Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I just rewatched the De La Hoya-Trinidad fight...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it wasn't a robbery...it was a close fight where Oscar RAN away from the victory...good for Tito

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
      Nowhere near a robbery and nowhere near the masterclass that 'Legendary Nights' portrayed it to be during that episode. Anybody who claims it was a robbery has likely never actually studied that fight and instead just ran with the robbery theme laid down by HBO's sports department - Just like people falsely claim that Taylor was never any good after Chavez, or that Hagler actually beat Leonard, etc, etc, etc...

De La Hoya fought like a b*tch. It was embarrassing.

It's a myth that De La Hoya won the first 8 rounds convincingly. Round 1 was a feel-out round that could've gone either way and, IIRC, round 4 was clearly a Tito round. That's two rounds right there that could easily be scored for Trinidad plus the 4 rounds late in the fight that Oscar did **** all in.

That makes the fight a draw already. Find one more round to score for Trinidad (and there were a few early on when Oscar was mostly jabbing and neither guy was asserting himself) and he wins it.

No robbery took place in this fight.

Comment

Dlh imo clearly won the fight. You have to be effective with your aggression. Tito was not effective with his aggression like he usually was in this fight. Tito also came in looking emaciated at the weigh in which I thought weakened Tito a bit.

Tito couldn't box, Dlh could. Tito was a pressure fighter who could fight inside, Dlh was a boxer who couldn't fight inside. Btoh lacked right hands but both had exceptional lefthooks, good speed and chins. Dlh picked and chose his wars in terms of when to stalk and when to box and move. This choice to box Tito turned people off.

The difference when Dlh fought Shane , Ike Quartey, and Tito was power. He felt he could take those guys shots (Shane and Ike) and got exposed a bit as lacking a natural right hand in those fights which is why those fights were hard.

Against Tito, he knew he could not stand and trade, so Dlh used his hand speed and boxed Tito. He gave Tito rounds that Tito won on sheer aggression in the latter part of the fight and Tito was not landing nowhere near how he usually did on other fighters which was expected but also surprising.

But Dlh clearly won the fight imo.
        Last edited by Frank Ducketts; 05-20-2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Wow just watched the fight again, Trinidad got his ass whipped. One of the biggest robberies of the 90's. It's too bad Felix jr didn't have the cojones to take Oscar up on the rematch, ***in coward. One of the worst things a fighter can do is runaway from a rematch after getting a clear gift.

Comment

Originally posted by UTEP View Post
            Wow just watched the fight again, Trinidad got his ass whipped. One of the biggest robberies of the 90's. It's too bad Felix jr didn't have the cojones to take Oscar up on the rematch, ***in coward. One of the worst things a fighter can do is runaway from a rematch after getting a clear gift.
            if Tito got his ass whipped then we have to have a talk about what "ass whipped" means.

Comment

Oscar was winning vs Tito , I can't even lie. He was though by his own admission exaughseted after 8-9 rds and literally ran the rest of the fight. He didn't deserve to win IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by UTEP View Post
                Nice bit of revisionist history taking place in this post.

For the record, it was De La Hoya who turned down the idea of a rematch.

Repeatedly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2607266

Comment

There are certain fights where it can end up being a clear 7 to 5 type of victory, but I think they're in the minority historically. Normally when I see guys going "I had it 7 to 5 for (insert fighter here)" in a highly disputed affair, it's followed shortly by the implication that it's impossible for anybody of intelligence to find just one more round to give to the other guy to make it a draw.

Boxing fans are ****ing ******. It's crap like that that makes me hate this place as much as I do these days.
                  Agreed.

There are some situations were 7-5 is possible but that's as far it can go. But that's seldom.

A lot these "robberies" are 7-5 fights with a whole lot of close rounds in there.

Comment

Nice bit of revisionist history taking place in this post.

For the record, it was De La Hoya who turned down the idea of a rematch.

Repeatedly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2607266
                    They should change this section to the "Revisionist History Section"

The amount of baffling, eye brow raising, outright made up scenario's I've seen over the years are absolutely insane.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Agreed.

There are some situations were 7-5 is possible but that's as far it can go. But that's seldom.

A lot these "robberies" are 7-5 fights with a whole lot of close rounds in there.
                      Which means that it's only a robbery if "your guy" didn't get the decision.

Like I've said before, boxing fans here approach a conversation like a female approaches an argument - They've overly emotional, quick to cry foul, and disregard anything and everything that contradicts their argument.

Boxingscene should be sponsored by Tampax.

Comment

Working...
                      X