Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Gennady Golovkin Fear Greatness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
    #2 is wrong

He won't be a bigger name than Canelo. Point and blank, especially after Canelo vs Cotto, and especially if Canelo wins. Let's just face it... Ward isn't a big name fighter. I'm skeptical that even if you put Andre Ward vs Golovkin on PPV it would even reach 400,000 buys.
    Canelo is a 300-350K pay per view fighter right now. If GGG beats Ward which would elevate him to p4p #1, they could easily market him to a 300K PPV fighter vs. decent opposition. Imagine how huge Canelo vs. GGG would be if GGG was #1 p4p?

#5 is wrong

Roman Gonzales.
    Love Chocolatito but he will never in his career get the opportunity to get a win over an Andre Ward caliber opponent. GGG does right at this moment which is an opportunity Chocolatito would jump at.

Here's the schedule Golovkin should follow:

-Fight Lemiuex in October
    >Cotto vs Canelo in November
    -Stay-busy fight in January
    >Hopefully, the winner of Lee/Saunders fights Golovkin (yielding WBO Middleweight belt)
    -Golovkin vs Canelo in May (WBC/Lineal/The Ring)

*Andre Ward vs Golovkin Winter 2016

~6 Months gives Golovkin time to possibly gain around 3 pounds of muscle. The heavier Golovkin is, the less likely a catch weight is needed (unless Andre Ward starts weighing in heavier).

Hopefully by this point and time Andre Ward will have fought some decent names and started getting his popularity back, leading to a good PPV fight.
    None of those wins would do more for his status as a top p4p fighter than beating Andre Ward. They are all low risk/high reward fights and the Canelo/Cotto winner is no guarantee.

Comment

• Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
      #2 is wrong

He won't be a bigger name than Canelo. Point and blank, especially after Canelo vs Cotto, and especially if Canelo wins. Let's just face it... Ward isn't a big name fighter. I'm skeptical that even if you put Andre Ward vs Golovkin on PPV it would even reach 400,000 buys.

#5 is wrong

Roman Gonzales.

Here's the schedule Golovkin should follow:

-Fight Lemiuex in October
      >Cotto vs Canelo in November
      -Stay-busy fight in January
      >Hopefully, the winner of Lee/Saunders fights Golovkin (yielding WBO Middleweight belt)
      -Golovkin vs Canelo in May (WBC/Lineal/The Ring)

*Andre Ward vs Golovkin Winter 2016

~6 Months gives Golovkin time to possibly gain around 3 pounds of muscle. The heavier Golovkin is, the less likely a catch weight is needed (unless Andre Ward starts weighing in heavier).

Hopefully by this point and time Andre Ward will have fought some decent names and started getting his popularity back, leading to a good PPV fight.
      400k buys would be > Canelo's last two ppvs...

Comment

• Originally posted by BlakBread904 View Post
        ....that's not how it works. Most people can't tell you who Andre Ward is. In order for GGG to capitalize off a win vs Ward in the manner you envision, Ward needs a bigger name. Being #1 P4P doesn't immediately equate to massive hype and increases in value. What's valuable is the ability to draw, because to draw means to generate revenue. and right now, Andre Ward has a very limited ability to draw.

Shame on me, but i still get surprised by adult men on here completely ignoring the fact that boxing is a deadly sport, guys don't do this just for pure love. it's a fkn job and they want to be compensated with an eye looking towards future earning potential. but no, fk the money...let's just go out on our shields because of the warrior spirit.

no.

Over the past 25 years, name one fighter who was ranked #1 pound for pound that wasn't generating several millions of dollars.

1989: Mike Tyson - no explanation needed
        90-92: Julio Caesar Chavez - no explanation needed
        93-95: Pernell Whitaker - Close but he was generating millions and was co-featured on a couple of PPVs.
        1996: Roy Jones Jr. - no explanation needed
        97-98: Oscar - no explanation needed
        99: Roy Jones - no explanation needed
        00-01: Shane Mosley - no explanation needed
        2002: B-Hop - no explanation needed
        2003: Roy Jones - no explanation needed
        2004: B-Hop - no explanation needed
        05-07: Floyd Mayweather
        08-11: Manny Pac
        Since: Floyd Mayweather

Over the past 25 years, the only pound for pound fighter that didn't hit mainstream was arguably Pernell Whitaker and that is even debateable because he made a ton of money during his boxing career and it helped land him megafights with Chavez Sr. and Oscar De La Hoya.

