No announcement yet.

Let's Be Realistic for a Few Seconds- Broner Shouldn't Move to 140

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
    When someone weighs 150 at fight time and they fight a little guy at 135 there's a reason for that he lacks the confidence to fight at 140. I know how boxer think I was a boxer in the amateurs and i also trained fighters. Many fighters have sucked down in weight to fight little guys they know they can beat and to avoid a bigger guy they lack confidence in beating in the next weight class. For example Chavez Jr knows he would have never won a Paper championship at 168
    Yeah Rios too, what a scared guy he was. He weighed over 150 sometimes while fighting at 135.

Broner is 23 years old, just moved up to Lightweight like 3 months ago. No need to rush him to his 3rd weight class already. He should fight 2 more times at 135 this year, than go to 140.

Comment

When someone weighs 150 at fight time and they fight a little guy at 135 there's a reason for that he lacks the confidence to fight at 140. I know how boxer think I was a boxer in the amateurs and i also trained fighters. Many fighters have sucked down in weight to fight little guys they know they can beat and to avoid a bigger guy they lack confidence in beating in the next weight class. For example Chavez Jr knows he would have never won a Paper championship at 168
      The game has to change when you turn pro. Its about that check for the long term. When you're as talented and brash as Broner the bigger boys will come to him the same way they did with Mayweather and Manny. Haymon has the right idea thus far. I always said he wouldn't be challenged until 140. Doesn't mean he should rush to get there. As long as he's not frail like Rios trying to make 135 he's in great position.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
        age.. 23.

nuff said but i will continue regardless.

he can start a legacy by being one of the most dominant lightweigths in history, cleaning up the division and dominating the best 135 has to offer. when he naturally grows out of that division he can move on to 140, take on the best in that division and keep building on his legacy. 147 would be next, if and when his body is ready of course.

idk why ppl are pushing a 23 year old to go out of his way and handicap himself by boxing in higher divisions when hes comfortable at 135. the 140lb weightclass wont go nowhere and most of its stars are young as well. so whats the rush? vasquez-burns winner and abril would all be good names on his resume and would establish him in history at 135.

after that you can see whos at 135 and if nobody is there a move would make sense if his body is ready for it. if he moved up now the same ppl who want him at 140 asap will turn around and claim he did it to duck burns and vasquez.
        broner should just fight the winner of vazquez vs burns next, and maybe afterwards fight abril before moving up to 140 (which he can get done this year)...all the exciting and big money match-ups for broner are at 140. so there's just no point in sticking around in a weak division while 140 is still very hot..broner is 23, yes, but he's not a small guy at all (comes into the ring at 150+)...

and sometimes you just need to take risks in order to achieve greatness...when pac was 24 he went up in weight to fight barrera who was considered #3 p4p..had he just stayed at 122 he could have missed the opportunity of facing barrera while he was on top.
        Last edited by Bermuda; 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Vazquez-Burns
          Abril
          Gamboa

135 is not the complete wasteland people make it out to be. Plus you never know what good fighters may rise up in due time. I still want to see him at 140 of coarse, but there's still work to be done at LW, just not another Reese por favor.

Comment

This is the problem with boxing fans nowadays. They'd rather see their fighter babied and protected rather than see him face stiff comp. lets take mayweather fans for example. As a fan you should want to see him test himself against the likes of Martinez win or lose. If he beats him then it would put an exclamation point on his legacy. If he were to lose nobody can discredit him for having the balls to take the risky challenge. As for broner, all the talent and comp is at 140. Whats the point of having the fastest car on the block if you're only going to race no hopers with lesser performing cars?
            Last edited by Deevel916; 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Pacquiao gained 16 lbs overnight fighting as a 130 lb'er as well. Weighed 146 fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
                Everybody wants to rush him. He's 23. After a years time he could possibly face Rigo, Donaire, Gamboa, Russell Jr and Mikey. Hang around youngster. The best talent is behind you. I always wished Mayweather would have hung around at LW a bit longer to thumb tac the names Barrera Hamed and Morales on his wall. Its always good to get some skeletons of guys who go on to be champions. Patients will make him greater. If he goes by the fan's clock he'll be fighting at jmw next month. He'll catch some quality guys at 135 for a year or so.
                140 is loaded with excitement but less talent than the guys coming up behind them. They can sort out their business then the best will find AB.
                Good point actually. There are always guys coming up. Broner is more likely to have a bullseye on him from guys at 130 an 135 now.

Comment

The best case scenario would be for him to fight the winner of Burns Vazquez then fight the winner of Abril Bogere then move up to 140

Comment

Originally posted by UrDazed View Post
                    He looked great last night, weighed in less than the lightweight limit. Not like Rios who looked crack-addled during his time struggling to make the lightweight limit.

There are also far too many promotional humps to overcome, Haymon normally doesn't match his fighters together. So what's the point of moving to 140 where a Haymon fighter is already a champion?

He can't fight Rios, Bradley, Marquez, etc. because they are with Top Rank and Arum isn't interested in working with GBP.

Might as well clean out lightweight and just rule that division.
                    Translation: Broner should stay here and not go to 140 where there is better and stronger opposition.

This is called Professional Ducking!

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                      Translation: Broner should stay here and not go to 140 where there is better and stronger opposition.

This is called Professional Ducking!
                      No, Pacquiao taking back an offer to fight Mosley in 2009, then waiting and fighting him in 2011 when he looks like crap is professional ducking.

Comment

Working...
                      X