No announcement yet.

Was Frank Bruno an elite fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I'd have a hard time not considering anyone who was a top ten caliber guy thru most of their prime as an elite level guy. I mean most divisions got like 1500+ guys him them. If the top 0.5%-1% of them can't be considered elite that seems like a hell of a curve we're grading fighters on.
    Actually, reading this, yes you are right and that's a pretty good measure of "elite".

However Sugar Adams points about Bruno are also relevant, and make it hard for me to actually consider him an "elite heavyweight"!

Comment

Bruno goes through the whole of Grabimir's resume undefeated.

Bruno's resume pisses all over Grabimir's.

Bruno beats Grabimir.

Comment

Lennox Lewis made Bruno look like a world beating, elite fighter. Tyson made Bruno look like a chump.

Comment

As much as I love Frank, he was not elite. A good fighter, solid C+ but nothing more. He had good power, good hang with the best but he lacked the extended ability to beat the best over a period of time which defines an elite fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by tokon View Post
            Yeah, "just a decent heavyweight" probably accurate description.

Morrison, possibly, but Mercer and Ruddock almost certainly would have decapitated him!
            Yeah il be honest all 3 id favour against him, just weird he didnt fight them at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
              He held the most prestigious championship in the entire sport. You might want to look up the definition of elite.
              He held a portion of a championship at a time when the division was fractured, with Foreman having recognition as the man in some quarters, the IBF and WBA title was separated now and in the hands of Seldon and Schultz if I'm not mistaken. Bowe and Holyfield were still contesting their own mythical heavyweight championship and I highly doubt Bruno would have been ranked above either man, or even Foreman at the time or a Moorer.

Bruno was a place holder, just the same as Seldon and Schultz. Would the two S' be ranked elite? I don't think so. SO why is Bruno? Unless your standard of what is an elite fighter is far below the recognised standard of an elite fighter.

Comment

Well when it comes to the British boxing scene he was definitely elite. But on the world stage he was good and he was a champion but he wasn't elite.

To me elite is someone who stands out above all and in his day he was shadowed out by a lot of guys.

Nevertheless he was good though.

Comment

Not not at all

Comment

Elite

world champions

contenders

journeymen/gatekeepers

prospects

club fighters

Comment

Yes........