Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people say its a cherry pick fighting a fighter moving up in weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
    Yet in the same breath say to be great you have to move up in weight?If you move up in weight and are a multi division champion how can anyone cherry pick you if you are in that division?
    Mate, this isn't Roberto Duran moving up to fight Ray Leonard or Carlos Palomino. I'd say this is as good as him moving up to fight Munroe Brooks. Malignaggi is no better than a Brooks level fighter and shouldn't be treated as such, despite the myriad 'titles' available to just about any top ten contender.

It's not a bad fight, bit it's certainly not good either. The reason they are doing it is because Malignaggi is ****e, but he has a 'title' they can win. Simple as that. This really is a cherry pick. He's not moving up to 147 in general, or to stay on and fight other champs, he's only moving up to fight Malignaggi and there is a very specific reason for that.

If he does, which I think is crazy as there is just as much money at 140 and much greater fights overall, then he'll probably just move back down to 140 afterward and then back to 147 later on.

Comment

It depends on the fighter, a lot of boxing fans put too much emphasis on size that's why I made money betting on Pac vs Margarito.

Comment

Yet in the same breath say to be great you have to move up in weight?If you move up in weight and are a multi division champion how can anyone cherry pick you if you are in that division?
        The irony of it all, you can usually find it easy to find posts from floyd fans saying Pac lost to a lightweight in JMM and LWW in bradley.

We mustnt forget Pac moved up from flyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
          The irony of it all, you can usually find it easy to find posts from floyd fans saying Pac lost to a lightweight in JMM and LWW in bradley.

Mike Tyson once weighed what Pac did its a part of growing , interesting fact isnt it , its also interesting that Pac was bigger than 95 % of his opponents right through his career and the others were CWed , its so funny how Pac fanboys like to play Pac the destructive monster while CWing opponents and then its Pac the flyweight when he loses .

Comment

Fans these days definitely seem to put too much stock into "He was moving up in weight, no credit for that win"

I mean, it's one weight class. If someone moves up from 130 to 135 is it that big of a deal?

Then again, we live in a time now where it seems very difficult to get credit for any win.

We have fighters like Trout for example who was a big underdog against Cotto and he beats him and suddenly he's not supposed to get credit for the victory. Or Froch Vs Abraham is another example. The list goes on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              Mate, this isn't Roberto Duran moving up to fight Ray Leonard or Carlos Palomino. I'd say this is as good as him moving up to fight Munroe Brooks. Malignaggi is no better than a Brooks level fighter and shouldn't be treated as such, despite the myriad 'titles' available to just about any top ten contender.

It's not a bad fight, bit it's certainly not good either. The reason they are doing it is because Malignaggi is ****e, but he has a 'title' they can win. Simple as that. This really is a cherry pick. He's not moving up to 147 in general, or to stay on and fight other champs, he's only moving up to fight Malignaggi and there is a very specific reason for that.

If he does, which I think is crazy as there is just as much money at 140 and much greater fights overall, then he'll probably just move back down to 140 afterward and then back to 147 later on.
              And they are rushing because they know Malignaggi won't hold it much longer.

I actually don't want Broner to stay at 147 though. I'd rather he beat Malignaggi and then return to 135 and finish business there. They say he'll weigh in t 141 so it shouldn't be too big an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                And they are rushing because they know Malignaggi won't hold it much longer.

I actually don't want Broner to stay at 147 though. I'd rather he beat Malignaggi and then return to 135 and finish business there. They say he'll weigh in t 141 so it shouldn't be too big an issue.
                yea, thats the bright spot in all of this, if he intends to weigh 141, that means he doesnt really plan on staying at 147. or at least i assume that to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

Only reason you hear posts like that is because those same fans ****ted on Floyd for dominating the same Marquez calling him a lightweight then

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    It depends on the fighter, a lot of boxing fans put too much emphasis on size that's why I made money betting on Pac vs Margarito.
                    I made a killing on that fight as well, bet on Pac not stopping Marg at 5/1, even tho it should have been stopped. I was grinding my teeth at the end of the fight and it made the fight not enjoyable because i was worried about the stoppage and losing $1200

Comment

Try as you might, making tons of bumsniffing flojob threads wont make this crap fight any more pallatable.

Comment

Working...
                      X