Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the closest fighter ever to being perfect?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
    not defensively, so I wouldn't say that... maybe u mean offensively???, rays offense sometimes was his defense which is why he got hit so much. ill take 135 Floyd he was the whole package. 135 Floyd was as good as it gets IMO they are all great in their own ways
    No not defensively, I give that to PBF, he was more defensively aware, but thats the only category I would give him againts SRL. SRL was better than him in every other category, which is why I say he was the better overall fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      i'm still waiting for somebody to show me where floyd mayweather walked canelo down.
      Depends on how you define walk down. From what I remember of the fight Floyd made Canelo tentative with counters and being first. He would walk up to him him with defensive shell intact and look for openings to be exploited, of which Canelo had plenty.

If your definition of walking down is keeping a constant forward momentum and pushing them back well no he didn't do that but onice or twice perhaps.... but he DID keep the initiative nearly at all times in the fight.

I don't personally think it's a good terminology either... I prefer "keeping initiative" its more accurate.. I blame Roger for the walking down thing. He started dropping sound bites regarding how Floyd was or would walk down various opponents. And every would be boxing aficionado picked it up as if it were gospel.

But I see both sides...compared to Floyd's usual style, that mode does have more forward momentum...until he reaches striking distance or goes to counter that is. But.. Floyd's "walking down" does not = another fighter's. It's more finesse oriented.

Comment

• Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
        come on man maybe u just don't like Floyd, he had canelo backing up various times in the fight watch it and see, im at work so I cant go n tell u what minute markers but it happened.

i went to vegas to watch floyd fight canelo . i'm a huge fan. i'm just not biased, the way a lot of floyd's fans on the internet are.

i get what has happened. you've been at war for 5-6 years. when you've been a hammer for a long time, everything looks like a nail. i'm not out to get floyd mayweather, or smear him. i paid a lot of money to fly from the east coast and see him fihgt. i was not there for canelo. i dont' care if you believe me or not.

there's one spot in the 7th and one spot in the 10th where canelo is on the ropes for a long time after having been "walkled down" and he's clearly waiting for an opportuniyt to counter floyd, and not really being backed into the ropes because of what's in front of him.

floyd mayweather did not walk canelo down. that is a myth. there was a larry thread on this a few months ago

Comment

• Originally posted by Syf View Post
          Depends on how you define walk down. From what I remember of the fight Floyd made Canelo tentative with counters and being first. He would walk up to him him with defensive shell intact and look for openings to be exploited, of which Canelo had plenty.

If your definition of walking down is keeping a constant forward momentum and pushing them back well no he didn't do that but onice or twice perhaps.... but he DID keep the initiative nearly at all times in the fight.

I don't personally think it's a good terminology either... I prefer "keeping initiative" its more accurate.. I blame Roger for the walking down thing. He started dropping sound bites regarding how Floyd was or would walk down various opponents. And every would be boxing aficionado picked it up as if it were gospel.

But I see both sides...compared to Floyd's usual style, that mode does have more forward momentum...until he reaches striking distance or goes to counter that is. But.. Floyd's "walking down" does not = another fighter's. It's more finesse oriented.

there's no way you can call what he did "walking a man down." you're usually a solid poster, iirc. just watch the fight when you get the time. i watched quite a few rounds today myself when ihad the chance. he did not walk canelo down. that is crazy talk.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP. View Post
            That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here and that's saying a lot.

says the guy who says floyd mayweather walked canelo alvarez down. i am still waiting for you to show me what you were talking about. need another link? i think ive given you two different camera angles already

compard to ray leonard floyd mayweather is one dimensional. let's hear compelling arguments to the contrary.

Comment

It's a term used in gyms, at least the few I've been to. Roger didn't originate it. You see Mike Stafford and others use that term as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by JStill Unbiased View Post
                Floyd at 130 is better than Floyd at 135
                yeah I can see that!

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  Roy Jones until he reached his mid 30s was as close to perfect an athlete can be in boxing.....Power in both hands, speed, reflexes, otherworldly coordination, an unorthodox style with a good basis of technique and strategy, threw combos and punches at any angle, great foot work and could control the pace of a fight, he could do it all in the ring whenever he chose to......never saw a fighter like him before or since his prime
                  I have literally never seen a fighter as good as Roy in his prime and I've watched fights of them all.

Comment

is that really where these kids get the terminology? i was wondering where it came form

god bless roger mayweather. he was a heck of a trainer at his peak, and he gave a lot to the sport as a fighter. solid career, very good puncher and solid skills. at this point he is senile.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                      says the guy who says floyd mayweather walked canelo alvarez down. i am still waiting for you to show me what you were talking about. need another link? i think ive given you two different camera angles already

compard to ray leonard floyd mayweather is one dimensional. let's hear compelling arguments to the contrary.
                      You don't even know what walking down or one dimensional is. What's the point of even engaging in an argument?

Comment

Working...
                      X