Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mikey Garcia is so boring, last night I turned off my TV half way through the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes and no. I thought he fought a solid fight, but I would've liked to see more. As well as he was cutting off the ring towards the end, I thought he could've produced more action, and done so earlier. Mikey shouldn't take too much heat tho, Burgos felt his power and refused to engage.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      The Garcia fight was boring, like 50 Cent said, it put everyone to sleep.

Nobody wants to watch that, that's the bottom line.

Kellerman disagrees with the co-commentators much too often. Sometimes he's right but it's the way he does it, his tone, like he knows more than them. Then Roy and Andre start pulling rank and get competitive with him arguing, not good for the viewer.
      Last night he started talking about Spilka circling the right way as a southpaw and what not, I was cringing bad. Buddy leave that up to Ward. Besides many southpaws circle the "wrong way" and still have great success. Then he goes on about Spilka having spent 18 months in jail and that this can't be good for your legs. Now how would Max know that? Is it Broner's flat footedness? I mean this guy is getting progressively worse and while Ward is a good colour commentator, don't involve him or shut him up when he speaks about entertainment value cause he would find pleasure in watching a fencing match without swords.
      Last edited by pesticid; 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
        Different situations. Rigondeaux had an opponent in front of him that wasn't even punching yet chose not to step on the gas and close the show or make a statement.

While Clottey went into full survival mode once he saw how fast pac was and how hard he hit, pac still was unloading on him despite Clottey going into full turtle shell.

Mikey had a very game opponent in front of him who was throwing and fighting back for a good part of the fight but it's mikeys patient and textbook style that makes him boring. He's a grest tactician and I can appreciate his ring iq but his style is like low fat oatmeal. Bland.

I am sorry we must have been watching two different fights or have very different takes on it, because to me it looked like both guys got their bell rung at a point in the fight Mikey first, and then Burgos. The big difference was that Mikey kept his composure and game plan while Burgos looked to me like in his mind he went "Fk this ****" and completely changed into survival flick jabs that don't hit from the outside, and hope for the best mode.

It is true his survival mode wasn't to be inside a shell and not do **** like Agbeko and Clottey did but you could see his ballz shrink to raisin size after the round he got buzzed. It aint as easy as you think to "step on the gas" top competition dont just fold in half if they want to survive they can, but I can appreciate trying to be flawless, and I know it can be dull to watch when the other guy does not want to get put to sleep but why take points away from the guy who dominated the fight and would have been the victor no matter what. The only time I would be on their case even on counter punchers about not going balls to the wall is if they where fighting bums but abandoning who you are as a boxer and being reckless is not a good idea against good opposition. The points you may loose with guys who don't appreciate your boring dominance is nothing to the points they would loose if they get put to sleep.

Originally posted by New England View Post
        additionally, king kong, boom boom clottey, and burgos had all never been stopped.

i think burgos figured out after the first big right hand with leverage that garcia could stop him. burgos boxes and uses his height well, and survived.
        Exactly he did what he knew how to survive. Agbeko and Clottey was to shell up and not throw because they didn't like what was coming at them just like this guy used his movement and jab to survive but he was sure as **** not trying to win.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
          I think this is a first for me, I even managed to watch Pascal vs Bute until the end. There is something about Mikey's style that I can't stomach. Anybody else feels the same way?

He might still be able to beat Gamboa, cause Gammboa's too bloated and inactive but I cannot watch Mikey fight another round. He's efficient, he's effective, he's a very good technician and tactician, but maybe he's too fundamental for my liking. Kind of like Tim Duncan.
          You must not have seen Gamboa's recent performances.

Anyway, Mikey's last few fights have been good. Burgos played the role of spoiler last night. He fought to lose by decision, not to win. Mikey actually was pursuing him and cutting off the ring. He initiated the engages. Burgos fought negative almost the whole fight.

Garcia's style is best suited to face pressure fighters. That's where he excels most and his offense looks spectacular. But make no mistake he was dominant last night.

Comment

Garcia does alot of things very well. Good hand speed, good punch, ring generalship and a pretty nice defense. He has a decent future In the sport and put on a boxing clinic last night. On the flipside, I don't see anything special that will one day allow his name to be mentioned as an ATG. Furthermore, the talk of a Pacquiao-Garcia fight should remain just talk.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              And Paulie. Love listening to Bernstein and Paulie.
              Yes, I agree, Paulie Is good.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                you guys really don't know boxing if you think mikey was the reason that fight was boring. he was literally cutting the ring off by the end.

burgos is a very experienced 130 lb fighter. he had a good chin, and he was looking to survive.

garcia has an amazing ability to see and pick off shots, especially the jab. it's a pleasure to watch if you like boxing.
                We all like boxing. If u don't like a certain fighter it doesn't mean u don't know or like boxing. It means that fighter is just boring to the person.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  But hey, Rigo and Lara are boring as **** right?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                  For real, the contradictions around here.

Comment

I don't have a problem watching Mikey fight, but I understand where the TS is coming from. I've been saying this for years: Garcia is a manufactured fighter. He's the embodiment of the textbook. People look at guys like Gamboa and think they have no fundamentals. The truth is, Gamboa chooses to fight the way he does because he can. The difference between guys like Yuri and Mikey is that Gamboa has stunning natural talent, while Mikey has been methodically molded into the fighter he is today. One is much more visually appealing than the other...and I hope we see the clash of both worlds soon.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      I don't have a problem watching Mikey fight, but I understand where the TS is coming from. I've been saying this for years: Garcia is a manufactured fighter. He's the embodiment of the textbook. People look at guys like Gamboa and think they have no fundamentals. The truth is, Gamboa chooses to fight the way he does because he can. The difference between guys like Yuri and Mikey is that Gamboa has stunning natural talent, while Mikey has been methodically molded into the fighter he is today. One is much more visually appealing than the other...and I hope we see the clash of both worlds soon.
                      Great post. Spot on!

Comment

Working...
                      X