Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Roy Jones who fought at HW have done against past small Heavies?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would Roy Jones who fought at HW have done against past small Heavies?

Jack Dempsey
    Joe Louis
    Muhammad Ali
    Floyd Patterson
    Rocky Marciano

Post and discuss

Joe Frazier would have torn Roy a new one .

Comment

Roy is unbeatable in his prime, would KO ali and tyson on the same night with the same punch.

Comment

There's no reason he couldn't have done very well against those guys.

Size difference much less of a barrier than now and at least as much natural talent as most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
          Joe Frazier would have torn Roy a new one .
          Of all the old heavies Frazier would be my last pick to be Roy. Slow, predictable, the definition of flat footed, not much bigger unless you count chub.

"Rugged" but that doesn't mean much when you get his with stuff you never see coming. Roy dodging deliberate looping hooks and making Joe look stupid.

Comment

Keep Ali and Louis out of the discussion..

I think Patterson could stop Jones. The peek-a-boo style would frustrate Jones, wouldn't give him a stationary target and he would be pressuring Jones with the movement.

Next fight I'd like to see is against Marciano. The crouch style brings something new and Jones will be throwing at a man who outboxed old scientists and can take a punch.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sFighter View Post
              There's no reason he couldn't have done very well against those guys.

Size difference much less of a barrier than now and at least as much natural talent as most of them.
              I don't know, John Ruiz stunned him at the end of the first round in their fight and you could time Ruiz's shots with a sun dial in their fight. I'm not sure he could take a huge punchers power. Plus his board nickname is Roid Jones so how big would he be clean?

Comment

Of all the old heavies Frazier would be my last pick to be Roy. Slow, predictable, the definition of flat footed, not much bigger unless you count chub.

"Rugged" but that doesn't mean much when you get his with stuff you never see coming. Roy dodging deliberate looping hooks and making Joe look stupid.
                Relentless for 12 rnds , fast hands and lots of power he would be chasing Roy out of the ring like a mad man , Roy chose Ruiz for a reason , Ruiz would not go 3 rounds with prime Frazier .

The bigger fast HWs like Ali would hurt Roy , the Ruiz fight was taken because Ruiz is a bum and very slow , the top HWs would be just to powerful for Roy .
                You can play the weight game with average guys .

Comment

In his real prime Frazier brought tremendous pressure. No way a former middleweight holds up to it. If you don't believe me, watch some of Joe's fight from the late 1960's. He'd walk right through Roy Jones.

Comment

I would have voted a prime Roy for president.

Comment

Working...
                    X