Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sulaiman: Golovkin-Rubio Winner in Line For Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy this is happening, means GGG will finally get his long awaited shot at the lineal title.

Might have been through a title mess in the progress but what can you do when he is hunting every legit contender in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman has confirmed that Marco Antonio Rubio's WBC interim-middleweight title will be at stake when he faces on WBA/IBO champion Gennady Golovkin (30-0, 27KOs) on October 18th at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

Rubio (59-6-1, 51KOs) is the mandatory challenger to full champion Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32KOs), who captured the belt in June with ten round TKO win over Sergio Martinez. Sulaiman says the winner of Golovkin-Rubio would become the mandatory for Cotto.
      [Click Here To Read More]
      I see the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Sillyman Jr is full of ****. How the can champion of the WBA and IBO be the *mandatory* challenger for the WBC title?

I call BS...

Comment

Originally posted by wiz1030 View Post
        You will not see that fight. GGG beats Rubio, and Cotto will vacate the MW title.
        Cotto won't fight canelo. If GBP and Top Rank were getting along, a fight between two of their fighters would have been made by now. When everyone said Donaire would fight Mares, I was saying that Rigondeaux would end up getting the fight and would end up beating Donaire as well. Same thing with this but GGG isn't promoted by TR, Cotto I believe is considered a free agent but seems to be siding with Arum. And this is where the Networks come in, GBP is mainly showtime, and Mayweather and Canelo have Exclusive contracts with Showtime. Top Rank and HBO are together. Cotto I believe is not exclusive to a network but if he is riding with Arum, he is HBO and If he isn't then he has no Choice but to fight Canelo on Showtime who is I believe under contract. GGG is I believe to be HBO Exclusive at this moment. If the networks are what is preventing Canelo vs Cotto from happening then HBO Arum Cotto fights HBO K2 GGG.

Comment

It seems Cotto-Canelo is already penciled in for if they both win their next fights. 0% chance the WBC tries to block that by getting Cotto to fight Golovkin, they won't want to miss out on those sanctioning fees. Maybe they'll make one diamond champ, one titanium champ, something like that.

People are saying Cotto will vacate, and maybe that 's true. But if it isn't we'll see the WBC hold a 'special general board meeting' after which they'll announce that the mandatory can wait a while longer, as they've done many times before.

Comment

Golovkin holding a piece of the WBC title along with the WBA title is no different than Carl Froch holding the IBF and WBA regular title under Andre Ward. Nor would it be any different than the if Danny Jaccobs unified with Peter Quillin.

Personally I don't want to see Cotto vs Golovkin, it's a very one-sided fight. The WBC will probably allow Cotto to exist for a period of time as a seperate champion such as they did with Sergio Martinez when Chavez Jr. held a piece of the WBC, and other champions like Kostya Tyzu and Vitali Klitschko. Really this likely sets up Golovkin vs Alvarez in another 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi007 View Post
              It isn't going to happen. Cotto is going to take a stay busy fight then vacate the belt to fight Canelo for big money.
              This.Canelo don't want that 160 belt either.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                Cotto will get just as big of a payday against GGG then with Canelo.
                Not even close. Cotto Canelo is the second biggest fight that can be made in all of boxing right behind Mayweather Pacquiao.

Stop smoking the crack...

Comment

Golovkin, a title holder, fighting a mandatory title challenger to become a mandatory title challenger.

What has boxing come to?

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                    Golovkin, a title holder, fighting a mandatory title challenger to become a mandatory title challenger.

What has boxing come to?
                    This is what happens when the best fighter in a division can't get a shot at the championship. I don't care the reason, I'm glad this will force whoever holds that fake ass belt to fight Golovkin or drop the belt so he can win it against someone else.

Comment

The WBC can forget their plan. Cotto vs alvarez is the fight. No way either of them will fight GGG anyway. Golovkin put some serious hurt on alva with head gear. And cotto is just to small. All boxing roads lead to floyd mayweather and he is'nt getting in there with GGG neither.

Comment

Working...
                      X