Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Manny Pacquiao hitting it right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's seem that he is pulling back his punches not like before, before he throws it with bad intentions and then he got clocked big time. So now he is more reserve while throwing his punches. Plus before he used to fight guys that are willing to trade with him and about his same size. After Cotto he start fighting bigger guys with good chin and boxers that moved a lot hence the drop of his KO ratio.

Comment

He's a lot smarter now and have added more in his repertoire....he used to rely strictly with his LEFT CROSS but Freddie Roach have developed his RIGHT HOOKS, RIGHT UPPER CUTS and the way he pivots inorder to give more punches in a flurry and in different angles.

To summarize it, Pacquiao now has more weapons in his arsenal and doesn't need to pull off his patented LEFT as much. His footworks now have a dizzying plethora of lateral movements and his pivoting to the outside of the jabs are more emphasized.

Much like Michael Jordan in his rookie years wherein he would rely most on his DUNKS and LAYUPS but as time goes on, he gets older and a bit slower and opponents able to adjust and not much of a surprise anymore, he developed his FADE AWAYS, JUMP SHOTS and OUTSIDE GAME.

So now, we all have the videos to study him. Opponents are now BIGGER (as he moved up in the weight ladder) and now he has to rely more on his agility and set up for the big punches from his entry-points. Not all of his punches are for the K.O. but to set up for more punches in a flurry inorder to set up the big punches once the opponent opens up.

For example against Clottey in his turtle-shell-defense - Pacquiao can't just unload or he would get tired. He would punch Clottey's gloves in bunches (and not much power) to get a reaction and thereby opening up to go for the big shots.

In short, Pacquiao now can play CHESS and with more STRATEGY into his game rather than just mowing his opponents down wherein that would take too much energy. He is not getting any younger and while he still have superlative stamina, superb conditioning and all - one can tell that he is getting slower but compensating with more boxing skills and head movements with his footworks.

If anything, much kudos to Freddie Roach in transcending Pacquiao's game as they transition to higher-weight classes, bigger opponents and aging beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
        I've seen jinkie on a few occasions and.....just joking.
        lmfao hahaha

Comment

He is way more reserved now. After the Marquez KO, he's been commenting about not wanting to "get careless" when looking for the KO, so he doesn't really commit. He said this with ALGIERI who has very little punching power. Manny doesn't want to pull the trigger anymore. I think the move down to 140 might give him more confidence but I'm still not convinced. It's more of a mental thing.

Comment

Pacquiao isn't some devastating KO artist at WW. I never understood where people got that. He certainly hits hard enough to hurt and take some fighters out though.

Comment

Originally posted by pickpocket View Post
              He is way more reserved now. After the Marquez KO, he's been commenting about not wanting to "get careless" when looking for the KO, so he doesn't really commit. He said this with ALGIERI who has very little punching power. Manny doesn't want to pull the trigger anymore. I think the move down to 140 might give him more confidence but I'm still not convinced. It's more of a mental thing.
              When you're clearly shutting out an opponent, I guess it isn't worth the risk. Manny learned that. Against Rios,...he knew he was shutting him out...So what's the point to risk getting careless against a big puncher.

Against Algieri, I didn't see him back off. He was still throwing hard; he just couldn't get Algieri to stand still for very long to knock him out.

If it's a close fight with back and forth action, I think it's a different story.

That's why we need to see Mayweather vs PAC. It'll bring out something extra out of both fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
                I've seen jinkie on a few occasions and.....just joking. I'm pretty sure you were thinking that with the thread title. Anyway, Manny hasn't had a KO since 2009. He has the power to KO people but he doesn't do it. My theory is maybe he's not fully committing to the punches when he is throwing because he truly doesn't want to hurt people too bad since he is really religious. I mean, he did end margarito's career and we all know it. I know it's hard to judge this theory but also maybe he isn't targeting the sensitive areas often like the side of the temple or the jaw or even the tip of the nose. I mean who really knows. I'm sure a lot of people are going to claim steroids with no evidence to back up their claim but those are haters for you. Anyway, what is your theory for Manny not knocking people out anymore?
                he's what on his 8th or 9th weight class???

the fact that he's even competing at welterweight is crazy. also has a lot to do with his opponents and their history of just not getting KTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Strategic1 View Post
                  When you're clearly shutting out an opponent, I guess it isn't worth the risk. Manny learned that. Against Rios,...he knew he was shutting him out...So what's the point to risk getting careless against a big puncher.

Against Algieri, I didn't see him back off. He was still throwing hard; he just couldn't get Algieri to stand still for very long to knock him out.

If it's a close fight with back and forth action, I think it's a different story.

That's why we need to see Mayweather vs PAC. It'll bring out something extra out of both fighters.
                  I agree with you on that one. Manny will be a different animal once May is in front of him. One thing for sure, once he hurt May he won't let up guarantee on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolopunch68 View Post
                    I agree with you on that one. Manny will be a different animal once May is in front of him. One thing for sure, once he hurt May he won't let up guarantee on it.
                    of course Manny will be a different animal...so would Mayweather be. He will be extra cautious and ever so "defensive"....

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
                      he's what on his 8th or 9th weight class???

the fact that he's even competing at welterweight is crazy. also has a lot to do with his opponents and their history of just not getting KTFO.
                      Yeah, I can see that. Some guys were tough to KO but the Algieri thing made me believe my theory. He did drop him a lot but he needed to get him out of there and he could have but didnt. That's why my theory of him not wanting to hurt people came into the forefront.

Comment

Working...
                      X