpay GGG, pay huge step aside fees, or pay the WBC to enforce some corrupt decision to derecognise Golovkin.
                  Yes, I understand they made him the mando.

Yes, the WBC can but then no payday for GGG. I know some GGG fans like to think this is about the title but its about moving GGG to superstardom. That road goes through Canelo.

If GGG says no, the WBC could strip Canelo-but then they would be hurting themselves financially given the clear difference in earning between the 2 fighters. 3% of GGG is much less than 3% of Canelo.

The WBC has shown historically it is pro big earner and pro Mexican. They may not force Canelo to do anything-especially if Canelo makes a cotto rematch and then a Floyd rematch.

Hell, he could make a Margs fight and do well. HBO seems ok with Bradley. If push comes to shove, Canelo can just offer the othe MW champs more to fight than GGG could.

I think Canelo's position is very strong my friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by KO MX View Post
                    A-Side baby, he won the title at 155 so he can defend it at that weight if he want
                    You're a disgrace.

Comment

I can respect how you feel dude.

1. I agree.

2. Dude, I completely disagree. Best case for GGG is 150k PPV sales. Worst case for Canelo/Cotto is like 600k ( I think it hits 1 mil given what I've been seeing) that's 4 times the amount.

3. As I said earlier If Floyd is Powerball, Canelo is the Mega Millions. No bigger payday in boxing right now. If he wants the payday it looks like its 155.

GGG doesn't have to move from 160. He just isn't going to get Canelo if he doesn't.
                      I think I wasn't clear - I meant that since Cotto/Canelo (Mex vs PR rivalry, 2 known fighters who have appeared on Floyd's cards) did ~1m PPV buys, Golovkin/Canelo will do approximately half that - hence 400-600k PPV buys for GGG/Canelo. So I'm basing purses on that.

3. Agree - but is the risk of draining himself and losing the belts he's worked three years for worth the extra payday? I'd take the vacant belt then wait for Lee. After he unifies, he can put a decent exclamation point to his career, even if people want to put an asterisk next to it.

It's been his dream to unify.. I don't think anything will sway him.

Comment

Working...
                      X