No announcement yet.

Documents reveal Ali vs Liston was fixed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Orwell View Post
    i guess a good number of guys who fought in that era had atleast one of their fights fixed. its like steroids, no way to prove someone did it but everyone is suspect.

also keep in mind the FBI always had dirty on any black "agitator" during that time including MLK (FBI files will forever be sealed) so id take whatever dirt they have on Clay with a grain of salt
    Ali screamed to Liston get up you bum nobody would believe this, and many many people have stated this so Ali was ver very well in the know that a fix was going down that he was complicit in.......To have that fight temporarily restarted, but then stopped by the ref but those that didnt watch fight 2 wouldnt know of the restarting match thing, boxing seem to sweep that under the rug

Shyt was clear something fishy was going on, like a orchestrated finish got interrupted and neither party knew exactly what to do, ref included

Comment

Originally posted by sbbigmike View Post
      Naw thats how history has re-written the facts, Liston was a guy that couldnt read, and would refuse interviews left and right threatening to fight reporters and such, arrested for fighting cops a handful of times, he was a guy that was fear but not necessarily liked.....Ali was Clay then and he was loved despite being the underdog. Ali was simply a it guy that could capture imaginations and give them a show in the ring and out, Liston wasn't that and after beating Patterson he understood this........

I know boxing fans dont like to slight Ali or that era, because thts what made us get into the sport, but as a man and truthful person I cant turn a blind eye, I have to acknowledge that shyt, wasn't right in boxing
      If you lived through that era, then you saw something I didn't. Everything I've ever seen or read indicates that Liston was preferred over the "loudmouthed", young Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by sbbigmike View Post
        Ali screamed to Liston get up you bum nobody would believe this, and many many people have stated this so Ali was ver very well in the know that a fix was going down that he was complicit in.......To have that fight temporarily restarted, but then stopped by the ref but those that didnt watch fight 2 wouldnt know of the restarting match thing, boxing seem to sweep that under the rug

Shyt was clear something fishy was going on, like a orchestrated finish got interrupted and neither party knew exactly what to do, ref included
        I alluded to all this in an earlier post in this thread.

Comment

Reading the article itself is enough to doubt it, the fight was in '64 yet the first account of testimony from the bookie was in '66, 2 years later. The FBI didn't further the investigation, which probably tells you a thing or two.

In terms of the fight itself, if Liston did bet against himself and if the fight was fixed so that it would be Liston who lost, why would he be the one cheating? Using banned substances on his gloves and body so that Ali was literally fighting blind. Surely that would make it harder for Ali to win.

What Ali did that night was so great that 50 years later, we still find it hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
            Was skeptical to say the least at first! Was about to click on the link nonetheless, then seen it was on the dailymail!!

If you believe the crap that they write you sir are a fool...
            Will yes but contrary to most of their articles, that's a well written one.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
              Reading the article itself is enough to doubt it, the fight was in '64 yet the first account of testimony from the bookie was in '66, 2 years later. The FBI didn't further the investigation, which probably tells you a thing or two.

In terms of the fight itself, if Liston did bet against himself and if the fight was fixed so that it would be Liston who lost, why would he be the one cheating? Using banned substances on his gloves and body so that Ali was literally fighting blind. Surely that would make it harder for Ali to win.

What Ali did that night was so great that 50 years later, we still find it hard to believe.
              Liston took a dive both times. Foreman was drugged.

That's how great Ali was and how astounding those victories are, that people still can't believe he was good enough to do it.

Comment

I can believe that Liston is easily one of the greatest HW's of all time, man was unstoppable and had scary power.

Ali is still a ATG though and could also easily be seen as one of the best, doesn't change my view of either man.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  In a documentary interview, George Chuvalo echoes what many fans think about the "phantom punch," that Liston was "one tough hombre" and that there's "no way" he would've gone down from such a blow.

Sonny might've been playing-it-up with that display. First he rolls around the canvass unconvincingly, then he looks over at his corner sheepishly as he stands by Walcott , then he cowers as Ali moves in again. I could be completely wrong, of course, but, to me, Liston's body language was utterly unconvincing.
                  I agree. Certainly the rematch is suspect to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Liston took a dive both times. Foreman was drugged.

That's how great Ali was and how astounding those victories are, that people still can't believe he was good enough to do it.
                    This.....

Ali has looked average and took serious ass whippings from lesser fighters than Liston......Im certain fights Ali chose to do certain things, play around dance and such, that was something even as a child that didnt quite pass my eye test

Now why did Ali always seem to get the decision, if those 5-6 fights arguably close fights some may even say he clearly lost........

Comment

Most telling thing is that the FBI stated that Liston won a reported £1m bet from losing the fight, as did Resnick, no doubt Frank Carbo won even more than that. Huge amounts of money were placed by numerous characters on Ali to win just before the fight, which is strange because no one in the world thought he had a chance.

Comment

Working...
                      X