Power, where does it come from...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technique.

Comment

Most of the power is generated from the hips in a technique standpoint, but obviously more factors are involved.

Comment

There's different kinds of power

Heavy hands
        Thudding power
        Technique
        Speed equals power

Comment

Punching power comes from being able to lift your body weight numerous times(pull ups),good punching technique,and most importantly hitting the heavy bsiag for hours.Heard every six months Rocky would increase the weight of his heavy bag by 50 pounds until he was hitting 450 pounds for hours daily,plus he would do 300 pull ups.

Comment

ive notice that people who are heavy handed have very thick bones. but i belive that the legs play a big role, and thats where the power starts from.

Comment

It is something you are born with. Trust me there are guys that hit you and you can feel the weight of the punch. And then you look at them and they are not the biggest or have the best technique.

Comment

Originally posted by KeepItObjective View Post
                I was thinking of making a thread on my theory but here is a post on it. A lot of studies have been done on the effects of prenatal testosterone exposure and personality and physical traits. A good measure of how much testosterone you were exposed to is the ratio of length in comparison to your right index and ring finger. The longer your ring finger is in comparison to your index finger is the lower your 'digit ratio' is and the more testosterone you have been exposed to during development in the womb.

The digit ratio has been correlated with grip strength, willingness to exercise, endurance, sprinting speed, aggressiveness and free testosterone during sporting events, I believe there is probably a link between the ratio and a boxers speed and power, Pacquiao I have noticed has a really long ring finger. Elite athletes have been shown to have a longer ring to index finger ratio i.e. endurance athletes, soccer players, skiiers etc, I'm convinced you will find a correlation between this ratio and speed and power.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17420996

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20981610

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11182575

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21993037
                I've heard of this correlation, and there may be something in it with relation to speed and power, but raw speed and power are not what makes KO punchers, though they are obviously an ingredient. Prenatal testosterone exposure levels have also been linked to anti-social behaviour and criminal activity, but similarly the key factors lie elsewhere (typically social and domestic factors (wealth differentials and parenting)).

The mix between genetic factors, prenatal development and post natal learning remains far too opaque to ascribe individual talents to one or another influence, and certainly physical factors (phenotypes) such as finger length are no more effective a guide to a persons ability (or even potential) than the pseudoscience of phrenology which died out a century or more ago.
                Last edited by Citizen Koba; 09-07-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

i think commitment to the punch and the idea of punching "through" the target plays a big part too. when i sparred, i noticed that i automatically pulled my punches a little the second i make contact. and it wasn't just in sparring, i noticed it on the heavy bag as well. i would swing hard and fast but it's like my brain triggers my arms to not follow through. i guess big punchers don't have that trigger which allows them to use 100% of their punching power.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                    I've heard of this correlation, and there may be something in it with relation to speed and power, but raw speed and power are not what makes KO punchers, though they are obviously an ingredient. Prenatal testosterone exposure levels have also been linked to anti-social behaviour and criminal activity, but similarly the key factors lie elsewhere (typically social and domestic factors (wealth differentials and parenting)).

The mix between genetic factors, prenatal development and post natal learning remains far too opaque to ascribe individual talents to one or another influence, and certainly physical factors such as finger length are no more effective a guide to a persons ability (or even potential) than the pseudoscience of phrenology which died out a century or more ago.
                    With all other factors being equal i'm convinced that it plays a part.

Comment

A fighter's balls.

Comment

Working...
                      X