No announcement yet.

HBO Sports President Talks Rigondeaux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE REED™
    Nobodys dropping HBO because they may cut Rigo... lol get real.

If what you are saying is true, THEN THEY WOULDNT DROP HIM.

Rigo - Donaire - Championship unified fight - 1.1M
    Rigo Agbeko - 518,000

Berto - Gurrero - 1.1M
    Berto - Ortiz - 1.5 M
    Hell, even Berto Zaveck did 885k

And Berto puts on entertaining fights, whether its bums or B level... there's blood, knockdowns, come backs, knockouts, and excitement. Berto will continue to be on HBO and for a reason.
    Berto's fights with bums were less than entertaining before he started to fade, now he is entertaining, but when he was being hand fed cab drivers, it was atrociously boring.

Obviously, nobody is going to drop HBO just because of that. My point is that it takes away one aspect of their appeal to subscribers.

I wouldn't have recorded the HBO card if Rigo wasn't on it. I skipped over the Kirkland fight, and spent the entire night on the Showtime cards.

Which is the same thing most people did.

They are putting Rigo in a position to fail. They are criticizing him because he is losing viewers to much more significant main events with household names.

Hirschman has already run HBO boxing into the ground. If he thinks he is going to save it by shedding even more fighters, he is delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
      I have the best god damn solution this is fuxking genius.

HBO should cast Rigondeaux in Game of Thrones.

Problem solved.

/thread
      they'll kill him in one episode and we will be back right where we started:

"Why did rigo die already? This is clear disrespect and racism by hbo!"

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
        I have the best god damn solution this is fuxking genius.

HBO should cast Rigondeaux in Game of Thrones.

Problem solved.

/thread
        Rigo could have been Syrio Forel. Move like water, indeed.

Comment

Is boxing "just" entertainment? That's truly tragic. At the end of the day, all that heart and warrior spirit only amounts to profit, only has MEANING in terms of profit... What a sad world we live in.

Keep saying and perpetuating the "fact" that boxing is/or will always be a "business," and watch as it's continued to be run by the sleaziest individuals.

It has to get your blood boiling that someone with the heart of Manny Pacquiao is at the whim of someone like Bob Arum, or the expert craft of Rigondeaux accounts for nothing because he's not "entertaining" enough.

Comment

Originally posted by darius45 View Post
            Is boxing "just" entertainment? That's truly tragic. At the end of the day, all that heart and warrior spirit only amounts to profit, only has MEANING in terms of profit... What a sad world we live in.

Keep saying and perpetuating the "fact" that boxing is/or will always be a "business," and watch as it's continued to be run by the sleaziest individuals.

It has to get your blood boiling that someone with the heart of Manny Pacquiao is at the whim of someone like Bob Arum, or the expert craft of Rigondeaux accounts for nothing because he's not "entertaining" enough.
            Nothing is going to stop a fighter from continuing to fight.

However, if said fighter wants a paycheck, a big paycheck, hundreds of thousands, or millions? Well then, that said fighter has to offer more to the people willing to pay him that money.

But if the boxer doesnt care about money, and just wants to fight, nothing is stopping him.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              He has atleast 500,000 fans. Given how little they probably paid him for the appearance, the cost basis to keep him fighting on the network is fairly low, especially given the limited pool of fighters HBO now has to draw from.

Given that shutting him out of the network will just serve to make them look like dicks, and will probably lose them more subscribers than they will save in money paid to rigo for his appearances, its just posturing on their part to try and force rigo up in weight and into a rematch with donaire.
              LOL, delusional much. Rigo doesn't have anywhere close to 500k fans and I bet none that are going to cancel their subscription for him. And they are not shutting him out the simple thruth is that there is zero demand to watch him fight.

Let's make it simple so that even you can understand. You are a store owner and you bring in the world's greatest **** pie, you market the hell out of it, make an incredible display for it, put tons of money and effort to sell your **** pie. Yet you can't sell it, you have a couple of loyal **** pie purist that will even lick the plate yet you keep loosing tons of money. And you say to yourself, this is the world's greatest **** pie why can't I sell it and then it hits you, it is still a **** pie.
              Last edited by BMWM3P; 12-20-2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tase View Post
                "no rigo on hbo?!?!?!? Screw game of thrones, boardwalk empire, and movies."

they can have the midget on Thrones read a children's book for an hour and it would do better ratings than Rigo

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  they can have the midget on Thrones read a children's book for an hour and it would do better ratings than Rigo
                  That dude eat a single bite of steak for an hour and make it entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
                    Running....that your opinion. For someone that runs (which is your opinion, I don't share your believes) he sure does a lot of PPV buys, for someone who runs...he still the HIGHEST PAID ATHLETE on the Planet EARTH.

Money moves when he needs too (when he fought the Ghost) and stand in the pocket when he needs to (when he fought Canelo).
                    Running is not my opinion. I love watching Mayweather, Ward and Rigo. I love the way they dominate their opponents. I used "" because that what people in here say. Anthony Dirrell ran the last 10 seconds of his fight with Bika.

Comment

• I'm a Rigo fan. Understand that he's a non english speaking Cuban with a style that doesn't please most fans. But he's clearly the best in his division that should count for something. I don't know why HBO doesn't do what they did with GGG and put him in with a bunch of tomato cans to just pistol whip and KO that would get him som fans.

If HBO wanted him to be a star they could just put him with fighters to make him look good against and give him the proper push . The only thing that should matter is winning. And HBO has promoted lots of boxers that don't have a crowd pleasing style I didn't realize Devon Alexander put butts in seats. I'm sure they could if they wanted too but putting Rigo on the same night as a showtime card that was pretty stacked of course he's going to fail. Kind of BS didn't even give him a chance

Comment

Working...
                      X