No announcement yet.

Ali fought the best?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
    Foreman's record up to the point where he fought Ali was not THAT extensive. The mere fact he was the Olympic gold medallist speaks volumes about the quality of the era since George Foreman of those days and his pro prime could barely even box! His only recourse is that he was bigger and more powerful than everybody else..

Alvarez is lb for lb more powerful and stronger (obviously) than Foreman, he is far more athletic, a completely well rounded boxer with many times the level of skills of George.

Alvarez's opponent might not be top notch overall but considering the subset of pre-Ali Foreman fights, Alvarez's opponents are so much better than the melon heads that George Foreman knocked out as to make your comment simply laughable.

It's no secret that Foreman fought one of the most mismatched and cushie runs of opponents up to Ali of any HW boxer, let alone any elite modern limit weight fighter!

Quality of opposition indeed! I'll assume you were joking there.

I've read a lot of crappy posts on here through the years and this has got to be one of the worst posts I've encountered. I'm really hoping this guy is trolling.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather has outright ducked Pacquiao, basically admitted it, nobody would seriously argue that without blushing.

That aside, who the hell are these "better opponents" Floyd should have fought instead? I think he's captured basically all of them, albeit the "timing" of those fights was very "fortunate" for him LOL.

But nowhere do we see such luminary opponents like Cleveland Williams, Ernie Terrell, Zora Folley, Chuck Wepner, Earnie Shavers etc.

Floyd is not even ALLOWED to fight opponents as weak as that!
      Well first - even though this was a Ali and Floyd thread - when I was talking about the fact that boxing has been hurt by top fighters not facing each other I was talking about the whole sport. Too ofter there are belt holders who have a belt for years and never fight other belt holders - each claiming contract disputes or money.

Let's say that Floyd has always been concerned about his legacy. Let's say the decision in the first Castillo fight went against him and then Floyd wanted to prove he was the best and went out of his way to prove his legacy do you think that

a) he would have fought more (clearing out divisions - meaning some easy fights in the mix)
      b) fought some tough opponents that he - for whatever reason - never fought?

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
        Well first - even though this was a Ali and Floyd thread - when I was talking about the fact that boxing has been hurt by top fighters not facing each other I was talking about the whole sport. Too ofter there are belt holders who have a belt for years and never fight other belt holders - each claiming contract disputes or money.

Let's say that Floyd has always been concerned about his legacy. Let's say the decision in the first Castillo fight went against him and then Floyd wanted to prove he was the best and went out of his way to prove his legacy do you think that

a) he would have fought more (clearing out divisions - meaning some easy fights in the mix)
        b) fought some tough opponents that he - for whatever reason - never fought?
        Ill regard everything written by the ******s above you since they bring nothing fresh, just blind dismissal or, agenda driven or delusional garbage.

For you however, YES of course, if he were not protecting his precious "0" anymore, of course he'd fight more and seek to prove himself more, he would have had too. And I would have LOVED to see him lose as I still do, I am disgusted by Mayweather personally almost as much as by Akli, they were 2 of the most disgraceful guys in the sport!

Fact is it's a business and being the unbeaten bad guy gives him his marketability. Pac on the other hand has loss several times but his personality, and his crushing style earned him the love and respect of fans. Floyd on the other hand would be damaged greatly by losing the 0 because he is mostly hated.

But I can also see it that there has always been great pressure for Floyd to remain unbeaten. And it cannot be said that Floyd ducked the best fighters, he did fight MOST of them except for Pac), Ali never rematched Foreman and fixed atleast the 2nd Liston fight if not more.

It's not Ali's fault that he didn't fight many decent opponents but truth be told it was a very weak era over all and there wasn't really much talent around.

Credit for Ali that he was more courageous than Floyd seemingly but then again Ali's entire career was based on struggling to beat his opponents. Floyd's is based on dominance. Ali was a messy fighter who was lucky at times and gifted often. Floyd for the most part shut down and outclassed some of the most skilful and elite athletes ever to lace up a pair of gloves with the added pressure to remain unbeaten. That's nothing to be taken lightly my friend. Even I would admit that.

