No announcement yet.

Americans: Calm down about Spence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
    Ward won olympic gold so he obvs had serious talent.
    Yeah exactly, you can say the beginning of his pro career was relatively low profile and I think the Boone knock down killed a lot of the hype for a while, but I felt he had built momentum again before the super six. He just picked the wrong promoter out of the amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post
      I'm not American but why is that bother you? They're excited about him? Good to them then and you can't say that they haven't got any cause of it btw... Spence is a good prospect.
      Lots of American haters on this site who clearly want Americans to NOT succeed in this sport mostly because of sourness and nationalist causes. At the same time they don't realize that the thing they root for isn't good at all for the sport in general. I don't know if you're one of them or not this isn't certainly directed at you but I don't see that Spence would be overhyped, so why does it bother you if someone excited about him?
      Great post.

Too many posters on this site have their little anti-America agenda and it angers them to see any American fighters succeed. Well, tough ****.

Why shouldn't we be allowed to get excited about our young prospects? Is that only permitted for the Brits and Eastern Euros or what?

Comment

Can't say I've seen an extraordinary amount of hype.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
          He is not looking like a superstar to me. The kid is a good solid fighter, he has good fundamentals, looks composed, and looks heavy handed, but he is not the second coming. He is a little slow and looks a little open, so relax. I think you have a world champion on you're hands but he definitely is NOT the future of boxing or anything of that type he is just another one in the mix in a stacked division.

His lack of speed will limit his potential in my opinion. He has good timing and accuracy which will help negate some of that lack of speed but he is the type of fighter who tries to be very precise and his can be a problem as he goes higher in level especially as his feet are a little slow, I can definitely see him struggling against certain styles.

I see lots of American fans getting overexcited with his potential, the thing is I can see the circle coming already. You guys are going to build him up and as soon as he struggles or picks up an L he is going to become a bum overnight. As I said Spence is a good fighter, from the looks of it he will be at the top for a long time, but with the limitations he has don't expect him to be an elite unbelievable fighter. I don't see a young Mayweather, Mosley, or Judah. He doesn't have that type of talent to me, maybe more comparable to a Lamont Peterson in terms of talent and level, not style.
          If a rising Eastern European from the 2016 Olympics comes to America he will knock Spence out Those are the guys who are taking over boxing

Comment

Hopkins and Ward don't have very good speed? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Marquez doesn't have good speed?? In comparison to who? Pacquiao? Bradley?

I am sorry but I can't agree with you on the above, the only person on koolaid here is you. But my 'closing comments' are relevant because Chavez and Hagler were exactly the type of fighters I knew you were going to name, you could throw Foreman and others into that equation, and they are iron men, exactly the type of qualities I was describing in that paragraph. Which is how you need to be to exist at elite level without elite speed.
            Yet again, you are shifting the post which makes me believe you have an agenda. Hopkins and Ward do not have very good speed for their division; they are/were not slow plodders incapable of pulling the trigger in time but nor is Erol Spence.

I did not say Marquez didn't have good speed and the fact that you interpreted it that way makes is a blatant example of you shifting the post. Your assertion was that those at the top have very good speed for their division; to that end, someone with good speed would not meet your criteria.

Your closing comments are not relevant and is a case of you shifting the goal post again. My claim that people place too much importance on speed is not disproved by you listing other areas of importance; in fact, what you said supported what I had to say.

Comment

The guy looks fantastic.

He obviously felt the guys punches yesterday and threw off the shackles and went through his full arsenal with impunity.

I think they can step him now. He will be good enough as world level at the bare minimum.

Comment

He is not looking like a superstar to me. The kid is a good solid fighter, he has good fundamentals, looks composed, and looks heavy handed, but he is not the second coming. He is a little slow and looks a little open, so relax. I think you have a world champion on you're hands but he definitely is NOT the future of boxing or anything of that type he is just another one in the mix in a stacked division.

His lack of speed will limit his potential in my opinion. He has good timing and accuracy which will help negate some of that lack of speed but he is the type of fighter who tries to be very precise and his can be a problem as he goes higher in level especially as his feet are a little slow, I can definitely see him struggling against certain styles.

I see lots of American fans getting overexcited with his potential, the thing is I can see the circle coming already. You guys are going to build him up and as soon as he struggles or picks up an L he is going to become a bum overnight. As I said Spence is a good fighter, from the looks of it he will be at the top for a long time, but with the limitations he has don't expect him to be an elite unbelievable fighter. I don't see a young Mayweather, Mosley, or Judah. He doesn't have that type of talent to me, maybe more comparable to a Lamont Peterson in terms of talent and level, not style.
                Hell, as long as we know hyping another American fighter gets under your skins, we are going to keep doing it. And for that you are going to hate him, but he doesn't need your kind. We run boxing.

Comment

Good Lord you ****ers love to always make it a nationalistic thing

That chip on your shoulders, let it go mates

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                    Good Lord you ****ers love to always make it a nationalistic thing

That chip on your shoulders, let it go mates
                    Goes both ways tbf

Comment

The only thing Errol has to show me is that he has a solid chin. He showed he can adjust to adversity, can box, can jab and can fight. You better get used to him pissing you off.

Comment

Working...
                      X