No announcement yet.

Power, where does it come from...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeepItObjective View Post
    With all other factors being equal i'm convinced that it plays a part.
    Yes, indeed, I'm sure it plays a part, but as with any complex system it's hard to say how much of a part.
    Dammit, I hate fence sitters, but I've a feeling I'm getting splinters in my ass. LOL
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 09-07-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
      Most of the power is generated from the hips in a technique standpoint, but obviously more factors are involved.
      Hips you say.....

Sorry, that gif of yours is rather distracting. You coulda, in fact, chosen it specifically for that post.
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T18Z View Post
        I think it's a combination of many things, FAR too many to count.

I think correct lining of muscle fibers, muscle density, genes, confidence, thought processes, technique, balance, proper rotation of the body, foot placement, weight shifting, knuckle placement, speed, commitment to the punch, angle, bone density and many many more lol.
        Also timing, leverage and accuracy play a big part. But at the end of the day, devastating power is a mystery.

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        Both GGG and Kovalev tho have specifically said they don't focus on muscle or power building in their training
        Golovkin does a lot of strength training, but he focuses on gaining strength rather than size.

Comment

Power is part of your natural ability, A guy like Amir Khan will never have devastating power, and whereas someone as small as Scott Quigg generates so much of it.

I believe it has allot to do with technique also, but a big factor I personally think is that amount of power you can generate from your legs, big tree trunk legs (muscle may I add) generally lead to a much heavier punch. A skinny guy would rely solely on his upper torso and shoulder to throw a punch, whereas a guy with strong heavy legs can benefit off both his legs and upper body.

Mike Tyson
          Naseem Hamed
          Golovkin
          Pacman

All had/have some pretty bulky leg muscle and they can all bang!

Comment

"chin, where does it come from..." -seth mitchell

Comment

Originally posted by Badzi1987 View Post
              Power is part of your natural ability, A guy like Amir Khan will never have devastating power, and whereas someone as small as Scott Quigg generates so much of it.

I believe it has allot to do with technique also, but a big factor I personally think is that amount of power you can generate from your legs, big tree trunk legs (muscle may I add) generally lead to a much heavier punch. A skinny guy would rely solely on his upper torso and shoulder to throw a punch, whereas a guy with strong heavy legs can benefit off both his legs and upper body.

Mike Tyson
              Naseem Hamed
              Golovkin
              Pacman

All had/have some pretty bulky leg muscle and they can all bang!
              And yet.....Tommy Hearns had some of the skinniest wheels you'll ever see on a Welter.

Comment

natural in born. if you do not have one punch ko power in your prime you certainly will not have it at the end of your career, no amount of practice, technique will improve it, especially at 39. unless you go unnatural and hire an Olympic quality undetectable PEDs dealer.

Comment

Leverage & timing are things you cannot teach. How to whip that arm to generate maximum force from the fist...and to connect at the optimum time for maximum impact.

Comment

Hmm that's a good question, obviously it's easy to say how it's generated in general, but as you say some people seem to possess it without appearing to have any physical advantages you might associate with it. . . Manny for example, has big calves, you can see his power is generated from the legs, and typically you'd expect it to come from his legs up through his hips and into his shoulders. . . Matthysse though doesn't appear to be particularly broad in any part of his body, but when you see him throw you see him step in properly to those punches, they're not the fasted punches, but they are well timed, accurate and have his entire body behind them, all 140 pounds haha.

I think it is something you can work on to a point, but some people are also born with it.

Comment

You are born with it but it comes from your base. Look at all the real 1 punch KO artists... They all have big thighs & calves... You have to have a solid base.

Comment

Working...
                      X