Comment

Originally posted by leathernvouges View Post
          There has been a lot of Floyd bashers out there that claims that Floyd isn't the best because he dodged a lot of prime fighters (I'm 1 of them) and they always say a guy like Ali fought the best but, Ali fought the best because the best brought the best money if Ali could have fought weaker opponents for 5-10 mil a fight he might not have ever fought foreman, Frazier ect. So when u see Floyd getting $30 mil+ for whoever he fights how can u blame him.
          You are a prime fighter that Floyd dodged?

Comment

Originally posted by RlCKY View Post
            You are a prime fighter that Floyd dodged?

i told floyd in vegas that i'd go 60/40 to the winner. catchweight of 199 lbs. i'm good for it.

dude stays ducking.

Comment

Floyd ducked Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                Floyd ducked Hopkins.

hopkins ducked me. i told him at barclays that i'd knock him out. asked him to take a PED test, too, and he swung at me. i rolled that sh#T and called him a hoe.

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
                  You're doing quite a job schooling these guys.

Another thing people tend to neglect is that Mayweather for more than a decade now has been consistently (minus the Marquez fight) outweighed by his opponents by as much as 10+ lbs or higher. It is rare he's not outweighed by his opponents by anything less than 10 lbs these days. He's consistently beating bigger guys, and the only other guy that has also done this is Pacquaio.

Another point the cheerleaders don't bring up is the state of Ali's health today. They praise him for always 'fighting the best', but is his health the best today? His health has been bad for quite sometime, and he wishes he could have done things differently in choosing fights. Even George Foreman said if he could go back in time, he wouldn't have fought Ali.
                  I think that you are drinking Floyd's KoolAid videos (interviews)!

Weight has nothing to do with "real threat" or "real risk".

Go check out every poll out there if Floyd was the underdog going into a fight or close to even like lets say when Ali fought Foreman or Liston?

Comment

they both fought good opponents, do u guys think boxing is an easy sport to be good at? these guys are ranked boxers fighting at a high level... the only guy you can legitimatly say floyd hasnt fought is Pac, stop with that Margarito/ Paul williams ducking crap please just stop! Ali fought alot of bums too and had alot of controversey wins as well but its never brought up

Comment

Ill regard everything written by the ******s above you since they bring nothing fresh, just blind dismissal or, agenda driven or delusional garbage.

For you however, YES of course, if he were not protecting his precious "0" anymore, of course he'd fight more and seek to prove himself more, he would have had too. And I would have LOVED to see him lose as I still do, I am disgusted by Mayweather personally almost as much as by Akli, they were 2 of the most disgraceful guys in the sport!

Fact is it's a business and being the unbeaten bad guy gives him his marketability. Pac on the other hand has loss several times but his personality, and his crushing style earned him the love and respect of fans. Floyd on the other hand would be damaged greatly by losing the 0 because he is mostly hated.

But I can also see it that there has always been great pressure for Floyd to remain unbeaten. And it cannot be said that Floyd ducked the best fighters, he did fight MOST of them except for Pac), Ali never rematched Foreman and fixed atleast the 2nd Liston fight if not more.

It's not Ali's fault that he didn't fight many decent opponents but truth be told it was a very weak era over all and there wasn't really much talent around.

Credit for Ali that he was more courageous than Floyd seemingly but then again Ali's entire career was based on struggling to beat his opponents. Floyd's is based on dominance. Ali was a messy fighter who was lucky at times and gifted often. Floyd for the most part shut down and outclassed some of the most skilful and elite athletes ever to lace up a pair of gloves with the added pressure to remain unbeaten. That's nothing to be taken lightly my friend. Even I would admit that.
                      how are you still not in the red?

Comment

Working...
                      X