Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Roy Jones who fought at HW have done against past small Heavies?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i give him a good shot to win by decision vs all of those guys

honestly

but he could lose

its hard to say

with ali he would have faced a guy with as fast as hands as he had but not faster feet. the thing is with ali vs jones, if jones made ali fight on the front foot, it would play against the way ali liked the fight

either way, i dont see any of the fights being action packed

joe louis could be outboxed but obviously at heavyweight jones is not going to be as quick and athletic . if he got caught by a joe louis right hand it could be curtains

roy would fight it surprisingly difficult to catch frazier. joe had an underrated defence but he was suspectible for an uppercut. roys fav punch was the left hook, never rly seen him utilise the uppercut, i think joe mows down roy to the point that roy doesnt take enough risks to win the fight
    Last edited by jas; 01-24-2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
      Joe Frazier would have torn Roy a new one .
      Beat me to it ...I instantly thought of Smoking Joe as soon as I read the thread title. Frazier wasn't a big heavy ...but he threw that hook like one .

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
        i give him a good shot to win by decision vs all of those guys

honestly

but he could lose

its hard to say

with ali he would have faced a guy with as fast as hands as he had but not faster feet. the thing is with ali vs jones, if jones made ali fight on the front foot, it would play against the way ali liked the fight

either way, i dont see any of the fights being action packed

joe louis could be outboxed but obviously at heavyweight jones is not going to be as quick and athletic . if he got caught by a joe louis right hand it could be curtains

roy would fight it surprisingly difficult to catch frazier. joe had an underrated defence but he was suspectible for an uppercut. roys fav punch was the left hook, never rly seen him utilise the uppercut, i think joe mows down roy to the point that roy doesnt take enough risks to win the fight
        Ali did a lot of damage coming forward...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          In his real prime Frazier brought tremendous pressure. No way a former middleweight holds up to it. If you don't believe me, watch some of Joe's fight from the late 1960's. He'd walk right through Roy Jones.
          Roy would get knocked out just as violently as Bob Foster did. Jones wouldn't belong in the ring with Frazier and had nothing to hold him off.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            Roy would get knocked out just as violently as Bob Foster did. Jones wouldn't belong in the ring with Frazier and had nothing to hold him off.
            I've never met either of them, but I have been just a few feet away from both of them. And Frazier was a considerably bigger man. The numbers don't always tell the true story when it comes to size.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              I've never met either of them, but I have been just a few feet away from both of them. And Frazier was a considerably bigger man. The numbers don't always tell the true story when it comes to size.

Yes and from everything I've read Frazier trained down to his fighting weight but walked around much heavier. I don't consider Frazier and Jones comparable in size by a long shot.

Comment

I'd put him in with the heavyweights 205 and under like a young Holyfield, Joe Frazier, Rocky Marciano, Chris Byrd, Floyd Patterson, etc.

Frazier was just too big strong and had to much stamina once he got smoking

Holyfield would punch with him and drop him a few times and win on a tko or get outboxed and outfoxed...he'd have to make it a dog fight

Marciano has a punchers chance but Jones would toy with him IMO

Byrd would have been very interesting to me

he'd have faired well but lost to the very best.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  Ali did a lot of damage coming forward...
                  Ali didn't like to fight on the front foot especially later on in his career

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                    Ali didn't like to fight on the front foot especially later on in his career
                    Actually Ali fought more on the front foot in the 70's than he did in his prime.

He also did it effectively. Watch his fights with Joe Bugner, Mac Foster, Bob Foster, Al blue Lewis and second fight with Jerry Quarry.

It's a myth that Ali just backed up and moved all the time.
                    Last edited by joseph5620; 01-24-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Jones might have beat Patterson but the others were just a bit too hard hitting for Jones who didn't have the best chin even at 175. He would probably have won some rounds but in a 15 round fight I think they would all knock Jones out. Jones was a great light heavyweight but those are great heavyweights even if they weren't much bigger than Roy. Ali was always over 200 pounds and Louis was around 200 pounds and very lean so they were bigger than Roy. Marciano was the same size as Roy and not nearly as fast or skillful but his chin, punch and stamina was so great.

Comment

Working...
                      X