Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Gennady Golovkin Fear Greatness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golovkin doesn't even have the balls to fight Lara you really think he'd ever step in the ring with Ward?????

Comment

• Can't wait till Lemule destroys this clown.

Comment

• Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
        I just dont get why he needs a catchweight for Ward but not Froch or Chavez jr...makes 0 sense to me
        Same reason a guy like broner asks for one vs porter but not maidana, or Floyd vs Canelo and not cotto. Increase your chances of winning against a threat. I really respect that about porter, he had awful stipulations and did it anyway. Ggg felt more confident versus froch and certainly Chavez but not against Ward, even he knows he'd be the underdog. The problem is too much media results in too many quotes that comes back to haunt guys and then we crucify them on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
          this fight is going to be huge, huge, huge.
          Especially in a post-Mayweather climate. The build-up starts properly from right about now, and should happen in the next 3 or 4 fights. I just wish I could envisage GGG having more of a chance to win, though I am intrigued to see him in a fight where he's the clear underdog and needing to do something special to actually win.

Comment

• Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
            He currently has an offer on the table to fight Andre Ward at 168. A win for GGG over Andre Ward does the following for his career:

1. Puts him #1 on the pound for pound list upon the retirement of Floyd Mayweather

2. Makes him the biggest star in the sport of boxing

3. Makes him a title holder in 2 weight divisions with the opportunity to be lineal champ in 2 weight divisions simultaneously

4. Puts him into the hall of fame immediately (with his current streak of title defenses and his pound for pound status)

5. Would make him the most dominant fighter of the next era of boxing for years to come

Hall of fame fighters in the past capitalized on these opportunities:

Pac moving up 8 weight classes and jumping 2 to defeat De La Hoya
            Hopkins jumping 2 to defeat Tarver
            Floyd moving up 4 weight classes and moving up to defeat De La Hoya
            Jones moving up from MW to HW and winning titles in 4 weight divisions
            Duran moving up 2 to defeat Leonard and winning titles at 160 after starting his career at 119
            Leonard winning the MW title after starting out at welterweight
            Robinson, Armstrong and numerous others all moved up.

Now let's address these counter arguments from the stanboys:

Why don't Floyd be great and move up to fight GGG?

Answer: Floyd's legacy in boxing is established. Now it's GGGs turn.

Hagler never moved up

Answer: Because 168 wasn't really a recognized/established division yet. And if he had the opportunity to face one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world by moving up, I believe he would.

Moving up is easier for smaller fighters

See Hopkins and Jones above

Does Ward fear greatness by not moving up to fight Kovalev?

Yes. And he missed out on another opportunity for greatness by not moving up to defeat Dawson.

Discuss!!!
            You make some good points but I highlighted two things.

First off, although GGG beating Ward would enhance his boxing legacy and all boxing fans know that, it wouldn't do anything for his star status, let alone make him the biggest star in boxing.

Hagler v SPinks was spoken about at 175 for quite some time in the 80s and it was traditional for the middleweight champ to meet the lhw champ but Hagler hung around in the hopes of facing the smaller Leonard. I personally believe that hurt him a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
              There we go. Now we're getting the answer I was looking for. He isn't taking the Ward fight because he fears losing. By the end of 2015, GGG can stand as the #1 pound for pound boxer in the sport of boxing but he won't grasp at the opportunity because he fears losing.
              Well yeah, of course...

Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out, does it?

Ward is an established talent, who offers little financially. Yes he offers a great legacy win for GGG, but it's a pretty big ask, one that GGG doesn't NEED at all.

I'm really not sure why a lot of anti-GGG fans want him to face Ward so badly. You want him to move up to fight an extremely great talent, who will outsize and outweigh him in the ring. I'd rather wait until GGG grows into 168. Froch and Chavez offer a payday, and a better chance of winning

It's even stranger on Ward's side. What does he gain from beating an average sized Middleweight? GGG will be called a hype job if he loses to Ward, despite the fact he'd have it all stacked against him.

Comment

• Originally posted by B0XEO View Post
                Can't wait till Lemule destroys this clown.
                Lemon is a B grade fighter that will get blown out inside 5 rounds he has no chance .

Comment

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
                  Well yeah, of course...

Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out, does it?

Ward is an established talent, who offers little financially. Yes he offers a great legacy win for GGG, but it's a pretty big ask, one that GGG doesn't NEED at all.

I'm really not sure why a lot of anti-GGG fans want him to face Ward so badly. You want him to move up to fight an extremely great talent, who will outsize and outweigh him in the ring. I'd rather wait until GGG grows into 168. Froch and Chavez offer a payday, and a better chance of winning

It's even stranger on Ward's side. What does he gain from beating an average sized Middleweight? GGG will be called a hype job if he loses to Ward, despite the fact he'd have it all stacked against him.
                  I don't believe that. You're downplaying this tremendously. Winner of this fight is on the direct path to becoming the best of this era and the HBO machine will be in full force.

And this hater is talk is getting lame. Its weak and a counter argument used by peoe who have nothing to offer. We are fight fans that want to see matchups like this while the fighters are in their primes, not when they are in their mid 30s cashing out.

Comment

• Probably one of the most well written threads on NSB in a loooong time.

Has Freedom came in here yet with his bible non-sense and deflection?

Comment

• Originally posted by B0XEO View Post
                      Can't wait till Lemule destroys this clown.
                      One need only watch their respective fights with Rubio to understand why a Lemanure fan might have a seething hatred for GGG.

Comment

Working...
                      X