So you're telling me if GGG became the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world today, that he would be the first fighter over the past 25 years that wouldn't achieve stardom as a result from that? If you can't market the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world then you should be fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lords View Post
          This is false because GGG made the "50/50" offer to Ward. If he has no intentions in fighting Ward right now then don't throw out these false BS offers to people.
          He didn't make an offer to Ward. He just stated what it would take from Ward for the fight to happen.

And he said this before the fight with Lemieux came up.

So far as we know, Ward hasn't made an offer to GGG either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Exactly thats why he needs to look at the $$$ implications with any decision he makes first & foremost for himself & his family & that puts the makeable fight options in order of preference #1 Canelo, #2 Cotto, #3 Ward & #4 a random 160lber.
            My problem with that is numbers 1,2 &4 aren't locks to fight him anytime soon. Saunders just admitted he ain't interested unless he's shot as ****. This is a potential belt holder here. So unifying all the belts would be impossible were Saunders to defeat Lee.

LOL, but yea you're right, who knows if Canelo & Cotto don't have a do over of last time they had talks. Thats a valid take along with his age which I bring up quite often too. It would seem like that would be something that he'd know about soon & then maybe Ward looks better. So the clear move to make here is not to sign on ANY dotted line til GGG knows what why the wind is blowing on Canelo vs Cotto & how he plays a part in the winners life.
            Waiting on divas like that will be very stressful. They don't care what you say through the media. Cottos said the wbc won't dictate his opponents so imagine if he wins and ggg gets brought up. Canelo fights at 155...imagine his demands or desire for ggg. idk man, I just don't see any other fight bring more easy to make then Ward, Andy Lee, or a random can in the near future

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
              He didn't make an offer to Ward. He just stated what it would take from Ward for the fight to happen.

And he said this before the fight with Lemieux came up.

So far as we know, Ward hasn't made an offer to GGG either.
              GGG: "I want 50-50, absolutely I'm ready, I want fight with him"

Sounds like a verbal offer to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
                Canelo is a 300-350K pay per view fighter right now. If GGG beats Ward which would elevate him to p4p #1, they could easily market him to a 300K PPV fighter vs. decent opposition. Imagine how huge Canelo vs. GGG would be if GGG was #1 p4p?

Love Chocolatito but he will never in his career get the opportunity to get a win over an Andre Ward caliber opponent. GGG does right at this moment which is an opportunity Chocolatito would jump at.

None of those wins would do more for his status as a top p4p fighter than beating Andre Ward. They are all low risk/high reward fights and the Canelo/Cotto winner is no guarantee.
                The more popular GGG is, the better. Beating Canelo would do more for his popularity than beating Andre Ward. Ward is not a publicly popular fighter. Let Ward build up some steam, let him take fights and dominate as he usually does to build up some hype for the fight. In the meantime, Canelo vs Golovkin will impact GGGs popularity immensely, translating to even more publicity for Ward vs GGG.

I don't think he would beat Ward of course, but it makes sense to stay at his current weight, try to unify the belts, and later on get a fight vs Ward.

Remember, boxing is a business first and foremost to every fighter. They are in it for the money. Just the same as Ward or any other fighter.

Think about it.

I'm willing to bet that:

Scenario A
                Ward vs Golovkin first
                Canelo vs Golovkin second

will yield less $$$ compared to:

Scenario B
                Canelo vs Golovkin first
                Ward vs Golovkin second

Especially in the circumstances that Golovkin loses to Ward (more likely scenario).

The non-hardcore boxing fans know/give two ****s about P4P rankings.

Also, a win over Andre Ward doesn't mean it will make him more dominant than Roman Gonzalez. Gonzalez could move up to super flyweight and get some serious fights in there. I could see him P4P#1 if he dominates that division as well.

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
                400k buys would be > Canelo's last two ppvs...
                Yeah, against Lara and Angulo...

Canelo vs Cotto will easily double those numbers.
                Last edited by UNBIASED BOXING; 07-23-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
                  The only reason I can think of is that they don't believe he can win. If you have the opportunity to make yourself the absolute best in the sport you take it.
                  Obviously they don't have much faith otherwise they would jump on the opportunity. GGG looking for the biggest reward with the least risk. Can't blame him thought his just being smart. GGG is a business man first, warrior second or even third.

Comment

• Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                    According to his fans he is not about the money,but then when asked about Ward they bring up money...
                    His fans that don't think its about money still believe in the tooth fairy.

Comment

• Golovkin/Lemieux gets more ppv buys than Ward will get viewers on BET.

Comment

Working...
                      X