No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs. Curtis Stevens Predictions & Info

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    And wasn't I right about Rigondeaux? I also recall getting mocked a lot beforehand for hyping him, breaking down the fight and such.

Rigondeaux had beaten multiple undefeated fighters, done rounds against a variety of styles, beaten a world champion & former world champion and that came to not just his style vs Donaires but the talent level was clear as day.

With Golovkin I see a guy feasting on bums. Look at his opponents win-loss-draw columns. He hasn't fought anybody undefeated! Not only guy who wasn't stopped before & usually a bag of times. Hes fighting nobodies with around a dozen losses and several by stoppage that aren't even ranked at this stage with that pedigree and you expect me to praise the guy?

Also to add all the above about Rigondeaux, a European champion as well and now hes unified and destroyed a top 10 P4P level fighter in only 12 pro fights where Golovkin has almost 3 times that and still hasn't fought a decent fighter, one guy who might of been top 10, majority of them totally unranked and several was light middleweight journeymen.
    What about GGG's amateur record? You just going to sweep that under the rug?

Comment

I just feel that everybody is blinded by this unproven power puncher. He has power, good placement, hes great at cutting a ring off, hes got good balance, he sets his shots up well but I am just not seeing what everybody is.
      I don't look at a guys strengths I look at their weaknesses and with Golovkin I don't feel his defense is good at all, I think he marks up very easily as well.
      No head movement, it gets me how much he hunches over & nobody even dares throw the uppercut hes so vulnerable to.
      Hes only getting away with such because the guys in front of him are duds.
      Look where his left glove is at all times. Look where his head is. Round 5 vs Rosado
      Hes nothing special. He sure as hell isn't what hes hyped upto be.
      You know he was sick on this fight night with Rosado, right? I just rewatched the 5th round. So here are Rosado's clean shots:
      1. right hand - 2:21
      2. jab - 2:10
      3. uppercut - 1:49
      4. right hook - 1:14
      5. left uppercut - 0:29
      Off course there were more Golovkin's clean shots in this round, but I see where you are coming from. What I want to stress here is that you can't ask from a pressure fighter Golovkin is to have Rigo's defense. Golovkin doesn't box from the back foot and thus has to take an acceptable risk and leave open spaces in his defense. I see you have a good eye since you spotted that 5th round, which was GGG's weakest round in that fight, but you are way too off when you say he's nothing special. Golovkin does possess intangibles in his defense, he makes subtle moves that minimize the risk of clean shots that he can eat. Maybe you should re-watch his fights, I don't know.

There are interesting statistics plus minus on compuboxonline site. Can't post the link, but here you can get an overall idea.
      Plus/minus rating determined by subtracting opponent’s connect pct. from listed fighter’s overall connect pct., which includes jab connect pct. & power punch connect pct.
      Golovkin is not yet there as he needs 5 recognizable fights but he will be after Nov 2. Currently he has the following stats:
      GG - Proksa 34-18 =+16%
      GG- Ishida 51-19 =+32%
      GG - Rosado 42-22 =+20%
      GG - Macklin 50-25 =+25%
      Which gives him a rating of +23% in average and a second place overall. Mayweather keeps the first place off course with +24%. GGG's defense statistically is good but you can always discount this due to the non-top level of his opponents. The only answer is let's wait and see.
      Last edited by ggg_kz; 10-30-2013, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        You were sold on the guy whose best win was Rico Ramos, and who struggled with Cordoba and Marroquin way worse than GGG vs Rosado. So you were right about one unproven guy. Maybe everyone else is right about the other unproven guy. It's not like you have some extra insight, you did a lot of hyping of Lucas and Chakhiev.
        Didn't you pick Donaire to decapitate him and debate for hours with me? May of been somebody else still
        You seen him struggle, I seen him adapt & opt to box and make Corboda look helpless and struggled with Marroquinn? He got hit with two shots from a puncher then proceeded to shut him out, dropping his ass several times on route to an easy U.D
        To me he answered a lot of questions in those fights.
        If he was struggling with journeymen from a division below I'd of likely shown more concern.

Both of those are still tremendous fighters and that is clearly evident and I still strongly believe that both can clear their divisions & they both put in very respectable performances against the #1
        A loss isn't the end but it will be when GGG losses as his fans will be straight onto the next.

I get the odd prediction wrong admittedly.

Comment

Originally posted by whytetittie View Post
          What about GGG's amateur record? You just going to sweep that under the rug?

He was a very good amateur, what more do you want me to say?

So was Mark Breland who didn't reach expectations as a pro.
          Stevens himself has 250+ wins and the third highest K.O ratio in amateur history.
          Marroquinn was a very good amateur with 300+ wins but hasn't lived upto much as a pro.
          Broner as well who Marroquinn has wins over again I don't think Broner is all that either.
          Audley Harrison won an olympic gold

Being a good or great amateur doesn't always translate to being a good pro.

Comment

He was a very good amateur, what more do you want me to say?

