Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the better defensive fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    Funny how you left out Canelo, Pacquiao,, and Hatton. Dismiss Mosley but praise Pascal? Yeah, okay. You also left out the fact that Hopkins lost two fights to Jermaine Taylor. Mayweather beat every one of his opponents. It's not close. At all.
    Hopkins resume post 40;

Howard Eastman
    Antonio Tarver
    Winky Wright
    Kelly Pavlik
    Enrique Ornelas
    Roy Jones Jr
    Jean Pascal
    Tavoris Cloud
    Karo Murat
    Beibut Shumenov

Mayweather's resume post 30;

Oscar De La Hoya
    Ricky Hatton
    Juan Manuel Marquez
    Shane Mosley
    Victor Ortiz
    Miguel Cotto
    Robert Guererro
    Canelo Alvarez
    Marcos Maidana x2
    Manny Pacquaio

Pretty obvious to me which one is better.

Comment

• What B Hop is doing at this age is amazing but people get carried away with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP View Post
        I haven't voted because there is no right answer and that's why it's deadlocked 50/50.

You can say Floyd got hit less but can counter that with Whitaker was in the pocket longer and was a more offensive minded fighter. It's a matter of preference.
        Fair enough, I didn't vote either.

Comment

What B Hop is doing at this age is amazing but people get carried away with it.
          Agreed. It's impressive but not like he's beating pound for pounders or something. After Tarver, he's lost to all the elite fighters he's faced.

Comment

What B Hop is doing at this age is amazing but people get carried away with it.
            Hopkins is an excellent defensive fighter and it's his defense which has allowed him to work so effectively at 50 years of age. Thing is though, prime for prime, Hopkins doesn't rank as well as Pea or Mayweather or going further back, guys like Pep or Ali cos Hops, in his prime years, got hit a lot and lost to the only great fighter he faced (RJJ).

A truly exceptional defensive fighter would not be losing or getting hit so often in his prime years.

So, I agree, people do get ab it carried away but factor in Hopkins entire career, move set and accomplishments and Bhop is a top 20 ATG. And that's where arguments looking at only one quality is not good enough, a great fighter and can do many things, very well.

Comment

• One more time........

I already posted my very well thought out post. I just want to add to it because after reading so many biased posts and looking at how close the voting is; tells me how DISHONEST you all are. Floyd can be hit. It's his lack of A Level, prime competition that gives you noobs the impression he was a better defensive fighter. Floyd cannot dodge a good jab to save his life. He gets hit to the body by everyone he faces. In his toughest fights, he looks average. Corley, Castillo, Cotto, De La Hoya, Maidana, and Pacquiao. Maidana EMBARASSED him! In the rematch, he used the same tactics and dirty stuff he did against Manny. He was in there to collect his huge check and survive. He is not in the same league as Pea because Pea fought the very best! You could not hit him consistently with any punch. FACT. So, why is this even a thread again? Because you immature Floyd fans don't like the truth? You wanna act like he wasn't scared of Manny? Like he didn't lose a clear decision to Castillo? That his resume is full of B Level guys? Answer this morons. Do you think SRL would miss Floyd's chin all night? Hearns? Chavez Sr? Duran? Terry Norris? A Prime De La Hoya? Trinidad? The answer is simple. NO THEY WOULD NOT! Floyd knows what it is. He fights guys who are either old or not skilled enough or smart enough to hit him. And even then, he still gets busted up but he's a better defender than Pea? Do us all a favor and either leave the site, or stop watching boxing!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
                I already posted my very well thought out post. I just want to add to it because after reading so many biased posts and looking at how close the voting is; tells me how DISHONEST you all are. Floyd can be hit. It's his lack of A Level, prime competition that gives you noobs the impression he was a better defensive fighter. Floyd cannot dodge a good jab to save his life. He gets hit to the body by everyone he faces. In his toughest fights, he looks average. Corley, Castillo, Cotto, De La Hoya, Maidana, and Pacquiao. Maidana EMBARASSED him! In the rematch, he used the same tactics and dirty stuff he did against Manny. He was in there to collect his huge check and survive. He is not in the same league as Pea because Pea fought the very best! You could not hit him consistently with any punch. FACT. So, why is this even a thread again? Because you immature Floyd fans don't like the truth? You wanna act like he wasn't scared of Manny? Like he didn't lose a clear decision to Castillo? That his resume is full of B Level guys? Answer this morons. Do you think SRL would miss Floyd's chin all night? Hearns? Chavez Sr? Duran? Terry Norris? A Prime De La Hoya? Trinidad? The answer is simple. NO THEY WOULD NOT! Floyd knows what it is. He fights guys who are either old or not skilled enough or smart enough to hit him. And even then, he still gets busted up but he's a better defender than Pea? Do us all a favor and either leave the site, or stop watching boxing!!!!!!!!!
                Smh....Floyd haters ruin good boxing debates.

Comment

• I would say Floyd.

He has a disciplined defense. In defense there is caution. Floyd is the master in efficient fighting.

Sweet Pea had the more talent but clowned about a lot cos he was that good. However if he fought as disciplined as Floyd, it would be hard to make a case of him losing
                  Last edited by Slick_Rick; 07-18-2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Smh....Floyd haters ruin good boxing debates.
                    I can't believe the guy still doesn't use paragraphs.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      I can't believe the guy still doesn't use paragraphs.
                      Baby steps. He just matured past writing in large purple font. Paragraphs and punctuation comes later.

Comment

Working...
                      X