No announcement yet.

Americans: Calm down about Spence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    I agree he is a very complete fighter, but for me doesn't really seem great at anything that is why I used the Lamont comparison who is also pretty solid all round. He doesn't have that elite speed you normally associate with a top prospect though, especially a top African American prospect.

I can't see how he will impose himself on the very top guys, unless he has levels and layers which we haven't yet seen.
    I feel this could be it. I like Spence but I feel he is a bit flat footed, his defense could be tighter and he lacks head movement. I've heard from people that have sparred with him that his defense is better depending on the opponent. If he's going offensive, he tends to not be as defensively responsible as I prefer my fighters to be but time will tell. He's not ready for Thurman though.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Johnson was better than Greco.
      5 years ago he was. He's on par with him now.

Comment

Spence has a bright future.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
          The importance people place on speed is beginning to annoy me. He sets up his punches and places them will; that is better than the flash punches thrown by the likes of Khan and Broner.
          Keep the faith

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
            The importance people place on speed is beginning to annoy me. He sets up his punches and places them will; that is better than the flash punches thrown by the likes of Khan and Broner.
            Lol - speed in boxing is king. Too many people like you associate speed, with just hand speed. Spence is not fast in general, which is difficult to overcome when you are being touted as an elite prospect.

Ill tell you what name me 5 fighters who have made it to the very top of the sport who didn't have at least very good speed for their weight class? You will find that most of the guys you name had at least 2 out of 3 of the following qualities: toughness, world class power, unbelievable stamina, or a combination of all 3.

Comment

Non-Americans-That-Like-To-Speak-In-Condescending-Fashion-To-Americans-Because-You're-From-Some-****ty-Little-Country-That-We-Defend-And-You-Hate-That:

Piss off.

Comment

Lol - speed in boxing is king. Too many people like you associate speed, with just hand speed. Spence is not fast in general, which is difficult to overcome when you are being touted as an elite prospect.

Ill tell you what name me 5 fighters who have made it to the very top of the sport who didn't have at least very good speed for their weight class? You will find that most of the guys you name had at least 2 out of 3 of the following qualities: toughness, world class power, unbelievable stamina, or a combination of all 3.
                Exactly these sweet science professors don't realise you can have all the "boxing IQ" in the world but if you don't have elite physical attributes like speed, power, chin you'll never be elite. You need to be exceptional in one of these attributes to be truly elite. Floyd would have never been as great as he was if not for his lightning quick hands and cat like reflexes, even with his ring IQ, he would have been great but not elite.

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
                  Keep the faith
                  Now can you please answer my former question about what kind of hope did you talk about? Because as far as I see Americans haven't got any problems even if you want it.

Comment

He will need to have some serious intangibles and lots of other qualities we have yet to see not to mention an iron chin to be able to fight with that style. I am not saying it isn't possible but even with an aggressive style I would like to have seen much more than I have to be confident he will be a top fighter. He just doesn't do anything spectacular.
                    You can say that **** about any prospect because there is literally no way to tell if a guy has the will to constantly work in the gym and get better especially once they have success.

Literally that is one of the most important things in boxing and there is no way to tell how that will play out.

His in ring abilities and talents are just fine to have a ton of success as long as he fights to his strengths and doesn't try to be something he isn't, which I see no signs of at this point.

Comment

I also like speed and fast fighters. Tbh I'm more of a sucker for speed than for power but if you think that speed in boxing is king than tell that the people who dickriding Golovkin or Brook or Maidana, Danny Garcia or idk... Every popular but kinda slow fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X