Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would defeating Margarito have done anything for Mayweathers legacy in retrospect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
    But the whole point is that his entire resume comes under question. So Margarito potentially may have not been much of a fighter, or an overhyped via cheating, during his peak. So a win over him, in hindsight, would mean little to nothing today.
    Margarito as a fighter wasn't even that much of a puncher. Punching power wasn't even what made him good.

Even if we accept the ridiculous idea that he loaded his gloves in every single fight of his career. He still had attributes outside of punching power that made him a formidable advisory and a potentially tough fight for Mayweather. Size, stamina, relentelessness, volume, chin, toughness.

If Mayweather had discovered his supposed loaded wraps before a fight, would it then automatically be an easy fight for Floyd?
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler UK; 01-26-2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Oh my god. Can you imagine if he did not fight Judah? People here would be having a field day, saying that he always avoided fast southpaws and is afraid of southpaws.
      Judah was coming off a loss to Carlos Baldomir. I mean, yeah maybe if he'd re-established himself, it would be a fight to make in the future.

Comment

Okay, but that is just one single fighter. With Floyd, people name numerous fighters that they claim he ducked. Today, it's Amir Khan, Pacquaio, GGG, Lara, and more recently Martinez until Cotto decimated him. If Floyd chose Khan to fight instead of Maidana, people here would have say he ducked Maidana.

Before the Guerrero fight was announced, when Floyd tweeted he was looking at Alexander, I remember numerous posters claiming that Floyd was ducking Guerrero.
        well he could have fought both since he fought maidana twice for some reason. neither guy was considered a good fight but khan would have made him a lot more money so its strange he didn't fight him. is he not money mayweather anymore?

but that's the old switch-a-roo. throw out a crappy name and then fight a slightly better fighter. his goal is to keep expectations low so when he does fight a guy like guerrero it seems like a challenge when its really not.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
          well he could have fought both since he fought maidana twice for some reason. neither guy was considered a good fight but khan would have made him a lot more money so its strange he didn't fight him. is he not money mayweather anymore?

but that's the old switch-a-roo. throw out a crappy name and then fight a slightly better fighter. his goal is to keep expectations low so when he does fight a guy like guerrero it seems like a challenge when its really not.
          Amir Khan wasn't available back in September -- Ramadan. Forgetful?

Comment

Oh my god. Can you imagine if he did not fight Judah? People here would be having a field day, saying that he always avoided fast southpaws and is afraid of southpaws.
            no i can't imagine that because judah just lost to a bum. why would they say that? also the judah fight is probably the reason why we didn't get pac-floyd. if floyd had never gotten beat up by judah he might have taken the pac fight but now he knows he can't handle fast southpaws so he stays away and he also knows pac isn't going to stop throwing punches after 4 rounds.

Comment

Amir Khan wasn't available back in September -- Ramadan. Forgetful?
              but he was in may. he couldn't switch the order and fight khan the bigger fight first? he had to leave himself with less options? great business man indeed

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                Judah was coming off a loss to Carlos Baldomir. I mean, yeah maybe if he'd re-established himself, it would be a fight to make in the future.
                Yes, we know this. I'm just saying that I can pretty much guarantee, had he not fought Judah, people here would say he 'ducked' him, despite it being illogical and foolish. Saying he avoids southpaws and fast ones. That's what people do here. They already use Judah as a prime excuse as to why Floyd is 'scared' of Pacquaio.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  but he was in may. he couldn't switch the order and fight khan the bigger fight first? he had to leave himself with less options? great business man indeed
                  Yes, but he fought Maidana instead. At that time, many were against a Khan bout. Including many of this forum.

Comment

Even after he loss to Baldomir, Judah fighting Floyd was still a highly anticipated fight that everyone wanted to see. Also the contract was already signed.

Comment

Margarito as a fighter wasn't even that much of a puncher. Punching power wasn't even what made him good.

Even if we accept the ridiculous idea that he loaded his gloves in every single fight of his career. He still had attributes outside of punching power that made him a formidable advisory and a potentially tough fight for Mayweather. Size, stamina, relentelessness, volume, chin, toughness.

If Mayweather had discovered his supposed loaded wraps before a fight, would it then automatically be an easy fight for Floyd?
                      We'll never know, we'll never know to what extent he took his cheating to also. It's a big question mark over his legacy. Getting caught cheating is the worst! It taints everything. I remember someone saying, a reputation takes years to build, but can be destroyed entirely in a matter of minutes. That's what happened with Margarito. We'll never know man.

Comment

Working...
                      X