Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Mayweather Vs Berto master thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Mayweather for reminding me I dont need to buy the fight. I respect how you managed your career but as a fan of boxing wish there was one rival (castillo maybe) that gave you a run for your money. I will just spend my cash on another pay per view GGG

Comment

• Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
      There does not seem to be too much buzz around the fight, for once a Mayweather thread is pretty lethargic.
      ESPN isn't supporting him at all. Fat Dan slammed it. Some reporter I forgot his name slammed it and the only name he brought up was GGG before he went on saying the public won't go crazy for this fight.

They're missing out tho because Andre Berto is coming to bring the pain. Mayweather won't be able to handle Berto on his A-Game. 100% Berto punches harder than Thomas Hearns right hand.

Comment

• Mayweather easily. He will get his first KO in a long time

Comment

• I don't think he'll retire after this... no. 50 is too tempting!

Comment

• Originally posted by STAX ON DECK View Post
            i think im gonna hit up the theater for this one

im gonna have to think of a clever way to sneak in a 40

my man!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              ESPN isn't supporting him at all. Fat Dan slammed it. Some reporter I forgot his name slammed it and the only name he brought up was GGG before he went on saying the public won't go crazy for this fight.

They're missing out tho because Andre Berto is coming to bring the pain. Mayweather won't be able to handle Berto on his A-Game. 100% Berto punches harder than Thomas Hearns right hand.
              Well they're saving $65-75, I'll probably end up watching the fight anyway, I like watching Floyd even though it's a mismatch. Berto is a nice dude too. It'll be most likely Ł15-20 on Sky Box Office in England.

Comment

• My conspiracy theory regarding Floyd vs Berto

So I always love a good sports conspiracy theory and need a good justification for the Jr. vs Berto fight so here it goes.

Back in early 2010 Berto was scheduled to fight Sugar Shane Mosley. Was a very good fight at the time. Berto was an undefeated champion and Mosley was a year removed from the Margacheato fight. Suddenly the tragic situation in Haiti came about. Berto unexpectedly pulled out of the fight, saying he couldn"t focus with everything going on. But many questioned it due to them saying they were going to use the fight to raise money for Haiti. Now around that same time the initial Mayweather/Pacquiao negotiations fell through and Mayweather needed an opponent for May 2010. Paul Williams was asking for the fight, even said he could make 147 despite his last fight being at middleweight but Floyd declined.

I think that Berto took some step aside money so that Mosley would be available to fight Jr. in May of 2010. Why would he do this? I think Al Haymon promised him a Floyd fight down the line to make it worth it.
                Now jump to June 2011, Floyd had gone on "vacation" after the Mosley win and was ready to come back in September of that year.

They put him in with Victor Ortiz in what many viewed as a tune up fight to set up a Floyd fight that year. Floyd and 50 cent even showed up to the fight. We all know what happened as Ortiz had the fight of his life and ended up getting the decision in a fight of the year war. Berto then took some time off and a rematch was cancelled with Ortiz the next year due to a failed drug test for Berto and he continued to slide after that, losing to Soto Karass and should have lost to Josesito Lopez if the ref didn"t pull shananigans.
                Its possible that despite all this Al Haymon still owed Berto a Floyd payday but he needed to convince Jr. to take the fight. Floyd may not really care since he gets paid either way but it may have taken some time to convince him to take the PR hit he is currently facing.

That"s my theory, not sourced at all but its really the only way I can justify this fight IMO.

Comment

• I didn't look for any holes in the story, but I kinda like the "we owe you one" angle & it sounds like it could be believable. I mean it was definitely odd how Berto was the guy one fight from Mayweather so many times & now he's the least deserving Mayweather Sweepstakes winner seemingly at random with a W over Josesito Lopez.

I would say I think its a big leap to think Haymon/Mayweather were so indebted to Berto for "stepping aside" that they'd throw a bone this big for him instead of just throwing him some more money behind the scenes. I mean throwing him $2M & fighting Thurman or even Porter woulda been a superior decision for Mayweather's legacy (granted his legacy is already written, but a Thurman W woulda looked way better than a Berto W will).

Comment

• 12-0 Mayweather. Berto is battered and bloodied by the time the final bell tolls. Floyd claims retirement only to fight again 8 months later after trying to dupe fans into paying for this bum fight.

Comment

• Easy work Floyd. Berto is getting KTFO'd.

Comment

Working...
                      X