So was Mark Breland who didn't reach expectations as a pro.
            Stevens himself has 250+ wins and the third highest K.O ratio in amateur history.
            Marroquinn was a very good amateur with 300+ wins but hasn't lived upto much as a pro.
            Broner as well who Marroquinn has wins over again I don't think Broner is all that either.
            Audley Harrison won an olympic gold

Being a good or great amateur doesn't always translate to being a good pro.
            Who would GGG need to beat to prove he is a good fighter?

Or is that simply not possible since the other fighters are worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ggg_kz View Post
              You know he was sick on this fight night with Rosado, right? I just rewatched the 5th round. So here are Rosado's clean shots:
              1. right hand - 2:21
              2. jab - 2:10
              3. uppercut - 1:49
              4. right hook - 1:14
              5. left uppercut - 0:29
              Off course there were more Golovkin's clean shots in this round, but I see where you are coming from. What I want to stress here is that you can't ask from a pressure fighter Golovkin is to have Rigo's defense. Golovkin doesn't box from the back foot and thus has to take an acceptable risk and leave open spaces in his defense. I see you have a good eye since you spotted that 5th round, which was GGG's weakest round in that fight, but you are way too off when you say he's nothing special. Golovkin does possess intangibles in his defense, he makes subtle moves that minimize the risk of clean shots that he can eat. Maybe you should re-watch his fights, I don't know.

There are interesting statistics plus minus on compuboxonline site. Can't post the link, but here you can get an overall idea.
              Plus/minus rating determined by subtracting opponent’s connect pct. from listed fighter’s overall connect pct., which includes jab connect pct. & power punch connect pct.
              Golovkin is not yet there as he needs 5 recognizable fights but he will be after Nov 2. Currently he has the following stats:
              GG - Proksa 34-18 =+16%
              GG- Ishida 51-19 =+32%
              GG - Rosado 42-22 =+20%
              GG - Macklin 50-25 =+25%
              Which gives him a rating of +23% in average and a second place overall. Mayweather keeps the first place off course with +24%. GGG's defense statistically is good but you can always discount this due to the non-top level of his opponents. The only answer is let's wait and see.
              I just wasn't impressed and felt he looked fatigued & was missing badly, off balance and was clearly having problems with Rosado's movement. His handspeed doesn't impress me either. It could of got real interesting if Rosado put some combinations together. He was just throwing single shots & was too respectful.
              In fact I think that is how you beat him by moving & staying off the ropes, turning him. I think a good boxer, a Pirog maybe a Jacobs would expose him. Golovkin has serious power though so hes always going to have a chance.

Compubox, seriously? and of course hes got stats like that when every opponent fights extremely negatively and he destroys them in a few rounds.

Comment

Didn't you pick Donaire to decapitate him and debate for hours with me? May of been somebody else still
                You seen him struggle, I seen him adapt & opt to box and make Corboda look helpless and struggled with Marroquinn? He got hit with two shots from a puncher then proceeded to shut him out, dropping his ass several times on route to an easy U.D
                To me he answered a lot of questions in those fights.
                If he was struggling with journeymen from a division below I'd of likely shown more concern.

Both of those are still tremendous fighters and that is clearly evident and I still strongly believe that both can clear their divisions & they both put in very respectable performances against the #1
                A loss isn't the end but it will be when GGG losses as his fans will be straight onto the next.

I get the odd prediction wrong admittedly.
                I think Rosado may have landed a total of 2 decent punches on GGG that he barely felt, not like Rigo getting shaken twice and going the distance. So if GGG struggled with Rosado, Rigo struggled worse with this guy who was at no point top 10 in any division, and is really going nowhere. Cordoba, well not much to say cause I don't wanna look like I'm hating on Rigo when I'm just pointing out your double standards.

Yeah those 2 fighters are not hypejobs and have a future in the sport (more? for Rakhim), but they're clearly much cruder than GGG and not as good. Seems like you're bipolar, either all out brawler or all out slickster is cool with you, nothing in between

Comment

Originally posted by whytetittie View Post
                  Who would GGG need to beat to prove he is a good fighter?

Or is that simply not possible since the other fighters are worse but that doesnt make GGG all that great.

I'd give him props if he beat Pirog, maybe Jacobs. I'm not saying Barker wins but I think hes got the skills and the boxing brain to give him a tough fight. I'd like to see that one.

I don't know, I'd probably give him a bit more respect if he was fighting just about anybody than the guys he is. Proksa, Ishida, Fuchigami

Comment

Not really GGG's fault about Pirog.

Comment

I'd give him props if he beat Pirog, maybe Jacobs. I'm not saying Barker wins but I think hes got the skills and the boxing brain to give him a tough fight. I'd like to see that one.

I don't know, I'd probably give him a bit more respect if he was fighting just about anybody than the guys he is. Proksa, Ishida, Fuchigami
                      He has made offers to fight better to be fair. I'm not someone who thinks the world is ducking him but the offers have been made and for what ever reason the fights haven't come off yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X