Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soviet/Eastern European heavyweights dominating 60s/70s era? Myth Busted!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
    I won't argue with that , without a different training the result would most likely stay the same.

My point is that the key factor is not nationality , if somebody is good, disciplined and is working with a top trainer, results will come, whether the guy was born in Moscow or in NY.
    Of course.

I'm not saying that a Russian is less able to make a good boxer if they had the same training as any other nationality.

But that's not the point of the thread. The point is to expose the myth that if the soviet amateurs of the time would be allowed to fight in the pros, they would have dominated.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
      Smdh. You made an entire thread to call attention to one poster. You could've done that in PM then.
      did I?

I didn't know.

Broaden your horizon dear.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        did I?

I didn't know.

Broaden your horizon dear.
        Ok, honey pie.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          Anyway, I don't see how anyone can make a sound argument that these Soviet fighters would have dominated the 60s and 70s when they lost quite badly against very green versions of the three fighters.

What are your thoughts?
          Foreman would have destroyed both of the Klitschkos...

Comment

So much ownage lol let's see what elroy says

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              The USA fighters were taught to relax and be agressive when they could be. Don't be second be first with the jab and follow up quickly. Another words take the lead and back up the Russians because their best skill set was always moving up not back. You'll see most back up in a straight line and hardly ever step out or pivot. They simply had the "old" teachings from the stand up straight days of Willard.
              Sounds like you're describing Gennady Golovkin to a "T"...

Comment

This is just a fantasy, current Klitschkos toy with prime Ali, the size difference is too much.

Guys like Fraizer would get destroyed by the Pulev's around, "A good big man will always beat a good little man"

Ain't nothing changed it's just a nostalgic fantasy Americans (specifically AA's) like to cling onto, they were good for their time but currently there is no comparing these 6'4 plus beasts we have in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
                  So Vitali/Wlad wouldn't beat anyone from the 60s/70s because the past boxing programs of their heritage were in their infancy in the 50s? Were they expected to dominate from day 1? Now the situations have reversed - American amateur boxing is weak, thus Americans have weaker HWs, while the amateur program of Ukraine is now producing some of the sports best prospects.
                  How can the American amateur program be weak when the P4P #1 and #2 fighters in the world are both Americans?

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
                    How can the American amateur program be weak when the P4P #1 and #2 fighters in the world are both Americans?
                    The p4p ~2 is WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO
                    Followed by MANNY PACQUIAO

Comment

The history of pro-boxing would have been significantly altered, throughout the weight classes, if the Soviet (and Cuban) fighters had been able to turn pro.

Comment

Working...
                      X