How many of you think that Angulo quit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
    yeah.

Regarding quitting-how would Angulo have had a chance for the doctor to look at his injury without hurting his chances to win?

In the achilles/acl example-the player hurt doesn't hurt himself or the team when getting checked. If he's hurt on the field play stops and he is attended to.

In angulo's case he really has only 2 options-take a knee which costs him a KD or turn his back. Even if he takes a knee there is no guarantee the dr looks at him.

How can this be rectified?
    It is on the ref to stop action if he feels a fighter has an injury bad enough that the DR needs to look at it. It's a fight by fight, ref by ref, DR by Dr basis. In this scenario, it's unfortunate for Angulo the ref didn't call time.

However, that isn't the topic at hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by pistol whip
      But again you are using it as a means to criticize the boxer.
      Your opinion, not fact.

I am simply stating what IS, and Ive also said I couldnt of proceeded myself.

Yeah you are using "correct" English
      I was under the impression that's the type you are supposed to use.

You want it to harm Angulo's reputation
      Your opinion, nothing more.

Stop pretending to be oblivious to the fact that the word quit in the world of Boxing is codeword for calling someone a coward.
      I don't care what label you associate it with.

It IS what it IS... What happened, is what happened. And, what happened is Angulo quit because the pain was too much.

That is just a FACT, and there is no opinion or judgement associated with it.

Thats why people are reacting to your statements and thats why Im accusing you of just being a troll.
      They can react however they want to. The subject of the thread is if Angulo quit... Ive not just said he's a quitter, but explained it about 10 times now. Also, your accusation means nothing to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
        Good post. In three paragraphs the word "quit" was not used by this poster either.
        Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Ok, is what he did technically quitting..sure. You and I both know what that word means and what boxing fans take it as. Let's use the word in the proper context and he didn't take a knee, didn't say no mas, and didn't just refuse to fight. He was seriously injured, not hurt...injured.
        Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
        He quit because it was paintful... spoken directly after the fight from the doctor.

It HURT, it was PAINFUL... that is a matter of heart to fight through the pain.

Tearing your ACL and literally not being able physically walk, or your achilles and not being able to run... those are ACTUAL injuries that do not allow you proceed with your sport.

He had a broken orbital bone... it was a matter of pain tolerance... his legs, arms and vision still worked.
        The word "quit" has certain negative implications. Those implications are what have some of us taking issue with the use of that particular word. My position is simple. I certainly acknowledge that Angulo quit. I consciously chose not to use the word an earlier post because I don't perceive what Alfredo did as being dishonorable in any way.

Those that want to say Angulo quit have every right to do so. The problem I have with it is that most of those people want to promote the idea that "Perro" stopped fighting due to lack of heart, will, etc. I don't believe that to be the case. It comes down to trust. I trust that "Perro" would've fought on, had it been at all possible or advisable.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
          You don't have to like the word, however that's what happened.
          I don't like the word, and that's what happened according to YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
            I don't like the word, and that's what happened according to YOU.
            No, that's actually what happened, bro.

Comment

It is on the ref to stop action if he feels a fighter has an injury bad enough that the DR needs to look at it. It's a fight by fight, ref by ref, DR by Dr basis. In this scenario, it's unfortunate for Angulo the ref didn't call time.

However, that isn't the topic at hand.
              true but it goes to the cross sport comparison you made. An achilles or a acl tear would cause the dr to stop the player from going on everytime. Angulo and other boxers don't have that luxury.

Its just hard for me to call what angulo did quitting. He clearly was too hurt to fight, especially because he doesn't have the foot speed or lateral movement like a paulie to avoid getting hit. Angulo fights only one way so for me his broken orbital bone is the equivalent of the acl tear or an achilles-he cant perform.

Comment

If I gave another fighter that some injury, say like a Brandon Rios or an Antonio Margarito... theres a 50/50 chance they don't just turn around and walk to their corner, but they fight through it.

He quit because of pain tolerance.... the injury itself doesn't stop you frmo walking forward, or throwing punches, and he still could see out of his other eye.

Now, that sounds BRUTAL to say... and Im certainly not saying ID fight through it.... but this is the fight game, price fighting... these fighters make HUGE money to get in that ring and fight through it all... so they are held to much higher standards.

There are other fighters that would of fought through the pain in the history of this sport. That injury did not HINDER him from proceeding, his personal pain tolerance did... which means he quit, he stopped, he decided to turn around and say no mas... it hurts too much.
                You can take this answer...ball it up and throw it in the garbage, lmfao! Hilarious!

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  The word "quit" has certain negative implications. Those implications are what have some of us taking issue with the use of that particular word. My position is simple. I certainly acknowledge that Angulo quit. I consciously chose not to use the word an earlier post because I don't perceive what Alfredo did as being dishonorable in any way.

Those that want to say Angulo quit have every right to do so. The problem I have with it is that most of those people want to promote the idea that "Perro" stopped fighting due to lack of heart, will, etc. I don't believe that to be the case. It comes down to trust. I trust that "Perro" would've fought on, had it been at all possible or advisable.
                  i agree with your thoughts here. Duran quit-he was frustrated and gave up. Angulo didn't do that in the Lara fight. Angulo was injured and the injury made it impossible for him to fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    true but it goes to the cross sport comparison you made. An achilles or a acl tear would cause the dr to stop the player from going on everytime. Angulo and other boxers don't have that luxury.

Its just hard for me to call what angulo did quitting. He clearly was too hurt to fight, especially because he doesn't have the foot speed or lateral movement like a paulie to avoid getting hit. Angulo fights only one way so for me his broken orbital bone is the equivalent of the acl tear or an achilles-he cant perform.
                    Agreed, it is undoubtedly the least forgiving sport. However, when the reason for quitting given is a pain tolerance factor, i.e. "it hurts too much, So Im done" I hate to say it is, but that is quitting. I honestly believe if Miguel Cotto caused the same exact injury/pain on Antonio Margarito, he would not of quit. I believe there's a difference betweem not physically being able to continue, such as a broken leg.... or not wanting to continue because of intense pain. You can't walk on a broken leg no matter how much you want to, you can however fight through pain. We are not all created equal and some of us can handle different tolerance. You aren't a ****** person, so I know you get what im saying.

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
                    You can take this answer...ball it up and throw it in the garbage, lmfao! Hilarious!
                    Once upon a time, You had no retort.

The end.

Comment

• Originally posted by pistol whip
                      Dude come on now man thats a whole lot of backpeddling nonsense right there. ***ing troll!!!
                      That will be the last time you sling a name at me.

Comment

Working...
                      X