No announcement yet.

Floyd's Top 5 Toughest Opponents after 48 Pro Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baya View Post
    yo, i was but a wee baya when i saw that fight live in the graham auditorium in SF.

what i remember from that night was chaves pressing him but mayweather just evading and landing shot after shot after shot. it wasn't competitive at all for me, jesus just kept moving, dude had a gas tank on him.
    Floyd did land a bunch of shots. But Chavez' pace and pressure made Floyd work. But in the center of the ring and in the pocket, Floyd didn't shined.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    It's funny that the 4 fights that most of the public said were the most risky and dangerous were Corrales, Mosley, Canelo and Pacquaio and he beat all of them easily.

And the somewhat routine victories most of the public expected in Castillo, Maidana, Cotto, Chavez were his tougher fights.

What's that thing that Roger Mayweather says about people and knowing about boxing?
    That's funny but it's so true. All the guys that were supposed to KILL him, he beat with ease. Just shows how great of boxer he truly is.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
      Castillo, Cotto, Maidana, Chavez, Augustus.

No coincidence that the first 3 were all much bigger guys, that's really your only chance.
      I'd argue they weren't that much bigger at all.

Comment

Originally posted by IAintBiasedTho View Post
        why is everyone saying Chaves over De La Hoya? He had real trouble with De La Hoya and I dont see Chaves as giving him real trouble...just a massive amount of pressure.,..but if you look, he was VERY well under control and that shoulder roll worked perfectly against the short Chaves
        I don't think there was any real difficulty with Oscar.

I had that 117-111, Oscar threw flurries but he hit nothing but air 90% of the time. To me it was ineffective aggression while getting hit clean in return.

Corley was more difficult than Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          That's a tough question. I feel Maidana was tougher than Cotto overall as it was more sustained but Cotto fought the better fight & had the better moments. Maidana did a lot of good work but at the same time smothered his own work.
          Kind of the same with Chavez & Hatton. I think Chavez did the better work in particular to the body but Hatton was the tougher fight because he took Floyd out of his comfort zone and made him work every second of every round and made it real rough & physical in there.

In actual order of the toughest I'd go with; Castillo 1, Maidana 1, Cotto, Hatton, Chavez
          I just have this image of Floyd being pretty uncomfortable in there with Hatton early on. Like from the first bell if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by -DSG- View Post
            Actually, they were.

Comment

Castillo
              Maidana
              Cotto
              Augustus
              Chavez

Comment

Taking Floyd at his word it's Cotto and Augustus then the rest. The eye test, I think you can have your choice of Castillo, Maidana or Cotto in any order. I don't think the Maidana fight was what I call fighting. I'm okay with inside fighting but he was fighting dirty so I don't give him as much credit as others.

Cotto
                Castillo
                Maidana
                Hatton

Comment

Originally posted by V.WEBB View Post
                  Actually, they were.
                  5 pounds is much bigger? Floyd had reach and height on every single one of those guys lol.

Comment

The most competitive fight ! For me has to be against Oscar . In all the time i have been watching floyd ive not seen enyone give him the problems Oscar gave him ! Think it was a close split decision in the end says it all !

Comment

Originally posted by -DSG- View Post
                      Really?

Maidana looked at least a division bigger to me, he had a big size advantage. Cotto was literally a division bigger and Castillo was always pretty huge at lightweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X