Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 best Latin American fighters of all time. Curious thing is that...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

I love Sanchez but you can't list him and not Duran bro. Same thing with Barrera.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Shyt forgot about Duran

1.Chavez/Monzon
    3.Duran

4.Barrera
    5.Sanchez
    Maybe its my love for Duran but he'd be #1 on that list for me. Duran was the **** man haha. Wish I was around to witness him live.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
      Yea. Nothing against Brazilians cause they're cool as **** but I never felt comfortable when people call them latinos. Aren't they made up mostly of Europeans, Africans and some Asian?

Hell, I'd say Filipinos are more "latino" than Brazilians.

and how is that different from most other latin american nations?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
        Kid Gavilan does not belong in the top 5 latin fighters of all time. Rigondeaux either.
        Kid Gavilan, without a shadow of a doubt, is one of the top-five greatest Latino boxers of all time. The "Keed" fought long after his prime, but he was never stopped or even dropped. His final record was 108-30-5, but he went 10-17-1 in his last 28 fights. Gavilan is commonly considered one of the greatest welterweights of all time. He beat HOFers like Beau Jack, Billy Graham, Chuck Davey, Ike Williams, Carmen Basilio, and Gaspar Ortega. Gavilan went 25 total rounds with prime Ray Robinson, losing a controversial first meeting. In the fifties, when boxing enjoyed real popularity, "The Cuban Hawk" was a star on prime-time television. He's a legend.

Rigondeaux, as I said earlier, was mentioned in jest. But, in all seriousness, if "El Chacal" had turned pro at a young age, we might've been discussing his greatness in such a conversation a few years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by THE_FORKLIFT View Post
          my time:

JCC

Morales

JMM

Martinez

Barrera

Is this your top 5 latin or your top 5 mexicans

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
            and how is that different from most other latin american nations?
            A lot of us have some "spaniard" blood in us. Spanish is not even the primary language in Brazil...

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Kid Gavilan, without a shadow of a doubt, is one of the top-five greatest Latino boxers of all time. The "Keed" fought long after his prime, but he was never stopped or even dropped. His final record was 108-30-5, but he went 10-17-1 in his last 28 fights. Gavilan is commonly considered one of the greatest welterweights of all time. He beat HOFers like Beau Jack, Billy Graham, Chuck Davey, Ike Williams, Carmen Basilio, and Gaspar Ortega. Gavilan went 25 total rounds with prime Ray Robinson, losing a controversial first meeting. In the fifties, when boxing enjoyed real popularity, "The Cuban Hawk" was a star on prime-time television. He's a legend.

Rigondeaux, as I said earlier, was mentioned in jest. But, in all seriousness, if "El Chacal" had turned pro at a young age, we might've been discussing his greatness in such a conversation a few years from now.
              or he would have been just like Casamayor. If he would of turn pro earlier he would had to fight Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Hamed, even Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC
                Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ducketts

Kid Gavilan does not belong in the top 5 latin fighters of all time. Rigondeaux either.

Don't mind Sucketts. In his eyes you have to speak English AND be black.

The fact that I named Duran followed by all Cubans should've been a dead giveaway that I was joking.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  Maybe its my love for Duran but he'd be #1 on that list for me. Duran was the **** man haha. Wish I was around to witness him live.

Duran is generally considered the greatest Latino boxer of all time. He usually comes in at around number five on the ATG lists. It's impossible to fully convey the buzz that a fighter created in his time, unless you were there (as with Gavilan), but Roberto was huge during the eighties. He rallied the Latino fan-base as a whole, a feat perhaps no other Latino ever accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
                    or he would have been just like Casamayor. If he would of turn pro earlier he would had to fight Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Hamed, even Pacquiao.
                    True. That's why I said "might've." There's just no telling what might've happened had Rigo fought all those guys. He might've lost to a few of them, beaten a few, lost to all, or beaten all. The shame of it is we'll never know, but could have known.

I had my fears about Guillermo, after witnessing a couple of concerning moments in the ring. But before he turned professional, I considered Rigondeaux a sublime talent. I regarded him the most skilled Cuban fighter I'd ever seen in my time. After his utterly dominant performance over Donaire, my concerns have evaporated. "El Chacal" is as good as I always thought he was.

Comment

I just talked to a Brazilian I worked with and he said they do consider themselves Latinos. I can't argue with that. I still feel how I feel tho.

Comment

Working...
                      X