No announcement yet.

Arum: "Mayweather-Maidana didn't even hit 800,000, it lost a lot of money"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
    I don't think it's true. And if it's true, then that means HBO is losing money too with Pacquaio's recent fights. Because his last two fights were EXPENSIVE as well. Pacquaio got an $18 million guarantee against Bradley, while Bradley got a $6 million guarantee. The undercard was like over $600K. But the PPV numbers were under 750K. So did HBO make a profit or lose?

Then against Rios, Pacquaio got a $20 million guarantee, while Rios got a $4 million guarantee. And this isn't even counting the undercard. And the PPV buys were under 450K. So did HBO make a profit or lose there too?

Anything that can be said about Showtime/Mayweather, can be said about Pacquaio/HBO. They are both consistently commanding the most expensive purses in professional boxing history.
    Hbo doesnt make a guarantee to Pac, Arum does. Totally different.

Comment

• 800,000 buys isn't good?

$48-$56 million in PPV money, plus gate, and everything else for one night?

How much does it cost to pull off a boxing match, NSB promoters/managers?

Comment

• Uncle Bob:(Missing out on multi-millions without Floyd vs Manny)
        "The fight bombed. Needed 1-2 to make a profit."

Uncle Bob:(If fight were made w/Floyd vs Manny)
        "May-Madana did 800k? Well, you can't expect every fight to be a major profit earner. You win some you lose some. I mean look at what Pacquiao vs Rios did. Around 800k. And the fans were waiting for Manny to recover and make a big comeback.
        So, I think they did did pretty good without the big promotion and press tours.

Oh, and those posters all over the place at the MGM? Mayweather-Maidana was the bigger fight there. That's Floyd's home town. Did we want more posters for Pac-Bradley? Of course. But, it is what it is. Boxing is still alive and well. "

Comment

• Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
          my comment still stands and is completely accurate. pac with a crap undercard did pretty much the same as floyd with stacked undercard.

Flom*s open themselves up to this sort of thing by talking so much about money and numbers. if they didn't care about numbers so much it would be a non issue and they wouldn't be so defensive and angry now.
          Very true.

Plus the fact that,

pacquiao literally sold the Bradley PPV on his own without any recognisable chief support, Mayweather has had the luxury of Garcia, Matthysse, Khan and Broner over at show time, which is a great strategy, hand it to GBP for putting on good shows but with TR the yare literally just selling Pacquiao on his own and he still does almost a million. That's impressive. And he is arguably the biggest name in the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by MindBat View Post
            Uncle Bob:(Missing out on multi-millions without Floyd vs Manny)
            "The fight bombed. Needed 1-2 to make a profit."

Uncle Bob:(If fight were made w/Floyd vs Manny)
            "May-Madana did 800k? Well, you can't expect every fight to be a major profit earner. You win some you lose some. I mean look at what Pacquiao vs Rios did. Around 800k. And the fans were waiting for Manny to recover and make a big comeback.
            So, I think they did did pretty good without the big promotion and press tours.

Oh, and those posters all over the place at the MGM? Mayweather-Maidana was the bigger fight there. That's Floyd's home town. Did we want more posters for Pac-Bradley? Of course. But, it is what it is. Boxing is still alive and well. "

Insert this..

Schaefer, Golden Boy Promotions CEO, reckons Mayweather's fight on 3 May against Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand will be "the most expensive pay-per-view card we have ever put together and I believe the most expensive card ever put together in the sport of boxing". He adds pointedly: "I want to thank Floyd Mayweather for making this card happen.".

Straight from thr horses mouth. Most expensive card lol

Add 800k buys..

Boom! Crash and burn showtime lol

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              Hbo doesnt make a guarantee to Pac, Arum does. Totally different.
              And for a Promoter to make a guarantee, that means they are guaranteed that money on the other side of the coin. Or are gambling, taking a big risk. I don't see Arum taking a big risk like that. He gives Pacquaio what he knows he is definitely going to receive from the network.

He's not giving $20 million, if he knows he's not certain he'll get that $20 million from the network. What he offers Pacquaio is largely dependent on whatever he negotiates with the network/HBO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                Well good point,I did not say that to make a case for it just being about Floyd or Manny tbh..Just curious to what it means for the future..Will May and Pac have to start taking a pay cut of some kind??If so I wonder if this helps get the two promoters to start working with each other..If the networks won't pay for only in house fights anymore,us the fans can win..
                It might force the two Promoters to work more together. But Golden Boy has many key fighters. Top Rank, not so much. So it's more like Top Rank may be forced to work with Golden Boy. And it's not so much about paying for only in-house fights. It's more like the PPV model has probably peaked and is on a downward spiral. Also, the economy isn't as strong as people think.

I think in the future Pacquaio and Mayweather will definitely have to take pay cuts. But by that time, they both may be retired, and I don't think they'll be able to perform at today's levels by then either. I think Pacquaio and Mayweather are the last of the mohicans when comes to expensive purses. We won't be seeing these kinda huge paydays for a long time in the future.

Comment

It might force the two Promoters to work more together. But Golden Boy has many key fighters. Top Rank, not so much. So it's more like Top Rank may be forced to work with Golden Boy.
                  GBP has many recognizable names in the 140-147 division that HBO helped build up: Broner, Matthysse, Garcia, Guerrero, Berto, Alexander, Peterson, Lopez, Maidana, Thurman, Porter... but they're not fighting each other. GBP would rather pit them against some nobody outside of the group, or against Malignaggi and Judah. The overprotectionism in the GBP camp has gotten worse. What makes you think GBP would match any of these people up against TR fighters? Many of them are now averaging one fight a year. I can't imagine Arum letting these recognizable names lie dormant for long periods of time.

Thurman says he's being ducked by by a bunch of ducks in his division. Yeah, send him over to TR and Provo, Rios, Alvarado, Bradley would gladly give him the opportunity.

GBP doesn't need TR. All it has to do is quit over protecting their fighters. If they're broke and can't afford to produce high profile fights, then GBP needs to make amends with HBO via Hoya.

Comment

And for a Promoter to make a guarantee, that means they are guaranteed that money on the other side of the coin. Or are gambling, taking a big risk. I don't see Arum taking a big risk like that. He gives Pacquaio what he knows he is definitely going to receive from the network.

He's not giving $20 million, if he knows he's not certain he'll get that $20 million from the network. What he offers Pacquaio is largely dependent on whatever he negotiates with the network/HBO.
                    Networks dont pay for Ppvs in general, theyre supposed to cover their own costs, or better. Thats why Showtime making a massive guarantee to Floyd was such a gamechanger

Comment

It might force the two Promoters to work more together. But Golden Boy has many key fighters. Top Rank, not so much. So it's more like Top Rank may be forced to work with Golden Boy. And it's not so much about paying for only in-house fights. It's more like the PPV model has probably peaked and is on a downward spiral. Also, the economy isn't as strong as people think.

it wont be long before other GBP fighters realize that Maidana only got $1.5mil vs Floyd while Rios and Bradley are rich as **** after fighting PAC

cold war or not, GBP fighters will eventually ask Haymon to try to make those fights happen

the real Cash Cow, as far as lottery ticket, is at Top Rank

Comment

Working...
                      X