Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roman Gonzalez: P4P #2 and Undefeated? That's TOTAL CRAP!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    Which 5 are better?
    I don't know, I'm not in the habbit of making P4P lists, but he wasn't even in the top 10 as far as I'm aware last time, and has a good win and shoots straight upto number 2?

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
      He is not over-rated. He has so many moves and has a high boxing IQ. He needs better competition
      Hence the "in my book" part of my statement. Personally, loving the lower weights and following them closely, his resume is quite limited as of the last few years. Again, I have beaten this topic to death and I'm sick of explaining my opinions and views but that's exactly what they are, opinions and views.

Sure his style is pleasing to watch, but who wouldn't look impressive or devastating against limited foes? Yaegashi, his best win in some time, wouldn't and shouldn't be enough to catapult anyone into the top 10 pound for pound. I mean, Akira dropped back down to 108 and was conquered in a faster fashion with a more devastating KO by Pedro Guevara, does that make Pedro a top ten pound for pound fighter too?

Roman went from not even cracking the top or barely fitting into it before that bout, to stomping down past more proven fighters on the list, how? What has he done since to garner such accolades? Because if we are talking about his over all resume, which is good no doubt, why wasn't he placed or even mentioned on the list before?

Thus, my statement. Again, it's all personal opinion and views on the matter.

Comment

You could say the same about Floyd and Castillo.

Comment

Originally posted by Brickyardigan View Post
          Let me just say, I appreciate Roman Gonzalez tenacity and his fighting style. He reminds me of the fighters of the older generations where they showed great skill but also employed the attitude to constantly find a way to end their opponent in dramatic fashion. His recent fight on the undercard of Gennady Golovkin against Edgar Sosa was a great display of skill, power and action against a former champion. To show the ability to get him out of there in 2 rounds was spectacular and noteworthy.

However, he is not what the powers that be is trying to tell the public and boxing ignorant. His style is casual friendly but the guy is being hyped up more than he deserve to be at this point. Basically putting this guy at P4P #2 is absolutely wrong and premature. People lets not forget what happened last time. You guys are creating another #48(Pacquiao) situation where American viewers are told this guy is the most exciting fighter to watch and also has top notch skill much above their competition. He's not meant to be there just yet.. not just yet.

There should be protest about this guy's place on the P4P list, as he has legitimately been outboxed , outskilled and beaten before soundly. We do not need another premature hyped fighter where he is not what the narrative said about him matches up with his overall career. He is not an undefeated fighter in this sport, he has been gifted. The Mexican Juan Francisco Estrada should be P4P #2 if we all feel Roman Gonzalez should have that position. He legitimately beaten and outclassed Gonzalez in their showdown.

Yes, just like the narrative between #48 and the Great Professor Juan Manuel Marquez, one fighter has rightfully won but been thrown into the abyss of shadows after being robbed to promote the fighter the powers that be wants to bring to American audience forefront and collect their dollars. Talk of a rematch forgotten and years go by. Juan Francisco Estrado continues to outbox and stop his opponents in beautiful technical fashion but gets no coverage or promotion to build his fanbase. Roman Gonzalez however gets to take on less opponents for more exposure and fed to the global community for bigger pay checks, hoping to drown out any talk of a rematch.

He's not undefeated, and definitely not P4P #2. Watch the fight for yourself and you will see how beautiful Juan Estrado neutralize and outboxed Gonzalez.

One last point. A more secure and correct P4P list that has Gonzalez on it should look like this.

