No announcement yet.

Was Rewatching Rd 10 Of Maidana vs May to See Maidana Counter Mays Pull Counter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
    It didn't need to be mentioned, nothing really happened there. Also, Cotto's jab snapped Mayweather's head back on more than one occasion.
    Puzzling logic.. Have you ever been hit high on the chest like that? It can have effect... barring personal experience.. several old time trainers tout the merit of hitting a fighter in their heart and sternum area..

At the very least it was a scoring punch that made May reset.. so why not mention it?

Further.. Cotto's jab is one of his strongest punches.. barring the hook. He's a lefty in orthodox... don't really remember Floyd's head snapping dramatically back. He did get a bloody nose but eh...

Maidana didn't win neither of the last two rounds, after the body attack he sustained in the 10th he didn't have much of anything left, this is why he resorted to spoiling to kill Mayweather's offense which actually worked, still it wasn't enough. That's pretty clear to see.
    I saw May doing the most holding and spoiling in the 12th.

Comment

Last time it looked it's best was against Hatton, hasn't looked that good since. Mayweather caught Maidana with it cleanly in the 4th round about 4-5 times, I was surprised Maidana wasn't stunned by it. That's gotta be his key punch, Maidana doesn't square up at all to the straight right or I should say didn't, he knows how to minimize Mayweather's straight so Mayweather needs to find the left hook if he wants to do serious damage.
      Agreed. And find a way to hurt Maidana which I don't think he really did in that first fight, which should be alarming to his team. Floyd's in tough here.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
        Puzzling logic.. Have you ever been hit high on the chest like that? It can have effect... barring personal experience.. several old time trainers tout the merit of hitting a fighter in their heart and sternum area..

At the very least it was a scoring punch that made May reset.. so why not mention it?

Further.. Cotto's jab is one of his strongest punches.. barring the hook. He's a lefty in orthodox... don't really remember Floyd's head snapping dramatically back. He did get a bloody nose but eh...

I saw May doing the most holding and spoiling in the 12th.
        Syf, subjective man, if I was one of the commentators I'd find it difficult to react to that. I don't know how effective it was, it was good enough to make him reset but that's not rare in boxing. What's rare is that Mayweather usually never finds himself in that situation.

It did, Mayweather was visibly bothered by Cotto's jab, so much so he struggled to put up a front. Maybe not dramatic but it happened in the middle of Mayweather's offense, stiffs jabs he never saw coming.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
          .... but you also said that this fight was not even close but it was!

Maidana did better than you think or are saying. That is why there is a rematch!

Even Showtime commentators thought so as they agreed that the 114-114 score was the most realistic of the 3 judges. If my memory is correct, they criticized the other 2 judges scores.

I can see one of these 3 scores: 7-5, 6-6, 5-7. Even though I thought Maidana did enough in the first half of the fight to win this one ..... mind you, I only saw the full fight once live and the first 5 rounds twice . I will need to rewatch it again and see if I think differently .....
          I understand that and I was with them. It's actually an easy fight to score with the exception of the 3rd round which many are split on.

Comment

Last time it looked it's best was against Hatton, hasn't looked that good since. Mayweather caught Maidana with it cleanly in the 4th round about 4-5 times, I was surprised Maidana wasn't stunned by it. That's gotta be his key punch, Maidana doesn't square up at all to the straight right or I should say didn't, he knows how to minimize Mayweather's straight so Mayweather needs to find the left hook if he wants to do serious damage.
            Maidana did an excellent job of awkwardly bending his waist/head to the right to avoid Mayweather's lead right.

Mayweather relies on that punch as of late and doesn't use the whipping left as much, it's amazing Maidana is the first fighter in donkeys years to somewhat take that punch away.

Comment

Syf, subjective man
              Ain't that the truth.

Trade out May getting his head snapped back a few times with May getting his ribs cracked and head snapped to the side and we have a good summation of Maidana's work on the ropes.

The fact that he was able to counter a pull counter, and land jabs and overhand rights in the center of the ring is just icing on the cake.

Yall was speaking up May's hook.. conversely.. I also want Maidana to make more use of HIS hook. It can be cranked tight or delivered long.

Comment

Originally posted by Booty Dew View Post
                Maidana did an excellent job of awkwardly bending his waist/head to the right to avoid Mayweather's lead right.

Mayweather relies on that punch as of late and doesn't use the whipping left as much, it's amazing Maidana is the first fighter in donkeys years to somewhat take that punch away.
                At times it looked like Mayweather was punching Bozo the clown, Maidana came defensively ready. Lets see if Maidana can work on a Louis-like right hand to get it done, I suspect he won't but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Daylyt View Post
                  Imagine if he doubled up on that right I think Mayweather would have went down his chin was wide up in the air ready to get tagged by anything maidana threw.

but you know "if all the rain drops were lemon drops and gumdrops what a rain it would be"
                  If he snuck a right hook behind it Floyd would have gone down and sparked a meme thread, Floyd was off balance, stunned, and wouldn't see it coming.

Comment

Man I keep watching that gif. What a brutal shot. It shook Mayweathers whole body. No doubt in my mind he goes down if that hits chin.

Comment

The punch didn't even land properly

Pretty desperate to say he won that round. He clearly lost it and lost the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X