Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitaker v Chavez, rewatched it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOLLLLLL at someone saying that whitaker was doing pitty pat punches, to justify his terrible scoring bringing up the malignaggi broner fight, 2 completely different fights. I mean malignaggi was doing pitty pat punches AND missing alot. Whitaker was throwing short compact punches, outboxing him from the outside, and even winning on the inside pretty easily. Hard shots power shots. I mean come on, that person needs to shoot themselves whoever said that.

Comment

I had it 116-112 for Whitaker.

Comment

I'm fan of both fighters but Whitaker won that fight. King protected Chavez very well back in those days.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          Interesting thread here...

There are only two parties: the Latinos and, and, and... With a single exception...
          No fan of the Soviet boxing school has commented yet. Perhaps they don't recognize these two.

Comment

A lot of low blows. Should deduct 2 points from Whitaker.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
              and with competent scoring, still gives Whitaker a 116-110 victory

Comment

I've seen the fight once and I had Whitaker winning by 4 rounds. Whitaker was just always the better fighter. Much like Taylor was, but Taylor fought like an idiot and kept taking punches he didn't need to take until ultimately he was knocked out.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^

That's how Taylor always fought. He was a fighter, not a boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh View Post
                    people will always view things differently from others. if you are a fan of defence you are goin to say withaker won and if you are a fan of boxer puncher you are goin to say chavez won. imo i think chavez won.
                    Just no...

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
                    Early rounds were close but most were won by Whitaker. Chavez was landing the
                    Straight right pretty nicely but that was basically the only weapon he managed to land. The later round Whitaker started winning the rounds by a bigger margin and had Chavez frustrated as he was able to land nice combinations an displayed great defense. Never kept a scorecard for this fight but obviously Sweet Pea deserved the nod.
                    Pretty much how I saw it, the early rounds were damn close, I gave Chavez two of the first 5 rounds. Then the 6th came and Whitaker moved it up a notch, although he should have been deducted at least a point for consistent low blows.

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Robbery yes, but i have seen much worse cards,, canelo-floyd a draw, manny-tim, etc

This was not a draw, pernell won, but not the worst scores i have ever seen
                    Yeah, the Manny/Bradley card was much worse. And that CJ Ross card in the Floyd/Can fight was a joke but I can see why some had that fight closer than you'd think. Floyd gave away some later rounds, he slowed down his pace and allowed Canelo to work.

Originally posted by gauze View Post
                    116-112 whitaker. i gave chavez 4 of the first 5, close rounds that could have gone to either guy except for round 3. i liked chavez' body work in those early rounds and he landed some good rights upstairs.
                    Originally posted by J The UnBiased View Post
                    Why would Whitaker call for a rematch?
                    Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
                    yes for point deduction and yes to the first 5 rounds being close as hell but from rounds 6-9 Whitaker was in a different league. Jabbing, moving, not getting touched, countering and even snapping chavez's head back a couple times. It was all sweet pea in that part of the fight. 10/11/12 were all good rounds but again, the argument can be made for Whitaker winning most of them. I gave the final round to Chavez cos Whitaker seemed intent running.

And why wouldn't Whitaker call for a rematch??? Look at Tarver after the first Roy fight, you gotta call for a rematch.

Comment

Had it for Whitaker, and I idealized Chavez.

Comment

Working...
                      X