Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would defeating Margarito have done anything for Mayweathers legacy in retrospect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Horus View Post
    Here you go...
    You posted threads history of Floyd mentioning ducking/fighting/beating etc of Vivian Harris, Hatton. Zab Judah, Dela hoya, Baldomir. Gatti.

Could you also post thread history of Floyd mentioning ducking/ducking and ducking of Paul Williams, Margarito, Tzyu, Martinez, and maybe you could add Pac just in case he duck him too.

Thanks

Comment

Here you go...
      Whoa!!! Horus.

I wasn't on BoxingScene back then...but people were really saying Mayweather was ducking Baldomir and Judah??

Comment

Here you go...
        Wow, I just went back and read the Judah thread from 2005 and man this place has obviously changed for the worst. it was good boxing talk through the whole thread, now all you see here is name calling and references to gay activities. Like i wonder if most people who post here are true boxing fans. For instance, i wonder how many will be watching boxing on FoxSports tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by smoothsmg View Post
          Wow, I just went back and read the Judah thread from 2005 and man this place has obviously changed for the worst. it was good boxing talk through the whole thread, now all you see here is name calling and references to gay activities. Like i wonder if most people who post here are true boxing fans. For instance, i wonder how many will be watching boxing on FoxSports tonight.
          The members in the rbr threads on fight night are the real fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by the reed***8482;
            flippin boats, son.

You were right all along.

Comment

Here you go...
              Yooooooooo! That was epic! Saving this.

Comment

• Originally posted by smoothsmg View Post
                You obviously was not paying attention back then.
                No you're right. The fight the world wanted to see was The P4P King versus a guy who'd just lost to Carlos Baldomir.

Comment

Lol @reed and El Blanco. "The good old days"

I miss those days. We had stronger calibur of posters back then.
                  Now the forum seems watered down.

I just wanted a friendly sparring match .. I couldn't even get that today.

Comment

• Two issues:

• Yes, because of Margarito AT THAT TIME as a feared fighter
                    • Yes, ducking anyone is not good for legacy

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      Looking back I just don't see how a win over him would enhance his already considerable resume....the fight was being considered between 2006-2008 and before Mayweather retired, Margarito had already lost to Paul Williams, and Daniel Santos who are no where near floyds league

to add to this only held the WBO title and that's not much incentive when at the time Mayweather had won lineal titles at 3/4 weight classes he competed in.

His biggest win didn't come until Mayweather retired when he beat Cotto

All in all Margarito was never a great fighter, he did notch some good wins but this boogeyman that Floyd avoided isn't what I see.

Just another fighter who gained hype because his promoter kept bring up Mayweather's name

in retrospect, Is a win over Margarito more meaningful than wins over Jose Luis Castillo, Diego Corrales, Shane Mosley, Genaro Hernandez, Canelo Alvarez, Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, or Cotto?
                      Have you ever been bullied? Do you remember that one kid in school that everyone was afraid to fight? The guy that took everyone's lunch money and when he walked by everyone shut up....If so then you know how Margarito was thought of at the time......The Tijuana Tornado was just that!!! NON STOP PRESSURE punches from all angles......He may not be HOFer but at that time he was unstoppable....He had the style, the endurance, the chin and the heart to keep coming for 12 rounds and throw over 1000 punches. If you watched him you would have been scared for Floyd.

Floyd waited almost 16 months after Mosely beat Margarito to fight him and if you watch that right hand that landed almost crippled him from a 39 year old Mosely.

Floyd barely beat Oscar who at that point in his career was having trouble besting Steve Forbes he was too busy sniffing coke and dressing in fish nets

Floyd took on Hatton who was not allowed to fight on the inside by Joe Cortez which was Hatton's whole game when he fought. Floyd elbowed his way to a check hook win. To me besting a true WW a big WW in Margarito would be much more impressive than this win.

Styles make fights and if you are a boxing fan you know that TONY had the style needed to give Floyd sweats in bed.

Comment

Working...
                      X