Documents reveal Ali vs Liston was fixed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documents reveal Ali vs Liston was fixed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/box...ts-reveal.html

There's too many holes in the story for it to be true.

Comment

If you read the Daily Mail and believe the nonsense they spout, then there is no doubt that that person is a stupid bastard.

Comment

Someone is mad they didn't win the fight gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by El Pistolero View Post
          If you read the Daily Mail and believe the nonsense they spout, then there is no doubt that that person is a stupid bastard.
          I don't know though man, some valid points made there

Comment

Short but interesting article. I doubt we'll ever know the real truth about the Ali-Liston fights. They were both suspect. While Ali might've legitimately beaten Liston on both occasions, Sonny was very possibly in on a fix in their two meetings. I don't think Muhammad was ever in on it. Ali's reaction to Liston's "fall" in the second fight suggests he suspected Sonny took a dive.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Short but interesting article. I doubt we'll ever know the real truth about the Ali-Liston fights. They were both suspect. While Ali might've legitimately beaten Liston on both occasions, Sonny was very possibly in on a fix in their two meetings. I don't think Muhammad was ever in on it. Ali's reaction to Liston's "fall" in the second fight suggests he suspected Sonny took a dive.
              Yeah I'm pretty sure Ali was not involved but then Liston might have very well been

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                I think most people will agree and it also seems to be the general consensus, that Liston did indeed take a dive in the second fight.

Nevertheless, what many people don't remember is that he actually got up and fought on, only for ref Jersey Joe Walcott to stop it after.

Comment

Your headline is misleading. The documents merely indicate that the FBI suspected the fight was fixed. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                    I think most people will agree and it also seems to be the general consensus, that Liston did indeed take a dive in the second fight.

Nevertheless, what many people don't remember is that he actually got up and fought on, only for ref Jersey Joe Walcott to stop it after.
                    In a documentary interview, George Chuvalo echoes what many fans think about the "phantom punch," that Liston was "one tough hombre" and that there's "no way" he would've gone down from such a blow.

Sonny might've been playing-it-up with that display. First he rolls around the canvass unconvincingly, then he looks over at his corner sheepishly as he stands by Walcott , then he cowers as Ali moves in again. I could be completely wrong, of course, but, to me, Liston's body language was utterly unconvincing.

Comment

Working...
                    X