Hearn: If not Mayweather - Rios, Alexander/Chaves then Bradley

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearn: If not Mayweather - Rios, Alexander/Chaves then Bradley

Kell Brook eyes Tim Bradley fight, after Brandon Rios

As yet unconfirmed Brook-Rios still looks likely for September 12, writes John Dennen

WHILE not yet finalised, it looks like IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook will headline the September 12 show at the O2 in London against American Brandon Rios. Subsequently a major fight against Tim Bradley could be in the frame.

“Brook-Rios, we’re in discussion with Top Rank. It’s not done yet. If that is done, then that will be the headline bout at the O2 on September 12. If not Kell might fight in October instead but he’s in training now with that date in mind,” Brook’s promoter, Eddie Hearn told Boxing News. “If it’s Rios, I think after that we look at Bradley, if we can’t get [Amir] Khan. It’s a really good fight. It’s a really tough fight I rate Tim Bradley as one of the top welterweights in the world. I really do. He’s very hard to beat, tough, great engine, great chin, explosive. I rate Keith Thurman as well. I also rate Kell Brook as, outside of Floyd Mayweather, the number one welterweight in the world. I do. I think he beats them all. The Bradley fight is a really tough fight but I like that fight.”

Rios would be Brook’s second voluntary defence. If he comes through, as expected, he may have to face a mandatory challenger. That could set up a fight with Tim Bradley for next year.

“After September 12 we are due a mandatory probably around December, January time and that at the moment is the winner of Devon Alexander against Diego Chaves. We have to see what happens with that. By then he would have had two voluntaries in Frankie Gavin and whoever we choose next. I don’t mind the winner of Alexander against Chaves,” Hearn said.

Like Carl Frampton versus Scott Quigg, Brook-Khan is one of the elusive super-fights that haunts the British boxing scene. “It is a 50-50 fight. I believe Amir thinks he’s going to win the fight, I know Kell Brook does. But it is a 50-50 fight. So it is a huge risk but the risk is there with the reward,” said Hearn. “You’re going to get more money than you would in any other fight and you’re going to fill a stadium in the UK, it’s going to be an epic night for British boxing. How long can you wait for Floyd Mayweather?”

For a long time Khan has been tipped as a future opponent for Floyd Mayweather. Hearn has also put his fighter, Brook forward for a potential shot at the pound-for-pound ruler. However he is not optimistic. “I’ve spoken to their team. I’ve put Kell’s name in the hat. Why would you fight Kell Brook if you’re Floyd Mayweather? He’s probably one of the most dangerous fighters in the division, he’s technically very good, he’s young, he’s hungry. Again, if you were Floyd Mayweather, why would you fight Amir Khan? In case people think I’m being pro Kell Brook, why would you fight Amir Khan? He’s young he’s hungry, he’s got things that can trouble Floyd Mayweather. He [Floyd] is coming off the biggest fight in world boxing history. You haven’t got anything to prove.”

Brook isn’t likely to linger much longer waiting for an invite to the big “Money” fight. A final decision on the September 12 bill is expected this week.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/kell...-brandon-rios/

Meanwhile, Khan eyes Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Cotto.

Comment

So I was right all along when I said he should move back a few weeks.. He might not even fight in sept. Where's dirk

Comment

Originally posted by FLYBOY View Post
        You know as well as i that Pacquiao and Cotto aren't going to happen.

Comment

Khan begs Mayweather, "eyes" two other fighters who he knows he can't fight ever, even if he wanted to.

There's no chance in hell he'd ever fight Cotto, that's just delusional name-dropping to take away attention from his ducking of Brook.

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
          So I was right all along when I said he should move back a few weeks.. He might not even fight in sept. Where's dirk
          The plan is Rios/Mayweather in September. However, if they don't get Mayweather and Rios chooses to fight in Dubai, they'll need a big fight for Brook to do PPV in the UK and they'd probably let AJ headline on his own in Sept.

Comment

I'd rather see him fight Chaves or Alexander than Rios tbh, I'd like to see how he'd deal with them compared to Thurman and Khan. Chaves already schooled Rios, I know Rios is more marketable but I'd rather they just went straight to Chaves.

And I'm eyeing Jennifer Aniston...

If he can't get those names, he should move on to the next best thing, not somebody out of his league.

Comment

Hopefully he gets the Mayweather fight but I doubt it.

Rios better not back out after all that smack he talked.

Didn't realise the Chaves/Alexander mandatory was due before the end of the year.

Then hopefully Bradley and Thurman next year.

Then who knows? Maybe after all that he'll be worthy to share the ring with her majesty the Queen Khan-tradiction.

Comment

So basically he wants to pick Rios (easy), Alexander/Chaves, (medium), or Bradley (hard).

Brook needs to start stepping up his competition or else he's gonna get the whole "scared ass weak ass can't beat A level USA fighters British fighter" thing attached to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                  You know as well as i that Pacquiao and Cotto aren't going to happen.
                  No actually hes legitimately that stupid

Comment

LOL at these cute Brook fans.

Enjoy the bandwagon, racist folks. When Khan demolishes Brook, there will always be another non-coloured fighter from Britain that you folks can ride on.
                    Last edited by FLYBOY; 07-01-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X