Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 best Latin American fighters of all time. Curious thing is that...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    Jofre was great, but he fought all but a handful of times in his native Brazil. Indeed, of his 74 fights, his only two losses happened in Japan. I would place "Finito" Lopez over him, and I don't think even Ricardo belongs in the top-five. With all due respect, De La Hoya appears the pick of a fan fairly new to the sport. And Rigondeaux was clearly thrown in as a joke.
    I felt he won both of those loss's.

And there is absolutely no way Ricardo Lopez is ranked head of Eder Jorfre.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC
      Quote:

Originally Posted by DempseyRollin

ive seen the likes of rigondeaux and dlh mentioned but only one person mentions jofre, arguably the greatest latin american fighter of all time?? i dont even...

Jofre was great, but he fought all but a handful of times in his native Brazil. Indeed, of his 74 fights, his only two losses happened in Japan. I would place "Finito" Lopez over him, and I don't think even Ricardo belongs in the top-five. With all due respect, De La Hoya appears the pick of a fan fairly new to the sport. And Rigondeaux was clearly thrown in as a joke.
      Why do people consider Brazilians Latinos? Am I missing something here?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post

From Wikipedia:

Latino (/læˈtinoʊ/ or /ləˈtinoʊ/)[1] is a term used chiefly in the United States to refer to people of Latin American extraction or descent, though the term has also been incorrectly used as a synonym for Hispanic. Hispanic is a narrower term which only refers to persons of Spanish-speaking origin or ancestry, while "Latino" is more frequently used to refer more generally to anyone of Latin American origin or ancestry, including Brazilians.

Comment

1. Monzon/Chavez
          3. Barrera
          4. Sanchez
          5. Gomez

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            I felt he won both of those loss's.

And there is absolutely no way Ricardo Lopez is ranked head of Eder Jorfre.
            I defer to your expertise on these matters, Dan, so I won't argue Jofre versus Lopez; but I do believe that a fighter's greatness is diminished when they fought nearly all their bouts in their home country. (With apologies to all non-Americans, the only exception to this rule is if a boxer only fought in the United States.)

What is your list?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC
              Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

From Wikipedia:

Latino (/læˈtinoʊ/ or /ləˈtinoʊ/)[1] is a term used chiefly in the United States to refer to people of Latin American extraction or descent, though the term has also been incorrectly used as a synonym for Hispanic. Hispanic is a narrower term which only refers to persons of Spanish-speaking origin or ancestry, while "Latino" is more frequently used to refer more generally to anyone of Latin American origin or ancestry, including Brazilians.
              Hmm I see. I guess I just misuse the word. When I say latinos I mean Hispanics, bad habit I suppose. I usually approach people and ask if they're spanish instead of Hispanic/latino.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby
                1. Monzon/Chavez 3. Barrera 4. Sanchez 5. Gomez
                I love Sanchez but you can't list him and not Duran bro. Same thing with Barrera.

Comment

I love Sanchez but you can't list him and not Duran bro. Same thing with Barrera.

Shyt forgot about Duran

1.Chavez/Monzon
                  3.Duran

4.Barrera
                  5.Sanchez

Comment

The term Latino is wrong in describing everyone from "Latin America" but if you go by that definition, Brazilians are most definitely Latinos.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520
                      Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

The term Latino is wrong in describing everyone from "Latin America" but if you go by that definition, Brazilians are most definitely Latinos.
                      Yea. Nothing against Brazilians cause they're cool as **** but I never felt comfortable when people call them latinos. Aren't they made up mostly of Europeans, Africans and some Asian?

Hell, I'd say Filipinos are more "latino" than Brazilians.

Comment

Working...
                      X