1) Floyd Mayweather
          2) Guillermo Rigondeaux
          3) Wladimir Klitschko
          4) Terrence Crawford
          5) Juan Estrada Francisco
          6) Timothy Bradley
          7) Juan Manuel Marquez
          8) Roman Gonzalez
          9) Sergey Kovalev
          10) Carl Froch
          48) Manny Pacquiao

Lets be clear folks, and not make the same mistake so soon.
          Hes not #2 but he's top ten. IDK where Id put him but hes up there somewhere. The arguements that you make as to why Gonzalez shouldnt be #2are some of the same reasons why people feel Floyd isnt #1, people say "the Mexican" Castillo beat him and some say Maidana did too. The p4p list is all mythical and I think Boxrec's is somewhat computer generated if not fully. I do feel most if not all websites, sanctioning bodies, and publicist fail to recognize the smaller weight classes so its not bad (per say) to see a little guy on there. Besides Id rather see a guy like Roman Gonzalez on the p4p rankings than Adrien Broner and Lucian Bute which the ring had them as #4 & 5 at one point, geez that was disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
            I don't know, I'm not in the habbit of making P4P lists, but he wasn't even in the top 10 as far as I'm aware last time, and has a good win and shoots straight upto number 2?
            Thats where the confusion has come from then. He's had plenty of good wins, just not on American television. He should have been on the P4P lists sooner, but people just didnt know about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
              You could have made your point without referencing Pacquiao because his pedigree is unquestionable and comparing Gonzalez to him only serves to legitimize Gonzalez's claim.
              Actually my whole point about bringing up #48 is to point out the past transgression of the public letting themselves be fooled in to believing the hype.

Pacquaio pedigree is more hot air than greatness as was proven several times and most recently on May 2nd. He's a quitter and doesn't have heart to keep throwing. Gonzalez showed he can be neutralized and will stop throwing when punches land on him in combination flush.
              Originally posted by HEND View Post
              He is very good but more skilled than Rigo? Hell fucking no...
              Exactly but look at the poll results. All these idiots voted that Gonzalez deserves to be higher and is much more skilled.
              The #48 syndrome is starting once again..
              Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              Estrada did not outclass Gonzalez.

Have you even seen that fight?? The only one outclassed was Estrada.
              Have you seen the fight??? Gonzalez was conserving his energy and not throwing a lot.

Estrada combinations was beautiful bouncing off Gonzalez head and body. He will open up Gonzalez guard with hooks then come in with unorthodox uppercuts. He rocked Gonzalez several times and pieced him up with plenty combos. Gonzalez hurt Estradiol badly at times but the consistency and constant action was pressed by Estrada. He will use range and inside fighting similar to Marquez to keep Gonzalez one demensional and pensive to throw.
              Originally posted by Cut Man View Post
              Why do you guys have to disrespect Roman Gonzalez. He's the best P4P fighter in the world after Floyd Mayweather. Officially on Ring Magazine and here on Boxing Scene.

Just because he fights in lighter weight classes, He's still a 3 weight division world champion with potential to go up and dominate at Superfly and Bantam in the next few years.

43 Fights 43 win 37 Knock Outs. This guy is an outstanding fighter, A extremely skilled boxer and he entertains the fans. Don't hate on him just because he's a smaller fighter

I don't think their a guy under 120lb who could beat this guy
              He was already beaten by Estrada and was gifted the decision. The first 3 rounds Estrada stole and then took 7 more rounds. The only rounds Gonzalez won was the ones when he hurt Estrada and Estrada had to use his legs and defense to recover and parry Gonzalez shots. For someone so prolific and supposedly the best offensive fighter, he found it hard to land on Estrada when he was hurt visibly. Also Gonzalez face was more mashed in than Estrada by a large margin.

Comment

Boys got skills and looks good. P4P is opinion so why not but for me, personally, he isnt #2

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                  Boys got skills and looks good. P4P is opinion so why not but for me, personally, he isnt #2
                  Yeah but dig it.

I'm criticizing the Top Boxing website Boxingscene.com for putting the guy at #2 when he's been out boxed and out fought before. There are guys around his Division and higher that shows more superior skills and much more unequaled.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                    It is true because there's no definitive list. It's people's opinions.
                    This ^ is right you know. 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                      Thats where the confusion has come from then. He's had plenty of good wins, just not on American television. He should have been on the P4P lists sooner, but people just didnt know about him.
                      I know, I obviously didn't really refer to him not having any other good wins, but the fight just gone is the one that's placed him at #2 on 2 lists I've seen.

He's impressive to watch, I'm a fan, and will look out for more of him.

Comment

Working...
                      X