No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Gennady Golovkin Roadblocked Over Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
    Who in the world is talking about a fight from 14 years ago? Mayweather was naturally moving up the weight classes as he grew. I was referring to when Floyd finally settled at his current weight class for the past decade 147 and deciding to "move up" against the #1 guy in Canelo at a catchweight.
    Lol, weak excuse. Doesn't matter how long ago it was, he did it. I'm not sure why when it happened mattered.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      ... One cannot take Ward seriously...
      Golovkin first called him back in 2013...
      What did Ward do? He took E-Rod instead... E-Rod, doe...
      ... Then (on Nov. 17 2013) what did Ward say? Look: "I respect (Golovkin), but I see holes in his game. ... Ask them if they want it at 168 (pounds) right now." (NB: it was on Nov 17, 2013!!!)... Then what did Ward do? Ward retired!!!
      In 2014 Golovkin called Ward again but Ward came back as late as spring 2015 to fight the dangerous Paul Smith, doe!...
      ... Lately Ward is talking GGG again!

... Who can take this guy seriously? You never know what he will do next in a week or a month from now...
      ... If Ward really wants to be taken seriously he must at least fight someone of notice and call GGG after... Fight Dirrell, fight DeGale first...
      To conclude: Ward must shut up and fight a living body in order to prove himself worthy of a GGG fight...

At this point (after winning against Paul Smith!?!), Ward is just irrelevant!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cruisin' View Post
        bigger guys shouldn't be asked to come down

you never know if they're healthy at that weight

here's how i see it: when golovkin was a nobody and ward was a true 168, golovkin was truly willing to move up to 168 and take a chance on that fight to get his name in the lights

now golovkin has emerged as one of the stars of boxing and ward is a nearly forgotten fighter straddling between 168 and 175, so golovkin has much more attractive options like pursuing same sized canelo, lemiuex, etc

not ward's fault at all

so how about give up the charade and ward commits to 175 for kovalev, hopkins etc while golovkin admits he's a small MW and fights lara, lemiuex, canelo
        Hold on.....

You say " back when Golovkin was a nobody "......

He was happy to fight Froch at 168 only 2 months ago, not way back then.

Two months later, suddenly 168 is not an option for Gennady "I'm little doe" Golovkin.

WTF ?

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          To conclude: Ward must shut up and fight a living body in order to prove himself worthy of a GGG fight...

At this point (after winning against Paul Smith!?!), Ward is just irrelevant!
          HAHAHA!! or maybe Ward should return to being inactive, become a dishwasher, and then he can call out GGG. HAHAHA!!

Comment

Cotto owns the WBC belt in which Golovkin is mandatory to and the lineal middleweight crown, which Golovkin has every right to compete for. If Golovkin owned the lineal crown at 168 you'd have a point, but he's never fought there. All Golovkin is trying to do is win the titles in the weight class he campaigns at. What a crime!
            No he is not.

He wanted Chavez and Froch at 168.

But not Ward.

Its a blatant duck, no matter how you spin it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
              168, 50/50, hold the fight at Staples.

Sounds fair to me.
              Nope: fight Andre Dirrell first! Or the guy who beat Dirrell...

Comment

• The Triple Duck:

Lara
                Ward
                DeGale

Comment

• I am not sure why so much controversy surrounds this situation. He said that he would fight two fighters at SMW but not the guy that is better than both? And let's not play the draw game. De La Hoya was a big draw alone and Floyd was a poor draw with good name recognition. Put them together and the fight was huge. Put these two together in the ring and this fight WILL sale, period! This is a relatively easy fight to sale. Whether you agree with the method or not, the Great White Hype model will push this fight through the stratosphere, especially in the current social climate.

What is he going to do, wait on Cotto? Cotto is NOT fighting GGG for any amount. If Canelo wins, he will not fight Golovkin and he is a big enough star that no alphabet organization will strip him. If the winner of Cotto-Canelo relinquishes his belt, Golovkin gets to fight another bum for the title. If Canelo wins, he possibly fights Golovkin in about 2 years, when he will be pushing 35 years old. If you can't make money where you are, move or stop complaining.

And as much as I hate to admit it, the same applies to my favorite active fighter Rigondeaux.

Comment

• Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                    He probably moved up because he wasn't tiny for the weightclass. Use your head for a minute.
                    He wasn't small for his weight class, he wasn't killing himself to make weight either. Floyd could have continued to fight at 130 abd he was in fact outsized against Castillo considerably. I don't need to use my head because unlike u, I was watching boxing at that time. N even moving up, he didn't have to fight a guy like Castillo in his first official fight at that weight. Castillo was large, imposing and a tough guy who had a reputation for beating up high quality boxers. Seriously stop making excuses. Moving up and fighting dangerous boxers are what great boxers do. Golovkin not doing so is weak and with his resume it's quite telling and pathetic

Comment

Who in the world is talking about a fight from 14 years ago? Mayweather was naturally moving up the weight classes as he grew. I was referring to when Floyd finally settled at his current weight class for the past decade 147 and deciding to "move up" against the #1 guy in Canelo at a catchweight.
                      Canelo called Mayweather out at 150, Mayweather gave him 2lbs more. Mayweather the A side moved up and fought Cotto the B side at the full 154 limit.

Comment

Working...
                      X