Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Wilder turned down 10M for Povetkin.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This fight came out of nowhere. I want to see Wilder vs Fury or Wlad, not Povetkin. I woulda sworn Povetkin was nowhere near in the path of Wilder. Now, of course, a foreign fighter offers an undefeated American champion a fight, and all the fans go nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by jas View Post
      Why would he go to Russia?
      Smh

He will be on NBC and become a huge American star
      No, he should have took the $10 million. They can put him on NBC all they want, but he isn't going to become a big American Heavyweight star. If he is going to become a big American star, be is going have to become the next Mike Tyson. In other words, he is going to have to become an extremely aggressive fighter that goes out and brutally knocks people out within the first couple of rounds. He is going to have to be the beast that scares the hell out of the heavyweight division. I am sorry, but that is not Wilder. More then likely, Wilder will be the one that goes out and bores the hell out of the general public.

Comment

• In the year 2015 it is utterly unacceptable that an Amercian fighter can both hold a title AND refuse to fight a Euro for it. Otherwise you have no business holding the title!!

It should already be Wladimir's as he should have been the one to fight Stiverne for it initially and not Arreola at all.

THAT'S^^ where the problem was, long before Wilder even entered the picture.

Comment

• This is pathetic but it is to be expected. There really is no excuse for not taking this fight from Wilder's side. 10 mil is more than he would make fighting Fury, Wlad or anybody else. He's scared plain and simple.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            European fighters have milked world titles in their local regions for years. Look at Sturm, Abraham, Stieglitz, Braehmer, etc.

To some of you it has been perfectly ok when they do it but only now that an American might take a turn does it suddenly become a problem. That's hypocrisy at it's finest.

In any case Deontay is playing within the rules as long as he defends that title against the mandatory challenger within a certain period of time. Aside from that he is free to make money from the belt as he best sees fit.

If you want to change the current rules to make boxing better then I would support that. But until things change it is asinine to hold Wilder to a different standard than Euro world champions follow.
            I think the hypocrisy is in the Fat Yanks who always complain about those "European" fighters defending at home.

In most of those cases and others, the fighters have made the most money fighting at home. Sturm got a big offer to go to America and fight De La Hoya and he took it. Abraham went to America when he got a good offer to go in the Super Six.

Wilder has been offered an astronomical amount of money to travel so he should take it. It's pathetic that fans are supporting him turning it down because they are scared he will lose.

Let's not see good competitive fights, let's just keep the belt on our man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              European fighters have milked world titles in their local regions for years. Look at Sturm, Abraham, Stieglitz, Braehmer, etc.

To some of you it has been perfectly ok when they do it but only now that an American might take a turn does it suddenly become a problem. That's hypocrisy at it's finest.

In any case Deontay is playing within the rules as long as he defends that title against the mandatory challenger within a certain period of time. Aside from that he is free to make money from the belt as he best sees fit.

If you want to change the current rules to make boxing better then I would support that. But until things change it is asinine to hold Wilder to a different standard than Euro world champions follow.
              None of those euros has been offered 10 times their biggest purse. Thats where your argument fails.

Comment

• I think this topic is moot anyway. Finkel was speaking hypothetically when he stated the $10 million Povetkin fight. So, "No" Wilder didn't turn down $10 million to fight Povetkin because there was no offer in the first place

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  I think this topic is moot anyway. Finkel was speaking hypothetically when he stated the $10 million Povetkin fight. So, "No" Wilder didn't turn down $10 million to fight Povetkin because there was no offer in the first place
                  Lets us know 48 pages later

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                    I think this topic is moot anyway. Finkel was speaking hypothetically when he stated the $10 million Povetkin fight. So, "No" Wilder didn't turn down $10 million to fight Povetkin because there was no offer in the first place
                    The topic isn't moot because the reaction from certain people in here is staggering.

Comment

• I think it shows that him team are confident in him becoming a huge star and reigning for a long time(not my personal opinion but obviously theres) if they think Wilder isn't going to be around for long they'd cash grab this fight but instead they'd rather not go to a europeans backyard and for good reason,look at the refs in Wlads fights and so fourth,you're the champ you deserve to fight at home

They must think they're going to make more than 10 mil in wilders reign,personally if I was his manager I would cash grab this deal though,can't see Wilder making big waves for long unless he continues to fight cans

Comment

Working...
                      X