Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I just rewatched the De La Hoya-Trinidad fight...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    It was reported in PR that Oscar was begging Tito for the fight and even met with him and his father. I know it would have made huge money but according to Tito he couldn't make that weight anymore.

In the end you are right, Oscar has the L and Tito has the W. Ironically though, Oscar is almost always higher on the list when they compare the two fighters all time.

I know Oscar gets a ton of hate on here and around the boxing world but I grew up at the same time with him and Robert Garcia when they were amateurs. I was an amateur myself at that time, he was something special.

We all knew he would be great, like one of the all time greats. His skills were undeniable and you would never expect that to some from someone who looked like him.
    Funny you should say "someone who looked like him." I think it's partly why Oscar receives so much hate. Some people can't help but envy a guy that seems to have everything going on. The guy was a great fighter -- no doubt about it. The money, the women, the looks, the fame...it's too much for some people to take. lol Come to think of it, maybe Oscar needed to fail just once to make him human.

Comment

At the most it was a draw. ODLH lloked like hewon more rounds. When he ran the last 4 rounds especially the last one I thought that he might have gave it away

Oscar did not want to do the rematch. For being the fight of the millenium it was quite dull

Comment

Trinidad definitely lost.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          Funny you should say "someone who looked like him." I think it's partly why Oscar receives so much hate. Some people can't help but envy a guy that seems to have everything going on. The guy was a great fighter -- no doubt about it. The money, the women, the looks, the fame...it's too much for some people to take. lol Come to think of it, maybe Oscar needed to fail just once to make him human.
          Yea, I saw him at a show about 4 years ago and I shook his hand and he just doesn't look like a boxer. He looks like a male model.

It was hard for me to accept he could beat me up if he wanted...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            Yea, I saw him at a show about 4 years ago and I shook his hand and he just doesn't look like a boxer. He looks like a male model.

It was hard for me to accept he could beat me up if he wanted...lol
            LOL my mom said the same thing after watching one of his Fred Loya commercials. She couldn't believe when I told her he used to knock mf's out back in the day & not to let the boyish looks fool her. I even had to show her the Mayorga & Gatti fights for her to even take me seriously

Comment

Nowhere near a robbery and nowhere near the masterclass that 'Legendary Nights' portrayed it to be during that episode. Anybody who claims it was a robbery has likely never actually studied that fight and instead just ran with the robbery theme laid down by HBO's sports department - Just like people falsely claim that Taylor was never any good after Chavez, or that Hagler actually beat Leonard, etc, etc, etc...

De La Hoya fought like a b*tch. It was embarrassing.

It's a myth that De La Hoya won the first 8 rounds convincingly. Round 1 was a feel-out round that could've gone either way and, IIRC, round 4 was clearly a Tito round. That's two rounds right there that could easily be scored for Trinidad plus the 4 rounds late in the fight that Oscar did **** all in.

That makes the fight a draw already. Find one more round to score for Trinidad (and there were a few early on when Oscar was mostly jabbing and neither guy was asserting himself) and he wins it.

No robbery took place in this fight.
              Last edited by ßringer; 05-20-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I had it 8 rounds to 4 for Oscar but i can see how some people had it 7 rounds to 5 for Oscar, i think calling it a draw is a little bit of a stretch.

Here it is if anybody wants to watch it again, great fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LWO View Post
                  I had it 8 rounds to 4 for Oscar but i can see how some people had it 7 rounds to 5 for Oscar, i think calling it a draw is a little bit of a stretch.
                  I see a lot of users here say the bolded a lot and it makes absolutely no sense whatso****ingever.

Let me get this straight...You can see someone scoring the fight 7 rounds to 5 in favor of Oscar, but if they score just one more round for Trinidad then it immediately becomes suspect?

Scoring a fight 7 rounds to 5 very clearly indicates a close competition was fought, but scoring that same fight 6 to 6 is somehow an injustice or stretching the truth?

GTFO. It's time people stop saying ******ed **** like this. Particularly in fights where there were so many close rounds where **** all was done that could've been scored for either guy depending on what seat you're sitting in.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                    I see a lot of users here say the bolded a lot and it makes absolutely no sense whatso****ingever.

Let me get this straight...You can see someone scoring the fight 7 rounds to 5 in favor of Oscar, but if they score just one more round for Trinidad then it immediately becomes suspect?

Scoring a fight 7 rounds to 5 very clearly indicates a close competition was fought, but scoring that same fight 6 to 6 is somehow an injustice or stretching the truth?

GTFO. It's time people stop saying ******ed **** like this. Particularly in fights where there were so many close rounds where **** all was done that could've been scored for either guy depending on what seat you're sitting in.
                    I think in some cases it can work for example I scored Bradley-Pacquaio 1 8-4 Pacquaio but I could see 7-5 Pacquaio but that's the most I could see, that's giving Bradley every benefit of the doubt (IMO)

But I do agree with you entirely especially when there's a fight with close rounds.

Here's an example, I see people call Garcia-Herrera a robbery and "No less than 7-5 Herrera" yet a lot of people had it 7-5 Herrera or 8-4 and the vast majority of the rounds in that fight were very close so there's no way you're telling me if you had that score you couldn't see it a draw or the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      I think in some cases it can work for example I scored Bradley-Pacquaio 1 8-4 Pacquaio but I could see 7-5 Pacquaio but that's the most I could see, that's giving Bradley every benefit of the doubt (IMO)

But I do agree with you entirely especially when there's a fight with close rounds.

Here's an example, I see people call Garcia-Herrera a robbery and "No less than 7-5 Herrera" yet a lot of people had it 7-5 Herrera or 8-4 and the vast majority of the rounds in that fight were very close so there's no way you're telling me if you had that score you couldn't see it a draw or the other way.
                      There are certain fights where it can end up being a clear 7 to 5 type of victory, but I think they're in the minority historically. Normally when I see guys going "I had it 7 to 5 for (insert fighter here)" in a highly disputed affair, it's followed shortly by the implication that it's impossible for anybody of intelligence to find just one more round to give to the other guy to make it a draw.

Boxing fans are ****ing ******. It's crap like that that makes me hate this place as much as I do these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X