No announcement yet.

Why doesnt boxing get any mainstream publicity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ManUtd626 View Post
    I know that there is spanish coverage on espn deportes but where is the african american coverage of boxing (channels/websites)?
    Politely said,"I don't give a **** about the UFC or MMA,period." Boxing is healthy and alive and well in the US. I have been to many live events and there is a boxing revival going on so to speak as the product is that good.

US TV :

EPSN 2 FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS

EPIX..MOSTLY KO BROS AND HW

WEALTH TV...MOSTLY EURO FIGHTS

FOX 1..GBP 24 MONDAY NIGHT CARDS

FOX..GBP

COMMCAST SPORTS..LOCAL SHOWS AND SOUTHERN CIRCUIT

DIRECTV..BUYING MORE

HBO..MOVING TO TRIPLE HEADER FORMATS FOR CARDS AND MORE EXPOSURE FOR YOUNGER STARS

SHOWTIME...GBP CHAMPIONSHIP CARDS AND SHOWBOX ON FRIDAYS

SHOWTIME EXTREME..SHOWING NEW TALENT AND UP AND COMING FIGHTERS

NBC SPORTS...BOUGHT TON OF CARDS FOR 2013-2016 AT $150-$250 K BUDGET PER CARD AND ALREADY EXTENDED 2017

NBS SPORTS FUTURE STARS..SHOWCASING YOUNGER FIGHTERS

NBC...3-4 MAJOR CARDS PER YEAR ON NBC NOW

MSG..DIBELLA BROADWAY BOXING

UNIMAS AND OTHER SPANISH STATIONS...SHOWCASING YOUNG LATIN TALENT

CBS Sports launched their new channel and should have live cards on IN 2014.

The future of boxing looks great in US.

Comment

Not a big enough fanbase. Especially compared to baseball, basketball, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GRboxing View Post
        Not a big enough fanbase. Especially compared to baseball, basketball, etc.
        That's true, it's like in the UK, football, cricket and rugby all get more coverage than boxing but it's hard for a sport to get more coverage than something which is team based and reliant on constant support.
        Boxing probably has 2-3 MAJOR events per year and a tonne of good cards put on that either end up being inconsequential or have guys who have little support out side of the hardcore fan base.

Speaking about the UK only, I think boxing is doing a lot better here than it was in the 80s and I'm sure boxing is in a better place then it was post 2001 in the US.

Comment

Boxing has q huge fan base. Its just its on such niche channels nobody can watch it. 50 million fans and 15 million avid fans. That's why we get around 1 mill views on HBO and St but get tens of mills for ppv events. Anyone can order ppv, its not restricted to a single network.

Comment

@marvelousmatt thanks for the list. I wish they had more advertisement of their boxing programming.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
              31 events last year. Why are you counting episodes of a reality show as an event?

GBP has 24 events on FS1 alone this year.

UFC put on 31 events in 2012, 27 in 2011 of which 16 were PPV 60%

http://themmacorner.com/2013/06/05/b...ents-per-year/

14 were PPV. Thats roughly 48% of shows on PPV. So we were both off, but I was closer :bukkake:
              You make good points,,
              I do count the reality shows, because they show live fights, and are used to build fighters names,, UFC has had tremendous amount of success using that show as a springboard for fighters to make a name,,,

UFC is slowly moving away from PPVs,, or at least trimming back and using them for just the big fights for the most part,,,,

GPB can do as many free shows as they want,,, its all crap, and doesnt do anything for the sport,,,
              Will a maidana, broner, ghost, floyd, khan etc be on any of the shows in a fight,,, nope,,,
              Its all prospects vs bums in showcase fights,,,
              UFC at least gives you top level fighters and fights on their free shows,,,
              I wish GBP and TR would do the same,,,,,,
              That would help build the sport back up to where it should be,,,,IMO

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
                Politely said,"I don't give a **** about the UFC or MMA,period." Boxing is healthy and alive and well in the US. I have been to many live events and there is a boxing revival going on so to speak as the product is that good.

