Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got done watching Mayweather-Cotto.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    So Cotto could make 147 and only moved up because there's no fights there? He should go back down then if he could make it, Marquez, Bradley, Rios, are all pretty winnable and lucrative fights for him. I would pay to watch Marquez vs Cotto, and I would love to see Bradley-Cotto as well. Cotto-Rios would be a fun fight.

But this is of course if Cotto is the same size as Floyd, or smaller, and could easily make 147. Like Floyd being 148lbs 1 month away from the Guerrero fight.
    He asked Margarito to fight him at 150 pounds so there was motivation there to lose weight.

Comment

Originally posted by torosboxing75 View Post
      Ok and lets not forget to add Freddy to that mix because Cotto would try to destroy his rib cage that's for sure.
      true but we just have to see how good freddie roach is with cotto.......sr has proven he is great with floyd. freddie's only fight with cotto is rodriguez so the jury is still out on that one.

Comment

jesus christ mayweather is overrated

floyd, unless he is straight out running or throwing to keep you off, he gets the ring cut off on him all the time, matter of fact it's his habit of just jumping straight back, he puts himself on the ropes

he cant out hustle elite pressure fighters like cotto unless he is sprinting around the ring, and that for the most part only lasts about 3 rounds before he tires

and guerrero put no pressure on him until about the 9th, the majority of the early rounds were staredowns as guerrero was trying to execute his ******ed gameplan of boxing floyd in a game of counter-punching exclusively

and he attempted to box cotto like he usually boxes, keeping that nice distance where he can potshot you from, if you throw or come at him he will 80% of the time jump back, needs that 20% to keep you guessing, what makes him elite

only time i saw him stand his ground was when cotto hurt him and he didn't have his legs to move, floyd despite the label of "coward" always bites back when push comes to shove, when cotto hurt him he wanted to hurt cotto back, pushing forward however, not his specialty either at this level, cotto outboxed him, floyd got his senses and went back to a more active role added ontop of his usual distance keeping style instead of pushing forward to quickly, helped that cotto was fading as he usually does by that point
        Last edited by SplitSecond; 02-24-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TedMosby0311 View Post
          You're making Cotto out to be some monster which simply isn't true

- Ted Mosby
          No I'm not. Where am I doing that?

I've clearly stated that that isn't the case, actually.

All I've said is that he's bigger Mayweather, which is pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Yeah I agree he's definitely not a true Jr MW especially for today's standard. He's small compared to the other guys.

I think it's more of a case of a sticky situation for him. He can't make 147 but he's not big enough for 154.

I think if he could make 147 he'd be fighting there at this point.
            I think it's more of a case that he's more comfortable at 154 because he doesn't have to cut as much weight. You have to remember Cotto isn't as dedicated outside of the ring as a Mayweather or other guys, he drinks, he eats anything, he parties. So he blows up a bit.

Comment

Cotto is the best pressure fighter Mayweather has fought since his troubles with Castillo. He's conned a lot of people over the years into thinking he has little trouble with pressure based on how he dealt with stubby plodders like Baldomir, or mindless brawlers like Ortiz.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Mayweather wanted that sort of fight out of Cotto; he won clearly enough, but there were times in that fight where he was clearly unsettled and out of his comfort zone. That's why I always laugh at his diehard fans so easily dismissing the threat Margarito would have posed circa 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
                I think it's more of a case that he's more comfortable at 154 because he doesn't have to cut as much weight. You have to remember Cotto isn't as dedicated outside of the ring as a Mayweather or other guys, he drinks, he eats anything, he parties. So he blows up a bit.
                Perhaps, perhaps.

I remember reading something from him or his team about how he doesn't like cutting a lot of weight because of his time at 140 which was absolutely constantly difficult weight cuts.

He obviously doesn't have to cut much weight to weigh in at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
                  jesus christ mayweather is overrated

floyd, unless he is straight out running or throwing to keep you off, he gets the ring cut off on him all the time, matter of fact it's his habit of just jumping straight back, he puts himself on the ropes

he cant out hustle elite pressure fighters like cotto unless he is sprinting around the ring, and that for the most part only lasts about 3 rounds before he tires

and guerrero put no pressure on him until about the 9th, the majority of the early rounds were staredowns as guerrero was trying to execute his ******ed gameplan of boxing floyd in a game of counter-punching exclusively
                  Good post. Floyd always puts himself on the ropes, I don't know why he doesn't use more lateral movement. We can look at the Oscar fight for this habit.

Guerrero and Canelo went in there with game plans that a ******ed kid made up on fight night. Not to mention both don't move very well

Comment

if cotto and floyd are the same size, how come cotto just won't go back down to ww? if he can make the weight like everyone thinks, wouldn't he want to go back down with all those great money fights(marquez, pacquiao rematch, floyd rematch, bradley, etc...)? fact is, he can't make 147 without being a dead man.

Comment

Originally posted by Xi_ View Post
                      if cotto and floyd are the same size, how come cotto just won't go back down to ww? if he can make the weight like everyone thinks, wouldn't he want to go back down with all those great money fights(marquez, pacquiao rematch, floyd rematch, bradley, etc...)? fact is, he can't make 147 without being a dead man.
                      After fighting at JMW after what 3-4 years he would be dead making 147. Just like Dawson was when he fought Ward. Could he make the weight? Sure. Will it cost him the fight? Probably.

Comment

Working...
                      X