Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesnt boxing get any mainstream publicity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure how much non-Mnany/Floyd coverage of boxing there is in the US but over the last 5 or 6 years Sky has made a huge push for boxing, there's definitely a growing interest AND mainstream appeal, especially post Olympics. I musta seen dozens of new kids come to my gym in that time.

Boxing had a lot of mainstream appeal in the 90s too, what with Naz, Eubank and Benn...a little bit of Lewis too.

I think boxing is doing better than ever in the UK and parts of Europe. In the US the story seems bleak though, with some of their top talent not being well known, unless your Floyd Mayweather, even then he isn't as big as Ali, Tyson, Leonard or Oscar in their primes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
      MMA isnt on espn anymore then boxing. Not sure what you are talking about. Floyd Manny Bhop and others have been on espn numerous times.That may be true,, but the sport in general doesnt get enough coverage,, the mares fight was huge boxing news, and only got a line at the bottom of the screen

Also you said mma is accesible on free tv? How do. 75% of their shoes are on ppv.

Your wrong about this,, yes that was true a decade ago but now ppvs are roughly only about 20% of UFC shows, and if you count other mma promotions the number drops to about 3-4%....... UFC has a very lucrative contract with fox to show live fights, in total about 20 shows a year split between fueltv, fox, foxsports, and FX,,,, and thats not even including the 2 seasons a year of ultimate fighter,,, or bellator's fight game.......
      MMA has a much bigger presence on free tv than boxing,,,,, You can actually watch meaningful fights on these cards, and us boxing fans are left with crappy FNF and sometimes the occasion good fight on nbcsports like fury-cunningham,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        [/B]

Your wrong about this,, yes that was true a decade ago but now ppvs are roughly only about 20% of UFC shows, and if you count other mma promotions the number drops to about 3-4%....... UFC has a very lucrative contract with fox to show live fights, in total about 20 shows a year split between fueltv, fox, foxsports, and FX,,,, and thats not even including the 2 seasons a year of ultimate fighter,,, or bellator's fight game.......
        MMA has a much bigger presence on free tv than boxing,,,,, You can actually watch meaningful fights on these cards, and us boxing fans are left with crappy FNF and sometimes the occasion good fight on nbcsports like fury-cunningham,,,,,
        20%? You are so full of it I don't even know where to begin. Gbp alone has more free shows on fs1 then all free ufc shows combined.

Comment

20%? You are so full of it I don't even know where to begin. Gbp alone has more free shows on fs1 then all free ufc shows combined.
          yes its about 20%,,, UFC now does about 8-10 ppvs a year,,,and they do about 26 live shows with actual meaningful fight... and thats not including the prelim shows for the ppvs, plus the facebook fights,,,,,

GPB does crap shows,,, quick name the main events of these shows,,, name one title fight on that show,, name one big name that was on these shows,,

On the UFC free shows, i have seen the heavyweight title on defense and actually change hands, and have seen numerous other title fights and eliminators with numerous big names like rashad evans, cheal sonnen, shogun, machida, rampage, cain, dos santos, faber, etc.....

To compare the crappy GBP shows to to actual competitive meaningful cards the UFC puts on is laughable,,,,,

once again, please name the title fights, and main event fighters showcased on these free GBP shows

Comment

ESPN,always covers boxing,hell Friday night fights is on ESPN...

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
              ESPN,always covers boxing,hell Friday night fights is on ESPN...
              ESPN doesn't talk boxing except for 20 second recaps of some important fights and Pac and Floyd. Even if they're talking to someone who isn't Pac or Floyd, they find a way to talk about them.

Friday Night Fights isn't much compared to the coverage every other sport gets.

Comment

yes its about 20%,,, UFC now does about 8-10 ppvs a year,,,and they do about 26 live shows with actual meaningful fight... and thats not including the prelim shows for the ppvs, plus the facebook fights,,,,,

GPB does crap shows,,, quick name the main events of these shows,,, name one title fight on that show,, name one big name that was on these shows,,

On the UFC free shows, i have seen the heavyweight title on defense and actually change hands, and have seen numerous other title fights and eliminators with numerous big names like rashad evans, cheal sonnen, shogun, machida, rampage, cain, dos santos, faber, etc.....

To compare the crappy GBP shows to to actual competitive meaningful cards the UFC puts on is laughable,,,,,

once again, please name the title fights, and main event fighters showcased on these free GBP shows
                They did 32 shows last year. 16ppv. You do the math.

Comment

They did 32 shows last year. 16ppv. You do the math.
                  thats not 70% like you claimed, and they did more than 32 shows last year,,,
                  32 shows is about the equal to the amount of ultimate fighter episodes they have over the 2 seasons per year, and all of those show fights,, plus all the prelims,, plus the fights on fueltv, fox, foxsports1, and fx,,,,
                  plus they replay like crazy all the time on foxsports, which isnt the case for boxing,, yes they will replay classic boxing stuff but not so much modern stuff like bradley-manny or floyd-ghost,,,

and like i asked before, what fights have GBP shown for free,,, what were those great main events or name fighters that were on for free,,, UFC has shown title fights, and eliminators and big name fighters,, what has GBP shown or any boxing promoter,,, I did like the nbcsport fights when it was fury-cunningham,, that is a step in the right direction for boxing

Comment

Originally posted by LasVegas Boxing View Post
                    I understand where you are coming from about the lack of coverage of Boxing on ESPN but Mayweather-Canelo, Marquez-Bradley and Pacquiao-Rios will have far greater coverage on ESPN than Rampage-Ortiz and each event will have far more ppv buys. Boxing has a lot of coverage in America just not much mainstream coverage. Most Boxing coverage is outlets that hit the Latino and African American communities.

I know that there is spanish coverage on espn deportes but where is the african american coverage of boxing (channels/websites)?

Comment

thats not 70% like you claimed, and they did more than 32 shows last year,,,
                      32 shows is about the equal to the amount of ultimate fighter episodes they have over the 2 seasons per year, and all of those show fights,, plus all the prelims,, plus the fights on fueltv, fox, foxsports1, and fx,,,,
                      plus they replay like crazy all the time on foxsports, which isnt the case for boxing,, yes they will replay classic boxing stuff but not so much modern stuff like bradley-manny or floyd-ghost,,,

and like i asked before, what fights have GBP shown for free,,, what were those great main events or name fighters that were on for free,,, UFC has shown title fights, and eliminators and big name fighters,, what has GBP shown or any boxing promoter,,, I did like the nbcsport fights when it was fury-cunningham,, that is a step in the right direction for boxing
                      31 events last year. Why are you counting episodes of a reality show as an event?

GBP has 24 events on FS1 alone this year.

UFC put on 31 events in 2012, 27 in 2011 of which 16 were PPV 60%

http://themmacorner.com/2013/06/05/b...ents-per-year/

14 were PPV. Thats roughly 48% of shows on PPV. So we were both off, but I was closer :bukkake:

Comment

Working...
                      X