Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there a double standard for Kovalev and Stevenson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
    Then why kick and scream for a purse bid?
    maybe they thought they can win the bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      I have to get a better understanding of what's going on with this thing. I find it very difficult to believe Kovalev doesn't wanna fight Stevenson.
      That's what I call a sheer epiphany...

(Haymon just pretends he wants to pull Kovalev out of his HBO contract -- which he knows it's highly impossible... And then pretend that Kova is a duck of his duck.)

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        If they knew they wouldn't/couldn't ditch HBO, then they shouldn't have requested mandatory status before their HBO contract was out.
        hbo contracts differ but usually they are hbo rights of refusal types or hbo matching offer types.

i.e. you make a fight hbo can refuse and you can go to a different network. or you get a deal and hbo has choice to match.

being an hbo fighter doesn't mean you can't fight elsewhere if they let you.

if i was hbo i'd go another way. let kovalev fight stevenson on pbc. kov wins he's the man at 175 and he's on hbo and he just hurt pbc/sho guy.

but i understand why hbo did what it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
          hbo contracts differ but usually they are hbo rights of refusal types or hbo matching offer types.

i.e. you make a fight hbo can refuse and you can go to a different network. or you get a deal and hbo has choice to match.

being an hbo fighter doesn't mean you can't fight elsewhere if they let you.

if i was hbo i'd go another way. let kovalev fight stevenson on pbc. kov wins he's the man at 175 and he's on hbo and he just hurt pbc/sho guy.

but i understand why hbo did what it did.
          ... How many cash cows HBO still holds? I encounter some difficulties in remembering...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            ... How many cash cows HBO still holds? I encounter some difficulties in remembering...
            cotto, canelo, pac?

3 of the 4?

Comment

(Haymon just pretends he wants to pull Kovalev out of his HBO contract -- which he knows it's highly impossible... And then pretend that Kova is a duck of his duck.)
              Are you being serious?

Anyway, these network disputes are ridiculous. Can't they just split the goddamn money?

Comment

you know who's the next cash cow possibly?

terence crawford. big time backing from top rank and hbo.

got skills AND entertaining.

they'll build him up then make him a star with a pac fight.

remember they were talking about pac is going to 140 if no floyd?

terence is set to win a 140 belt.

i can see a pac fight next year or so.

beat an old pac. you got your next big name.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                  Are you being serious?

Anyway, these network disputes are ridiculous. Can't they just split the goddamn money?
                  It would have been easy for Haymon to replicate the Floyd-Pac formula (PPV on both Show and HBO)... He didn't want this. Why?... Can't they hype it and sell it big enough at venues such as Bell Centre or Pepsi in Quebec?...

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    I dont get it.

All those posters who lamely defended Stevensons duck of Kovalev by saying it was a binnisdecision, is now attacking Kovalev for making a binnisdecision.

Why are they not defending him in the same obnoxious manner?

Why the double standard?

I am not really a massive fan of either fighter, and quite frankly don't really put the blame on either fighter, taking the business and promoters to one side I feel they both genuinely believe they can knock the other one out. I also feel you are generally a fair and very good poster.

Having said all that...**** you and **** this thread. All I remember is people laying into Stevenson massively, completely over the top in fact. I think part of the reason is Stevenson's history not related to boxing, which is fair enough. But nothing but abuse of Stevenson being a duck in every thread that you would go into about the fight. Now it is more clear cut that in fact Kovalev and Duva have decided to go into a different direction (for now) and quite frankly I would still not call this a blatant duck, but as you say a business decision. It is more open and transparent to criticism though because of the more clear cut nature of purse bids.

The double standard I would say is more from a Kovalev point of view, he hasn't got half the abuse that Stevenson received on NSB. In fact most of it is aimed at Duva, which it kind of should be, but when it was Stevenson, the majority of it was aimed at the fighter and not so much the people around him. So I would say the double standard is there not the fact that the Kovalev camp is getting it now, which is justified.

Again I would stress this is the perspective of a neutral, I have no horse here. The only thing I have found confusing all along is how quickly people jumped on Stevenson in the situation, and how quickly people have decided to write Stevenson off in the fight as well. Kovalev has had a great year, but Stevenson in my opinion is still a step up, he is the other recognised champion in the division, and carrying a long unbeaten run with him even if his form has been slightly patchy recently. I think its a 6 round fight, and a 50/50 fight as a result, it is whoever lands the telling blows first. If by some freakish chance it goes past 6 then I would think Kovalev's consistency takes over.

Comment

When all else fails, just blame Haymon and pretend you know what you are talking about. Right?

Comment

Working...
                      X