Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soviet/Eastern European heavyweights dominating 60s/70s era? Myth Busted!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
    So Vitali/Wlad wouldn't beat anyone from the 60s/70s because the past boxing programs of their heritage were in their infancy in the 50s? Were they expected to dominate from day 1? Now the situations have reversed - American amateur boxing is weak, thus Americans have weaker HWs, while the amateur program of Ukraine is now producing some of the sports best prospects.
    It's posts like this that makes me question humanity.

Did you even read the OP?

It had nothing to do with today's climate.

Comment

I see Freedom is calling me a racist for this thread.

Instead of debating the issue he's resorting to womanly comments as per usual.

Freedom, your input is welcome here.

Comment

The Klitschkos and all their opponents wouldn't have lasted more than 5 rounds in that Era. Lennox Lewis would have lasted 10 rounds though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
          The Klitschkos and all their opponents wouldn't have lasted more than 5 rounds in that Era. Lennox Lewis would have lasted 10 rounds though.
          The point of this thread is not to compare today's heavyweights to then. Although one point has been made that Joe Frazier would never beat a modern sized heavyweight, so I just showed how he dealt with one then.

The point is that even if the Soviets were allowed to compete then, they still would have been dominated as is proven by the time they fought in the amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
            whatever helps you sleep at night.

Comment

Great thread. It's obvious to any honest person with a functioning brain that the alltime greats such as Ali, Foreman, Frazier etc were at the pinnacle of the sport during their time and the stiff robots they were destroying in the amateurs were not going to usurp their dominance over the pro HW boxing landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                The point of this thread is not to compare today's heavyweights to then. Although one point has been made that Joe Frazier would never beat a modern sized heavyweight, so I just showed how he dealt with one then.

The point is that even if the Soviets were allowed to compete then, they still would have been dominated as is proven by the time they fought in the amateurs.
                I am a fan of Ali, Frazier and i respect thaeir greatness, but I still disagree with you, to an extent at least.

If athlete from the ex Soviet Union were free to compete in the pro, they'd have been free to travel to the US and train there if they pleased.

As Ray explained, it was a technical disadvantage not a physical one. If soviet fighters received a different training the results in the pro might have been different as well.

Look how Steward managed to make WK succesful , a loss in the amateurs doesn't -prove- a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
                  I am a fan of Ali, Frazier and i respect thaeir greatness, but I still disagree with you, to an extent at least.

If athlete from the ex Soviet Union were free to compete in the pro, they'd have been free to travel to the US and train there if they pleased.

As Ray explained, it was a technical disadvantage not a physical one. If soviet fighters received a different training the results in the pro might have been different as well.

Look how Steward managed to make WK succesful , a loss in the amateurs doesn't -prove- a thing.
                  Sure that i agree with. That they could potentially be just as good, but we can we can only take what we've seen from how they fought at the time.

And if those guys fought in the pros, they would have been dealt with in a similar or worse manner as they were in the amateurs.

I completely disagree that it didn't mean much, because amateur boxing was so similar to pro boxing and they hardly even gave any of them a fight. So what in the world would they do in a pro ring?

Comment

Sure that i agree with. That they could potentially be just as good, but we can we can only take what we've seen from how they fought at the time.

And if those guys fought in the pros, they would have been dealt with in a similar or worse manner as they were in the amateurs.

I completely disagree that it didn't mean much, because amateur boxing was so similar to pro boxing and they hardly even gave any of them a fight. So what in the world would they do in a pro ring?
                    I won't argue with that , without a different training the result would most likely stay the same.

My point is that the key factor is not nationality , if somebody is good, disciplined and is working with a top trainer, results will come, whether the guy was born in Moscow or in NY.

Comment

It's posts like this that makes me question humanity.

Did you even read the OP?

It had nothing to do with today's climate.
                      Smdh. You made an entire thread to call attention to one poster. You could've done that in PM then.

Comment

Working...
                      X