No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Salido Powers Past Lomachenko With Split Nod Win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Main Source View Post
    Max K. was spouting about the 'weight issue' every got damn second of the fight like it's something new in boxing. **** was tedious to listen to and the HBO-team clearly wanted 'Chenko to win - even if Salido took it pretty convincingly. You can't just barge in the front door and take on a champion without doing anything. The veteran showed how different pro-boxing is opposed to the amateurs. There was nothing "Hi-Tech" about 'Chenko tonight. He a great boxer but this is the pros - it's a fight.

Look, I don't like weight-issues surrounding boxing either but let's not pretend it doesn't happen often - e.g. Mayweather faces opponents with well over 15-20lbs weight advantages and no one cares.
    Yeah, I mean he was commentating with Roy Jones, a guy who came in 19 lbs heavier than hopkins in their first fight, I'm suprised Jones didn't say anything

Comment

• I haven't had a chance to read all 23 pages of responses to this thread, but the replies I have seen confuse me.

I don't know if everyone scored the fight, but I had it 114-114. It was a close fight in which Lomachenko outlanded Salido, and I think everyone acknowledges that Lomachenko still could have done more. In other words, Lomachenko fought Salido well enough to outland him and lose a fair split-decision. He clearly demonstrated that he is on the championship level, and that this fight was not too soon, whether he "earned" it or not. Incidentally, the notion of earning a fight in boxing is somewhat comical, considering the politics of match making and fight promotion that everyone in these forums has to know exist.

Further, the fact is, Salido was overweight, and that matters. He did, apparently, outweigh Lomachenko by 11 lbs on the night of the fight, and that matters. Salido did hit Lomachenko low over a dozen times, and Cole was terrible. Those things matter. Finally, Salido does have all of the pro experience, while Lomachenko has almost none. That matters.

Despite all of those things, Lomachenko could have very well won that fight, even though the decision was fair enough.

On top of all this, Lomachenko was gracious in defeat following the fight, making no excuses.

People should appreciate what he accomplished, not relish in his defeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Awesome win, loved it. Can't come in here skipping everyone, tryna win a major title. Low blows, missed weight, 147lbs on fight night, f-ck it, don't really care. You don't come in here like you're the Queen of England.
        Exactly. I dont care how many amateur wins or medals a boxer has. He shoudlnt get a title fight in his second pro fight while all the other ranked boxers wait behind him just because Bob Arum pulls strings and gives out cash.

Comment

• I had Salido winning 8 rounds to 4. I don't think the fight was close at all. The fact that Lomachenko lost to what is essentially a journeyman and looked bad in doing it proves that he had no business fighting for a world championship belt this early in his career. Unfortunately, he will probably fight for the vacated title in his next fight, likely against someone he can beat, like Orlando Cruz.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnthrAxNSB View Post
            I haven't had a chance to read all 23 pages of responses to this thread, but the replies I have seen confuse me.

I don't know if everyone scored the fight, but I had it 114-114. It was a close fight in which Lomachenko outlanded Salido, and I think everyone acknowledges that Lomachenko still could have done more. In other words, Lomachenko fought Salido well enough to outland him and lose a fair split-decision. He clearly demonstrated that he is on the championship level, and that this fight was not too soon, whether he "earned" it or not. Incidentally, the notion of earning a fight in boxing is somewhat comical, considering the politics of match making and fight promotion that everyone in these forums has to know exist.

Further, the fact is, Salido was overweight, and that matters. He did, apparently, outweigh Lomachenko by 11 lbs on the night of the fight, and that matters. Salido did hit Lomachenko low over a dozen times, and Cole was terrible. Those things matter. Finally, Salido does have all of the pro experience, while Lomachenko has almost none. That matters.

Despite all of those things, Lomachenko could have very well won that fight, even though the decision was fair enough.

On top of all this, Lomachenko was gracious in defeat following the fight, making no excuses.

People should appreciate what he accomplished, not relish in his defeat.
            He didn't accomplish a damn thing except losing to a glorified journeyman. He has no business in the ring with the top fighters a 126 right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Main Source View Post
              Max K. was spouting about the 'weight issue' every got damn second of the fight like it's something new in boxing. **** was tedious to listen to and the HBO-team clearly wanted 'Chenko to win - even if Salido took it pretty convincingly. You can't just barge in the front door and take on a champion without doing anything. The veteran showed how different pro-boxing is opposed to the amateurs. There was nothing "Hi-Tech" about 'Chenko tonight. He a great boxer but this is the pros - it's a fight.

Look, I don't like weight-issues surrounding boxing either but let's not pretend it doesn't happen often - e.g. Mayweather faces opponents with well over 15-20lbs weight advantages and no one cares.
              I agree with everything you said except the last statement. Mayweather has never outweighed an opponent by 15 to 20 pounds. In fact, he rarely outweighs an opponent at all. I am sure your are talking about JMM's claim that Mayweather came into their fight at 160, but that is just a claim. There is no evidence to support that. Anybody can make an accusation, but that doesn't mean that the accusation is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by megas30 View Post
                It was very hard listening to the HBO team begging for a robbery.
                I agree. It is always painful to watch an HBO fight because they are always openly rooting for a particular fighter and are always critical of the opposing opponent, the referee or judges when things don't go the way they want. I thought Jim Lampley was going to start crying on air when Marquez KO'd Pacquaio.

Comment

• Lomoncko should not have fought Salido so eary. 2nd since he did his team should have made sure Salido made weight or pulled the plug on the fight. Lomo is supposed make history than as his team you have to make sure he is playing on a level field, Salido makes boxers look bad, this isn't a win for Salido much less a good win. As Salido fighter he did what he felt needed to be down to have an advantage over Lomo.

Comment

• I'm glad I didn't watch the fight...
                    I have influenza.

Comment

• Man I thought Loma won. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                      X