US TV :

EPSN 2 FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS

EPIX..MOSTLY KO BROS AND HW

WEALTH TV...MOSTLY EURO FIGHTS

FOX 1..GBP 24 MONDAY NIGHT CARDS

FOX..GBP

COMMCAST SPORTS..LOCAL SHOWS AND SOUTHERN CIRCUIT

DIRECTV..BUYING MORE

HBO..MOVING TO TRIPLE HEADER FORMATS FOR CARDS AND MORE EXPOSURE FOR YOUNGER STARS

SHOWTIME...GBP CHAMPIONSHIP CARDS AND SHOWBOX ON FRIDAYS

SHOWTIME EXTREME..SHOWING NEW TALENT AND UP AND COMING FIGHTERS

NBC SPORTS...BOUGHT TON OF CARDS FOR 2013-2016 AT $150-$250 K BUDGET PER CARD AND ALREADY EXTENDED 2017

NBS SPORTS FUTURE STARS..SHOWCASING YOUNGER FIGHTERS

NBC...3-4 MAJOR CARDS PER YEAR ON NBC NOW

MSG..DIBELLA BROADWAY BOXING

UNIMAS AND OTHER SPANISH STATIONS...SHOWCASING YOUNG LATIN TALENT

CBS Sports launched their new channel and should have live cards on IN 2014.

The future of boxing looks great in US.

That all looks good on paper,,
                but in terms of free tv and regular cable,,,

All the big fights will happen on either hbo or showtime or ppv,,,

Anything you get on actual cable is mismatches and tune-ups,, and never any big names like broner, GGG, ortiz, canelo, maidana, khan, bradley etc that would draw big numbers and help the younger fighters on the undercard build their name,,,

I will agree that over the past 2 years, boxing has improved its outlets, but now they just need to improve the matches on these shows,,,, then hopefully the mainstream will slowly get back into boxing instead of just focusing on floyd and manny

Comment

I'm totally fine with Boxing not being mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    YEs, but they arent paying for it,,, when espn brings in people to interveiw, its very similar to when someone goes on jay leno or letterman to promote their own movie,,, they arent paying for it,,, ESPN doesnt sell interviews,, they will sell you everything else like promotions, ads, sponsorships etc, but they arent getting paid to do interviews, much like how nobody pays to get on the tonight show or conan obrien,,, ESPN obviously wants ratings so they try and cover what is current,,, but they arent selling it,,,

Nobody is paying them to put ortiz and rampage on air,,,, like i said, its similar to going on the tonight show or letterman,,,, ESPN gets live interview and hopefully ratings, and the guys get some publicity,, its a win win for everyone involved,,,
                    MMA has a slower growth rate than it did 10 years ago,,, it much like a stock like apple,,, Apple wasnt worth crap in the late 90's, much like mma, then got hot with ipad, itunes, etc and stock soared for a decade, much like mma, but then everyone that was going to buy apple products has bought them so they have slower growth which in the last year hurt their stock, even though it was rebounded yet,,, It is known as a mature stock instead of a growth stock now, because it will still grow but just very slowly, much like mma,, it grew fast, everyone knows about it,, but now they are stagnant and not growing as fast,, but they are still growing, and still make money but it takes decades to surpass other sports,, baseball was huge, and it took the nba and nfl decades to surpass them... same thing with mma,,, it may have lost its hot growth but its still a tremendously successful sport and isnt going anywhere anytime soon

Real boxing fans yes,,,,, but casual mainstream fans,, the ones that watch fights on cbs and other free channels would be bored to death with an alexander fight,,

I know this is devon,, so please just log off and keep training for the khan fight,,, he might be the only one to make you look exciting,,,

ppv buys, which are the best means to measure success in the UFC, have gone down. the guy that generated the biggest PPV dates for the UFC was brock lesnar. only three of their biggest PPV of all time ahve come in the last three years, and only one didn't involve lesnar. it's also speculated quite frequently, and from learned sources, that the UFC pads their PPV numbers like crazy.

i'm not saying that mma is dying, only that it's losing a lot of it's steam. it will become a niche sport like boxing once the initial buzz dies out completely.

Comment

ESPN can't show actual footage or they get sued I believe people also got tired of not seeing big fights that rarely happen ABC used to show fights every week on wide world of sports and big fights at that but it all went to HBO and SHOWTIME and for the average fan to come back they need either free fights to watch and or big names facing off for free not PPV that might bring back casual fans and popularize more names and make espn cover more

Comment

Working...
                      X